Best Things For Smoothie

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bob8011, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

? Do you have any scientific data to back up your assumptions?

Nothing you can eat is 100% balanced, and you need a balance of all things to be healthy. Fruits are one of those things. They have fiber and vitamins in them, as well as anti-oxidants and potassium. A homemade smoothie, with coconut water (not milk) and wheat germ and flax seed can be more beneficial in it's proteins, vitamins and electrolytes than most cereals.

Here's just one example;

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/benefits/index.html
    http://www.oohoi.com/natural remedy/everyday_food/Benefits-of-Fruit.htm
    http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/17673/top-6-health-benefits-of-citrus-fruits/
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/health-benefits-of-fruits-and-vegetables-ga.htm
    http://mypyramid.gov/pyramid/fruits_why.html

You should try actually doing some research before you post.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Your hostility towards me is not surprising. In a way I've rained on your smoothie parade which is probably something very enjoyable for you and something you've been told is healthy for you - which makes you feel good about yourself.

32.5g of sugar is a lot. The typical soft drink has about 40g per 8 oz serving (not much more.) Our bodies don't need sugar and the minuscule amounts of fiber from any given fruit doesn't even come close to compare to the fiber content of whole grains and vegetables - again fruits aren't necessary and should only be eaten minimally (a piece of fruit at the end of the day at most.)

The vanilla yogurt is dairy and consequently contains lactates. The human body after the age of 4 doesn't contain the enzymes to break down lactates and so any dairy items are harmful to our bodies - not to mention the high fat content most of them contain.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I'm not hostile at all. And I am well informed about smoothies. The one I posted isn't one that I myself would drink. I don't use dairy products, as I know that the proteins and lactates they have in them are very hard for the human body to break down. I use coconut water in my smoothies, which has almost no fats what so ever, a very low sugar content and significant amounts of potassium. It's also the closest things we can get to a normal human electrolyte, therefore it's much easier for us to absorb into our system. The fiber content in both the wheat germ and the fruits is very good for my colon and my system in general as is the nutrients and anti-oxidants that the fruits and fiber provide. The crushed flax seed I use is also rich in omegas and very lot in fat. Wheat germ has fats, but only unsaturated fats in very small amounts. Also, wheat germ is known to be a fat burner.

Fruits are meant to be eaten more than one a day, so says every dietician and every medically available information you can find. The sugars in fruits aren't the same as the refined sugars from cane and corn that you are talking about, they are different things just like fats are different.

You need to do more research before you post. And that's not being hostile, that's stating a fact. Try reading some of the links I provided and then think about all the information they contain that comes from scientists and researchers in that area of expertise.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Liebling, I personally find the whole actually providing evidence thing to be a little hostile. Non-hostile people provide NO evidence for what they say.

This is how you do it:

Me: Did you know gum has the exact same nutrients as meat?

You: Do you have evidence?

Me: Stop being hostile.

8. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But gawlllllie tak, sugah... yous cain't especk us awl to acksiually backs up wut we says.

Froots are bad, mmmmkay?

9. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Thank you for dropping your hostility, Liebling.

Now put down your fruit. These potato chips have all the nutrients you'll need. They're made out of vegetables!

10. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I love it when you talk dirty to me.

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I use stevia extract and honey for natural sweetening if desired.

@ liebling: Have you ever tried Soy milk?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Should I get the popcorn ?

13. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I like soy milk, but I don't like the refined sugars and flavours they add to most of them. I prefer coconut water for the potassium and add the wheat germ for proteins instead.

If I am adding matcha to my smoothie, I like to use soy because the soy balances out the bitter of the matcha and gives it a creamy consistancy. I've added blackstrap molasses to mine for the iron and calcium though and it adds a very nice flavour. Stevia tends to "cleanse" me in a way I don't prefer, but using a honey that is produced locally to your area is very good at combating and building up allergy immunities to your own community.

There is actually a great chart HERE for gauging which foods and which nutrients are better for your system and easier to digest. They also have some great recipes for all things.

14. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Is it heavily buttered with real salted butter? mMmmaybe.

15. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Please use your clean hand for that. The one that's not busy.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Mmm yup !

Good point, thanks ! :thumbsup:

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How does it stay frozen?

18. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I am pretty sure he/she meant to have the ingredients in the right measurements prepared and you can just toss them into the blender and go. When I cut up fruits at their peak season, I put them into little baggies with the date on them in the freezer and then during the year I can just grab them and go. It's just convenient that way. There are smoothie mixes you can buy that boost smoothie fiber and nutrient content at the health food store too, but I try to avoid processed foods as often as possible. All those preservatives and chemicals can't be all that great for your body, since most of them are toxic in higher doses. I'm of the belief that just because your body can filter it, doesn't mean it was meant to do so. While it's not always possible or convenient to avoid those things, you can cut down on ingesting unnecessary chemicals by being aware of the contents of your food. If it's not listed, you can try asking.

19. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Sugar is sugar is sugar, whether it's date sugar, honey or refined sugar - don't kid yourself. It is true however that artificial sweeteners are much worse than sugars.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

really? All of them?

21. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Oh God. If only I could publish those dirty, "Who would you rather sleep with here?" emails.

Stevia is yummisch!

I dunno. Do you generally feel like eating during hot girl on girl sex?

ALWAYS better to use butter. Normal butter. No butter jokes.

Dear God. I actually coughed up snot while laughing and reading that.

Save all those unsavory chemicals added to refined sugar.

And the jury's not in on sucralose's dangers, although I can testify to the diarrhea/migraine trigger thing.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

would watermelon be a waste in a smoothie? Seems like it would water down the drink

23. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Watermelon is mostly water, like most melon, and it doesn't seem to add a lot of substance. If I was making something really creamy, I might throw it in for the heck of it.