Best SciFi moment in ST or SW or both!!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The title says it all, fellow sciforumers . What is your favorite moment in Star Trek or Star Wars...or both!

For Star Trek-In Generations, when Picard is surrounded by his family and sees the exploding star in the christmas ornament. Pure art, my friends, ahhh.

For Star Wars-When Han Solo gets frozen in carbonite and the events leading up to it, as well as the escape after it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. esp Registered Senior Member

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
    Enterprise and Excelsior taking a pounding from the cloaked Bird of Prey. Plasma seeking Photon Torpedo launched. Hits.
    Sulu:"Target that explosion and FIRE"

Or perhaps in First Contact.
    "Perhaps today is a good day to die.
    Prepare for ramming speed!"
    "There's another starhip coming in! It's the Enterprise"
    The way Enterprise sweeps between the Defiant and the Borg cube, sheilds glowing from the Borg weapons.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

From one of the Star Trek TV shows, the Klingons find out that the big boss guy is a changeling like Odo. How do the klingons solve this big nasty problem? They ALL just pull out guns and shoot, and keep shooting until there's nothing left. That was funny.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Odo was a character from DS9

esp, before I thought you said that you liked star trek 5 for some reason and I remembered that that was probably the worst one ever made (written and possibly directed by shatner). Ah well. Star Trek six was a good one, but not[in my humble opinion] as good as Star Trek 2 or Generations.

8. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

Nah, ST:6 was easily one of the best. Generations was an overblown episode of the TV series with a much publicised "teaming up" of Picard and Kirk that ended up nothing more than a short fist fight on some obscure planet about 20 minutes before the end of the film.
    2 was pretty good and I *think* it was directed by the same bloke who did 6, but I think 6 had better acting and a bit better humour, though I prefer the action of ST:2. Well thats my opinion anyway.

Favourite moment is from SW in "The Empire Strikes Back" when the Millenium Falcon is on the run from tie fighters after leaving Hoth. Leia tells Han that the tie fighters are gaining on them, Han says "Watch this!", and we hear the engines clap out. Han desperately try's to make repairs to the hyperdrive before steering the ship into a huge asteroid belt

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

would you beleive, mine too!

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, ESB is definitely the best of the star wars films, and that scene did cross my mind when I wrote the thread.

As for your view on Generations, Dracula's Guest, I was a wee lil one when it first came out and remember seeing it in the movie theatre but not seeing any commercials on tv. I think that what made Next Generation the best star trek series was the fact that it didn't always have constant action more appealing to the redneck-y audiences that watch enterprise or voyager, for instance, which really took a break from complex, scientific, out-of-the-box plots and just made constant shootouts with the borg (which I must say I've had enough of. Yeah, they're scary, they kill people, but despite seeming overwhelmingly powerful and numerous they only send ONE cube to Earth TWICE. That is not a good strategy. It'd be like sending one US tank to afghanistan and hoping that it would find osama bin laden. nuff said

) amongst other species.

I think the only reasons that next gen is better than the original star trek is the fact that it lasted much, much longer (and is arguably the favorite among fans), and has even now up-to-date special effects (besides the three or four shots they have of the enterprise floating in space that they run about twenty times each). The first Star Trek was also really, really low budget while the second was popular enough to have a really solid one, giving the creators enough space to work with (pun intended).

Now, following into my argument about generations, you say that generations is like the next gen episodes. I say this is a GOOD thing, that the other next gen trek movies (possibly exluding first contact, possibly ) are really not very well written cascades of visual affects and action, while generations was really out of the box. I can really tell the difference between Rodenberry and Rick Berman (who I think oversees most of the creative intellect of the show but I could be wrong). It seems like Rodenberry makes his show appeal to more scifi-like people who are interested in really wierd things, basically, while Berman wants to appeal to the [much smaller than abc which originally broadcast the show] UPN network, drawing a wider audience since not too many people watch that cable one anyway (I get every single channel in the US except UPN, although I've heard how bad enterprise is I still think its a major bummer!).

