Best Scifi/Fantasy book/book series

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 15, 2002.

?

Which Scifi/Fantasy/ book/book series is the best?

1. 2001 Series-Arthur C. Clarke

5 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Enders Game Series-Orson Scott Card

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Sword of Truth Series-Terry Goodkind

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Lord of the Rings Series-JRR Tolkien

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series-Doug Adams

11 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe-C.S Lewis

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Assorted Star Trek Novels

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Assorted Star Wars Novels

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Dune Series-Frank Herbert

13 vote(s)
    15.3%
  10. Foundation-Isaac Asimov

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Post your opinion and explain why! If I missed anything make sure to tell me and I'll edit the pole (moderator options heeheehee). LET'S DEBATE!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I said the 2001 series by Arthur C. Clarke because these books have real groundings in science, they do not involve pure action and war, and are very enjoyable. I believe that 3001 is quite possibly the best science fiction book I have ever read.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Hitchhiker Trilogy is the funniest book series ever. (Except possibly the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Wh at about anything that comes out of the Sprawl?( SPrawl Series)

Okay, Cyberpunk genre writers like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling to name but two of the many people that have helped capture the imagination of all technocrats across the globe.

BTW for you uk based people, Ch5 is running Johnny Mneumonic this Sunday. Okay it's only a re-vamp of the short story from "Burning Chrome" written by W. Gibson, some people didn't like it, while others say that the re-vamp has parts in that do make it almost a different story altogether.

8. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

I feel that the 2001 series of novels is the best written because the technology in them is so close to reality now and Arthur C. Clarke is one hell of a good writer

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

You missed the best books of all time

the belgariad by DAVID EDDINGS

10. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I really don't think there are enough choices here I think there should also be Discworld by Terry pratchet, Foundation, by Asimov, The Eternal Champion series by Moorcock, and The Oracle Trilogy by Mike Resnick.

Plus others that I can't think of at the moment.

11. Skeeve65 Registered Member

Hi all!

I chose the Lord of the Ring series as the best choice. However my favorite fantasy series hands down is the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I love that series so much, I named my son after the king of Amber, Random.
    My favorite sci-fi series is the Sten novels by Alan Cole and Chris Bunch.
    Honorable mention goes to the diaries of Conrad Stargaard by Leo Frankowski.

12. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Hard choice. I love them all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. thoth Registered Member

The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant

14. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You're gonna make me choose!?

Skeeve65-
    is that from the Myth Series? I must say, if I'm gonna choose, either that or Anne McCaffrey's Pern books.

15. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I think there are too many scifi and Fantasy books to do a poll on them, especially if you're doing both. Besides which I don't think you can really say if a book is "good" or "the best", it dpeends ont he reader, and the kind of style/book they prefer.

16. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Check the sticky for my list.

17. le coq Registered Senior Member

voting present

I've never finished any of these! I've read 2001 and 2010, but not 3001; and I've never read past HHGTTG book 1 (though I've read both Dirk Gently books; I love DA). I would like to add the Hyperion books, and the *ware series by Rudy Rucker to the poll. Typically I don't get into series; I like Philip K. Dick and books that don't milk themselves into series. I would categorically request a separation of church and state between fantasy and sf for a more interesting poll. While sf may allow some supernatural occurrences, by definition it should have a naturalistic bent.

John Le Coq

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Perhaps more choices....I went with the Ender Series (no one else voted for it, me the first *shocked and discouraged*) only because there was no Foundation by Asimov, or Discworld by Pratchett, or That Series *points at a random book* by Ben Bova!

But I overreact. Good choices, if somehow limited.

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry for the limited choices, this was just based on my own experience. From this point on you guys can suggest the series or books and their authors, and I'll add them to the list. If you want I can also shift your vote from where you placed it now to where you want it to be. Let the suggestions flow!

20. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

The best scifi TV series is Lexx.

21. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Nah, Star Trek for me! (The ones with Picard and Deep Space Nine)
    Or, in cartoons: X-Men Evolution! (Just 'cause it's Saturday morning, you know?

)

22. Zzyzzx-xien Registered Member

Ok, there is just so many of them I have to agree that a poll for the best Sci-fi/fantasy book is a bit off, But I would have to go for the Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey.

I would have to also add the coldfire series, Chronicles of the blacksword, Dragonlance, Redwall by Brian Jacques (and yes I know it was written for little kids but it was an awesome series), and one of my favorite Sci-fi books The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

23. janeelsa Registered Senior Member

Hey, I was checking out this thread to see if anybody thought of Amber, and there you were. Wasn't it great? (the series, I mean.) Except I didn't like the way Corwin just walked off 'into the sunset' and the next book started with his son. Forgive me everybody, I have to ask this even though I know it's not related to the thread - what do you think of the way they could manifest things into their reality just by thinking about them? Don't you think that we do that also, to a certain degree, but a lot slower?