Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: OZ

Again?

Your first post on this thread was accusing people of talking shit, being pansies, being stupid and having no idea what they are talking about and you made non-sensical comments like the UFC is "undisputed PROOF".
    Then you accuse me of having a "disrespectful tone" when in my first reply to you on this thread.
    Where?
    The worst I said was "*giggles*".

(I guess because you were angry with oz because he stood against the ad hominem attacks that YOU initiated. I don't know or care.)
    Yet you accuse me of being irrational due to some percieved emotional attachment to a fighting style.

Then you go and whine about ad hominem attacks aimed at you when people defend themselves against YOUR attacks.

Now you are talking about my "foul mouthed commentary"?
    Where?
    What foul mouthed commentary?

I have been attacking your arguments and making points to support MY arguments.
    I have not been attacking YOU except in defense of myself.

If you are too damned stupid to see that and get past all this immature bullshit to get back to arguing valid points that were made, then I am done wasting my time with this tired shit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Look here RAVEN

Do you really think this bunch of shit qualifies as being civil?
    Btw, you're not as bad as I orginally thought you were, but in all seriousness, I have a big problem when people swear at me so quickly.

Lets terminate this thread and see what the future holds.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: Look here RAVEN

Fair enough.

*offers hand*

8. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

In today's world, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in
    learning how to use the katana but I don't practice the art to
    use it in a real-world situation; rather, I practice it out of love
    for the art and to remind myself that at some point, individuals
    owed their lives to the perfection of the samurai arts. You may
    not see a point in practicing Kenjutsu but I do: where you see
    uselessness, I see beauty. That is not to say that you have not
    seen the beauty of the art, of course... only that you concern
    yourself primarily with its usefulness in a modern setting.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  9. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Nothing really wrong with this answer.

I'm someone who believes people should adapt to the times, as such I would have thought that a "gun" would have more practical value in terms of self-defense or even a feeling of personal security.

If you or anyone wants to practice weapons training in a ritualistic sense, that's entirely your choice.....it's not what I'd do these days, but that's just me.

10. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

one_raven
    What style is best all depends on the situation.
    UFC style fighting is best for a UFC style tournament.

Just like a bar fighter would get his ass kicked in a martial arts tournament, a Tae Kwon Do fighter would get his ass kicked in a bar fight.

In my humble opinion (as I stated earlier), the dicipline that is most effective over-all for most real-life scenarios is JKD, and it is that much more effective if you are experienced with grappling techniques.
    ===
    it was soo good it deserved a repeat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

JKD
    makes other martial arts look like pre school
    taking from a position of the student innitial training in basic martial arts for many years
    then training in JKD for years after that
    there is no comparison in martial arts

Bruce Lee was more than just a movie star and is still more than any to go public so far

11. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Watching THE LAST SAMURAI made me think about exactly that:
    why couldn't firearms be integrated in the "samurai arts", used
    in a way which makes them even more powerful and effective ?
    Had they adapted to the times instead of holding on to specific
    and now tired ways because of their code, they would've been
    strong even to this day. Something I disagree with, is how you
    describe my following the art ritualistically: you do EXACTLY the
    same with the specific techniques you've chosen to keep for what
    you consider your own art/fighting style.

12. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Solidus

My own style is strictly about effectiveness, although I have made considerations with regard to techniques which I describe as "excessive", IOW, I'm don't train any death blows or cripple techniques, so my style is realistic and applicable, I won't regret using my moves to defend myself.

If your weapons training is impractical, then it ís neither an insult nor an error to describe it as ritualistic.

13. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

... and Kenjutsu wasn't about effectiveness ?

I do not consider it an insult that you describe it as ritualistic, as
    your fighting system is exactly the same.

In any case, I've answered the initial topic question(s) so I will
    leave it be. Nice exchanging with you, David.

14. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

David Mayes
    try and think in what way your comments differ from a teen ager with their first car, talking about driving?

sounds to me like you have a long way to go before you would have any specific knolledge to comment of anything short of a boxing match with the odd round house kick in volved to please the audience

that is how you come across in your posts
    you lack the obviouse mental training of a true martial artist just in the manner of how you post your comments

maybe you should read some of Bruce Lee's philosophy?
    a real martial artist is skilled in many things
    NOT JUST ONE! (at what ever level you consider yourself)

15. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

I've already told this forum that one doesn't have to be a martial artist to know that UFC and the hybrid UFC style has been proven as most effective, certainly of any style that represented itself.

I'm 35, have spent a far bit of time around martial arts, and have the capacity to think logically, OTOH, people like you seem content to ignore reality and HERO worship any variety of unproven styles/philosophies.