Phew that was a long post.

11. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Best moment/scene:

Yoda: Through the force, things you will see. Other places. The future... the past... old friends long gone.
    Luke: Han! Leia!
    Yoda: Hmm. Control, control. You must learn control.
    Luke: I saw... I saw a city in the clouds.
    Yoda: Mmm. Friends you have there.
    Luke: They were in pain.
    Yoda: It is the future you see.
    Luke: Future? Will they die?
    Yoda: Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.
    Luke: I've got to go to them.
    Yoda: Decide you must how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could, but you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.

12. esp Registered Senior Member

Well, Pollux, I don't know where you got the idea that I think ST5 was good. It really is the bottom of the barrel, even after ST3.
    Although The Final Frontier (the film) did have one good scene.

Onboard the IKV Whateveritsnameis, Kirk hugs Spock.
    "Please, Captain, Not in front of the Klingons".

But consider this: "Guess who's coming to dinner" (Checkov)
    or
    "We need breathing room"..."Earth, Hitller, 1938". Spock nearly chokes. LOL

13. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

TNG - "The Naked Now "

The entire episode was hilarious if you were part of the "in" crowd and had watched enough episodes to get the jokes, but the interaction between Data and Lt. Yar was perfect.
    Fell off the sofa during this one!

Peace.

14. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

Yeah, TNG was probably my favourite series too, I grew up with it, but I thought that Generations was a titchy bit of a let down. There were some good moments in it, but I remember hearing about this whole "team up" between picard and kirk and expected a nice convergance of 2 era's of Star Trek. Most of the film focused on the TNG crew, which is good, but when the film had been hyped as a kind of meeting of the titans, it was kind of a let down. There were several episodes of TNG that had appearances from the original trek crew, but most of them had the cast heavily involved in the plot in some way. For instance, there was an episode where Scotty was preserved in a transporter beam on a small ship inside a Dyson sphere (I think). Scotty then had to work with LaForge to rescue the Enterprise that had got trapped inside.
    William Shatner didnt really have much use in Generations other than to distract Malcom McDowell while Picard went off to disable a launcher. He may as well have been replaced by a hologram or a freak thunder storm. Perhaps if it hadnt been hyped so much as a big team up I wouldnt have minded. It wasn't a bad film so much, just mis-hyped.

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I remember that episode, I think he was just remenicing (if that's how you spell it), but he didn't look like he was seventy years older than his last appearance in the Star Trek timeline (he says that its been a long seventy years since he'd been to the bridge of the Enterprise). It was a good episode and LaForge spent the whole time proving to Scotty that he wasn't worthless.

You are right when you say that Kirk didn't matter too much, but he did do his job and saved the inhabitants of Veridian 4 (the populated world). Picard wouldn't have been able to have done that on his own, and a hologram program wouldn't have done too much good anyway. Kirk should've had a more powerful role, maybe he could've ridden the trilithium missile and turned it away from the sun, exploding in space. That would've been a better end for Kirk.

16. Hoth Registered Senior Member

He wasn't 70 years older -- he was the exact age he was when he took that ship to his retirement colony. Scotty was stuck in the transporter for those 70 years, in the dyson sphere, and you don't age when you're just a pattern in a transporter. With his comment he was just observing that in actual real time it had been 70 years, even though most of that time was missing for him.

I liked Generations. I didn't care about it not being a teaming up the two crews, I just thought it was a good film. It trails Star Trek II in my opinion, but edges out Star Trek VI and easily beats all the rest.

DS9 was my favorite series. TNG was good, but there was just something about DS9 I liked better... maybe the edge it had to it compared to TNG.

As far as a Star Trek moment above all others, I'll take the ending of Star Trek II -- from "remember" on. (Or the whole movie for that matter. It's interesting how much the concepts in it have in common with Generations, actually.)

Edit: here's my favorite moment: http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/khan.shtml

Last edited: Mar 4, 2002