Best Sci Fi Movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by glaucon, Apr 14, 2004.

1. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Gattaca was also a pretty good movie. The director knew exactly what vision he wanted to establish, but the last challenge between the wo brothers was expected and sappy.

Empire Strikes Back and First Contact are also pretty fucking good scifi films.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. barsoom Registered Member

More obscure, but still thought provoking;

The Andromeda Strain
    Seconds
    The Man in the White Suit
    THX 1138 (original version)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. barsoom Registered Member

ASH: "KLAATU BARRADA NI...(mumble)"

Later
    ASH: "Hey, I said the words. Maybe I didn't get every last syllable, but I said the words!"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mickeyboy Powerslave rocks Registered Senior Member

I stand by some of my choices. there are different definitions of good.
    MIB 1 was funny as were the termors movies, independance day was good in as much as when i saw it at the pictures everyone stood up and cheered when the aliens got there ass kicked, so it will always be good for that.
    And i refuse to hear anything said against Stargate, both the film and the series are brilliant.
    so there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh and i saw I Robot the other day and thought that it was amazing actually quite poignant in places, my partner said she thought it was sad

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

They are going to make a remake of the 1953 Scifi movie "The War Of The Worlds" with Tom Cruise as the leading man this time. It might be a good one. I thought the original 1953 movie was great!

Yob Atta

9. onewiththeuniverse onewiththeuniverse Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't it be great if they could make a movie as good as the original but with the technology of todays fx masters.

10. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

This was actually pretty good.

11. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

60 of the top scientists voted "Blade Runner" as the "Best" SciFi movie with "2001 A Space Oddessy" coming in a close second. "The War Of The Worlds" was one of their favorites too.

Yob Atta

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I just saw "Event Horizon"..........It was scary and could be a possibility of what hell waits for some of us........

Yob Atta

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Event Horizon is basically Alien crossed with Hellraiser. It was kinda scary, I agree - most of all for the unseen part, what being in a universe of pure evil would actually mean. And what would it have looked like?

My only gripe was that eponymous spacecraft should not have been "orbiting" inside Neptune's atmosphere. It would have burned up, or been torn to bits by the hypersonic winds.

14. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Seeing as how no one has been to Hell and back and reported on what it's really like there or documented it in any scientific or religious journals that I know of, then I guess the movie "Event Horizon" could be considered a possible (I emphasize the word "possible") preview of what some or most of us can expect, another dimension of pure evil eternally waiting for us once we cross or pass over the so-called "Event Horizon"............Time will tell!

Yob Atta

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Extra Terrestrial Lifeform Registered Member

What about Donnie Darko? It isn't sci/fi in the deepest sense of the category, but it is - at least - a close call ( and a brilliant movie ).

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Barbarella

Saturn 3

Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman

Westworld

The Hellstrom Chronicle

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman(?!)

You're taking the mickey, right? And do you mean the remake with Daryl Hannah (one good reason for watching it) or the original, which I've never seen?

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The origanal one was the funniest one when I saw it. It was Sci Fi at its funniest, IMO.

19. Insanely Elite Questions reality. Registered Senior Member

Although it is dated, I really enjoyed the campy
    Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai
    Many stars, fun camp.
    Nerosurgeon, Astrophysicist, Pop Icon, Test Pilot, what a hero.

20. Roman Banned Banned

Danny Darko was terrible. If that movie could grow up and decide what it wanted to be, I think it'd be ok.

But was it about time travel? Evil bunnies? Teenage angst? Plane crashes? A horrible amalgamtion of these elements?

Waking Life was far superior.

21. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

There are ONLY two candidates: Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and anyone who thinks otherwise a moron.

It has to be the latter though, for it's far far reaching in meaning.

22. I-one Registered Member

Hmmmm, I noticed somebody gave credits to old movies becouse of the lack of fx and couldn't agree more! F. planet would be absolutly great if there wasent Roby and his stupid stupid stupid look and short but stupid sentences!!!
    My all time favorite is Blade... Runner of course!!! Like the Star Wars too an Star Trek also, but ST is a bit childish with it's caracters... Alien is simply to scary for my taste. The creature itself is designed by a satanist Giger! I saw some of his other works... he is really sick! He did the Species also... not much credit for that...
    The Dune was not 80's trash since it is not a trash at all, what couldn't be said for new Dune B-production quasi erotic shit on the tv...

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If you mean the Sci-Fi Channel's Dune miniseries, I actually preferred it to the movie. Better acting, more detail (given more screen time) for just about everything, and a far more pervasive sense of the social heirarchy and nobility.