Btw, whilst sociology isn't quite in the same league as the physical sciences in terms of its subject matters invariable nature, there still is an emphasis on critical thinking and objectivity....try it someday.

16. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

David Mayes
    I've already told this forum that one doesn't have to be a martial artist to know that UFC and the hybrid UFC style has been proven as most effective, certainly of any style that represented itself.
    ===
    you are correct in a logical manner
    you do not need to be of a particular standard of learning to comment on anything

effectiveness is a relative term to what you personaly chose to extract from your specific situation
    maybe it was the thing that helped you in many ways
    that does not mean it is effective in any other SPECIFIC situation
    givent hat that situation may be interpreted by different people in different ways to achive similar or opposing results to a similar effectual outcome
    ===
    I'm 35, have spent a far bit of time around martial arts, and have the capacity to think logically, OTOH, people like you seem content to ignore reality and HERO worship any variety of unproven styles/philosophies.
    ===
    sorry i dont know what "OTOH" means

what you think and what IS are two completely different things
    when you mention the word "reality" it makes me wonder why you would not comprehend "death blows/strikes"

you mention the word "proven"
    proven of what?
    that all people play by some international boxing rules?
    that there is no such thinking outside the realms of standing in a square and punching and kicking an opponent in the head
    if media orientated heavily controlled full contact hand to hand (glove to glove) sport is a bassis of proven reality then we wopuld not have any truely violent crime for one small aspect of the implications
    HERO
    LOL
    what you define as a hero is someone imaginary and so attach the same aspects to such a term that offers you comfort

philosophys
    hhhmmmm
    a word you seem to use in a single definative manner
    i think it is slightly more broard and encompassing than just what you wish to believe

proven unproven
    what has survived the times of intense hand to hand combat
    2 things
    first is philisophical cunning
    second is aplication
    tv ratings martial arts is relatively new and does not include a potential intent to kill
    it also does not include idiolegy or philosophy
    it also does not include expanding the betterment of human perceptive abilities or quality of existance

it proves nothing
    ===
    Btw, whilst sociology isn't quite in the same league as the physical sciences in terms of its subject matters invariable nature, there still is an emphasis on critical thinking and objectivity....try it someday.
    ===
    if you think socioligy has nothing to do with martial arts then you have made the biggest statement to assert that you have absollutely no understanding of what martial arts realy is

you say that like a true conservative money worshipper with no imaginative ability
    sounds more like an attempt to group socioligy with communism and martial arts by relative association of subject associational reference

LOL
    philosophy is the key corner stone of all science
    and an intergral part of the true martial artist
    you would know that if you were a real martial artist
    however you are just a person who choose to train in a hand to hand media orientated heavily reduced and constrained sport
    nothing more

maybe you could try reading some philosophy before you decide to start commenting on it in specific references to things you have stated to have no actual experience in

17. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

BaaahhhhhHHHHHHHH

1500 posts under your belt and you don't even know how to, or bother to use the quote functions :bugeye:

Tidy yourself up and stop talking rubbish.

18. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

and you dont use any colours

how imaginative

was there a
    point
    in regard to what i said or you are just giving computer lessons
    which ones is the any key ?

maybe "we" are off the topic slightly?

19. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Get back to me when you're coherent and tidy.

Btw, OTOH means "on the other hand".....you don't know that either, what's up with you?

20. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

David Mayes
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ripleofdeath
    maybe "we" are off the topic slightly?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Get back to me when you're coherent and tidy.
    Btw, OTOH means "on the other hand".....you don't know that either, what's up with you?
    ==============
    now your just rattling your cage!
    by "we" i meant you!
    its a thread topic its not all about you

you have gone further off topic with your last post

21. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Ripleofdeath has said nothing.

22. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

strongly suggested reading for anyone who is unfamiliar with the meaning of the term "Martial Arts"

read some of Bruce Lees' philosophy on the construct of the essence of the term

the lost philosopher of china puts it very well

23. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

I've seen mention of the UFC. This particular tournament was introduced mainly to show the dominance of Brazilian Jui jitsu. The Gracie family were the representatives, and Royce was sent to fight and he took I think the first 3 tournaments. Since the introduction of the UFC, Mixed Martial arts has evolved dramitically forcing one dimensional fighters to incorporate various styles into their training.

So if one wants to be a true martial artist in todays age, one would need to study/practice more than one art.

Hollywood has made most people believe that Karate and Kung Fu would be sufficient. Truth is that the most dangerous fighters in the world fight for the UFC/Pride and K1 organizations. It has been proven that a core of Grappling prepares one the best. But even the most accomplished wrestlers/brazilian jui jitsu fighters need to study other arts to be well rounded.