Best Sci Fi Movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by glaucon, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Shenzhou Shameless Reductionist Registered Senior Member

I believe that another studio is making another version which more closely follws the original novel. It's going to come out at the same time. I think Victorian England vs Mars is a much better premise than Modern America vs Mars.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I heartily agree.

I just hope the women don't act like Victorian women, but Modern American Whores.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

An authentic War of the Worlds production, set at the height of the Victorian era, would be fascinating for the unusual setting - but I'd hope that the movie would give the invasion a more global treatment than the novel, or even more so than Independence Day.

Sure, Britain was the greatest military power at the time. Yet 19th-century artillery and ironclads were clearly no match for the Martians, so we may as well also see them rampaging across Imperial China, or the Wild West, or Zulu country, and witness how different human cultures might react. One assumes the ending is the same everywhere.. in fact, disease might affect the invaders sooner in the tropics than in England.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.