Best Scifi/Fantasy book/book series

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 15, 2002.

?

Which Scifi/Fantasy/ book/book series is the best?

1. 2001 Series-Arthur C. Clarke

5 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Enders Game Series-Orson Scott Card

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Sword of Truth Series-Terry Goodkind

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Lord of the Rings Series-JRR Tolkien

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series-Doug Adams

11 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe-C.S Lewis

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Assorted Star Trek Novels

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Assorted Star Wars Novels

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Dune Series-Frank Herbert

13 vote(s)
    15.3%
  10. Foundation-Isaac Asimov

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Mary Stewart's Arthurian Saga:

Crystal Cave, Hollow Hills. The Last Enchantment.

Absolutely brilliant--the writing, the narration,the humanizing of Merlin, romance, intrigue, etc... I hope some of you here who have not read them do..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. oldie Registered Senior Member

The Lensman series by Doc Smith. That is where Lucas got his Jedi Knight idea from. The books were written in the 1930-1940 time frame.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You know if he's written one after the oen where he meets his sister or whoever?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

More than being the most realized science fiction universe Dune is also the most thought provoking. There are enduring lessons to be gained from the read about the nature of life, war, and politics. None exist who can deny the enchantment given by those blurbs before each chapter. Each is relevant and engaging.

The characters flow naturally and are all rounded through backstory and empathy. Every faction has a historical goal and each exercises its plan in a weaving myriad of subplots. It is certainly the deepest Scifi universe, more so than even Lord of the Rings the book to which Arthur C. Clarke compared it.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Alan Dean Foster

Not in paperback, anyway. I quite reading hardbacks when I fell asleep reading Michener's "Texas" and flattened my nose. It is Flinx's sister. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her. In the meantime I'm enjoying the Catechist series. And "Kingdoms of Light" was perfect vintage Foster, "sense of wonder" on every page.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  9. TheEnd Registered Member

I loved the first two books in the original Dune Series. After Messiah though, I kinda lost interest.

10. methylcellulose Registered Senior Member

From the choices on the poll, I like the Ender's Saga. Dune would come in fairly close (but only the prequels).

Had the Belgariad (Eddings), Wheel of Time (Jordan), or Song of Ice and Fire (Martin) books been listed..it would have been a very hard choice.

11. methylcellulose Registered Senior Member

Ooops. Forgot the Riftwar series (Feist).

12. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

well, its a dirty job, but somebodys got to do it
    since no one else is speaking up for Michael Crichton's jurassic park ill hafta do it

damn good book

he sold out on the sequel though

13. atreides1977 Registered Member

Too Broad

I think you question is too broad to really examine which is best

14. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

Prey and Timeline were good too

15. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

What do you think of the new Dune novels? Are they any good? I don't want to spoil my fond memories. Lord of the Rings is the definitive fantasy - you can't picture an elf or orc any other way once you've read it. I own the whole Shannara series, although I was a bit upset that the last three tried to "trick" me into buying them, they were a little too commercial. I have read enough David Eddings to like him, but not enough to be able to judge. I wouldn't vote DiscWorld because it's a hit-or-miss series that reminds me of the days when I collected Superman comic books. The Foundation series is brilliant, but a bit patronizing. Arthur C. Clarke goes without saying, but he feels a bit archaic in retrospect.

Did anybody else read the Fionavar Tapestry?

16. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

I don't think this is even debateable. Tolkien wins out by far. He created entire races, entire languages and entire worlds. That man did not leave anything unwritten. What a brilliant mind.

17. candy Valued Senior Member

Would recommend the works of Andre Norton.

18. altec One seeking truth Registered Senior Member

My favorite in that list is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but my favorite series of all time is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am in the middle of the third book, and I am so engrossed, I can barely put it down.

19. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I am dismayed to find that David Eddings Belgariad Series is not in there for that is where my vote goes, if it was there that is, which it is not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Robert Jordan Wheel of Time should be there too, so my vote will go with JRR himself - the master.

Glad to see The Foundation Series there, masterful Sci Fi, read that many many years ago.

20. zagen Philophanian Registered Senior Member

I agree about Robert Jordan, I would vote for his wheel of time series since i just finished up to 9 a few days ago, but Douglas Adams is just as good. I would think The Vampire Chronicals by Anne Rice would be up there also, but they're not that popular to the general public.
    Tolken and Card are great, but just a little lower than Adams. I think his books were the only ones that made me cry.. from laughing so much.

Here's a link to the most influential sci fi books of usa today... link now they may be influential, but not really the best. Though they still are pretty good.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  21. PhiloNysh Registered Member

His Dark Materials

The best Fantasy series, in my opinion, is His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. These books create a story of parallel universes, while defying the existance of God. It give meaning to the word 'age' through Dust, as well as uses history to define time. The usage of daemons create this greater understanding of human nature.

Over all, I would definitely recommend anyone to pick the trilogy off the shelves, and start the exciting journey on which the series takes you.

Although I must agree with the Wheel of Time saga by Robert Jordan. I am in the middle of the second book, and can barely put it down. So far the first seems better though.

With Tolkien, although his writing is beautiful and his saga amazing, I find his work occasionally racist, like the fact that all the men supporting Sauron were dark, and had an arab-like appearance. They also had animals similar to elephants (which can only be found in certain parts of Asia and Africa). Otherwise he was an amazing writer.

22. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

I read the Fionavar Tapestry. It was like wrenching a pointed stick around in my gut.

The resolution of the story was, at least at the moment, the most idiotic resolution I can even think of. It was even worse than the end of Ender's Game...

23. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Re: His Dark Materials

I think your "racist" interpretation is unwarranted. Their "dark" complexion is a narrative device (good=light/white (like Gandalf) bad=darkness/black). And of course, Tolkien was born in South Africa (Bloemfontein), so I'm sure elephants had natural place in his upbringing and his imagination.