best sleeping position

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by allisone417, Nov 28, 2005.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Things take time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also, men are reported to go into growth again, around their 19-20's.
    So you might still grow.

But that doesn't actually matter. As long as you're healthy and have a good heart, it's alright.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. |2eptile Banned Banned

thanks for the tip, hope I go into growth again then haha, im gonna try and keep up the sleeping on my back thing and see how it works out... might have to try every other night or something so I don't lose too much sleep haha

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Genji Registered Senior Member

Interesting. I always start out on my back but end up on my left side with an inexplicable death grip on a pillow.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

ever see a cat sleep?
    on the side. arms outstretched loosely. legs, loose at the knee and slightly curved up. like it was meant to be half-fetal but fell asleep before getting there.
    now that's comfortable.
    ...doesn't work well with bedmates, though.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yea... I have my own bed. I think it's what you call "queen size." I am all over that bitch when I sleep. However when I have to share sleeping space, I get quite uncomfortable.

9. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

i'm like that. there's only ever been one person i could share a bed with and that's my husband. now i can't sleep well without the extra warmth.

since you have a big bed (the only bed to have) why don't you try the position. the key is you have to relax into it. and cradle your head on something besides your shoulder or you'll get stiff. feather pillows are hard but they mold and cradly like nothing else.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

When I sleep on my back I almost always have a fitful sleep.
    I have many vivid (often lucid) dreams.
    I wake up often.
    And I have a hell of a time falling asleep (it could take 2 - 3 hours or even more).

If I sleep on my stomach, I sleep like a rock, I almost never dream (or at least don't remember), I fall alseep in usually less than 30 minutes and I feel more rested in the morning.
    Though, since I started using a Nicotine patch, I have been having more vivid and detailed dreams, but still waking up well rested.

I know that sleeping on your back is supposed to be better for you, so for years I tried and the results never changed.
    So I bought a nice, firm Tempurpedic matterss, and sleep comfortably on my stomach, and have no back-aches in the morning.
    I save lying on my back for meditation and when I am TRYING to have lucid dreams.

I do, however, usually lie on my back for about 20 minutes or so to stretch and relax my back before flipping over on my stomach to go to sleep.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm curious.
    I was talking to a psychiatrist a while back, lamenting over my nearly non-existent dream life, when he said that I should be thankful of not remembering my dreams.
    He said that not recalling my dreams is a sign of a sound sleep, and those who do have an active and vivid dream life that they can recall in detail in the morning are not sleeping as well...

I have the most trouble sleeping when my mind is active, and my mind seems most active when I am on my back.
    Like I said, when I sleep on my back I have a fitful sleep, do not rest well and recall all my dreams.

I wonder if there is a correlation with others.
    Maybe it is some physical thing about spinal alignment and blood flow to the brain or some such thing that makes my mind more active when I am on my back.

Those of you who sleep on their backs...
    Do you sleep well?
    Do you wake rested?
    Do you fall alseep quickly?
    Do you have an active and vidid dream world that you have no trouble recalling the next day?

How about those that sleep on their stomachs?

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

That depends mostly on what and how late I have eaten. If I have last eaten, and eaten something light, at least 3 hours before going to bed, then I'll likely sleep well.
    Also, if I have exercised that day. If I haven't, chances are sleep won't come easy.
    And also depending on my state of mind -- if I am worried, I won't sleep well. I have found that concentration meditation before bedtime is bad for me; it wakes my mind up, makes it alert -- and then sleep won't come easily. Metta meditation before bedtime is good. If I am too pissed off, or too distracted to meditate, I read Moby Dick in bed, and that usually settles me enough to fall asleep.

Mostly, yes. I also rarely sleep through the night, and wake up at least once. Either to feed or otherwise tend to the cat, or because I have to go pee. I then remember several dream sessions per night, not only the last one before waking. And I then also usually wake up all broken and tired.

Considering all this, I get one or two good nights of sleep per week, if all else goes well. Which isn't much, but I have actually gotten used to it over the years.

But I am currently working on reorganizing my falling asleep and waking, to develop a kind of a ritual before I go to bed and for when I first wake.
    When I still prayed, that worked, it gave my sleeping and waking a frame, and I could often go to sleep and wake up more easily. So now I'm trying to figure out something new.

13. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

no joke. for those of you with partners, try sex before bed. it puts me right to sleep. and i don't dream as much, no matter the position.