Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Excuse me

But I think most people in this thread are talking shit.

I have 12-15 UFC tapes and have seen a couple of Pride{virtually the same thing}.

UFC is the evidence that anyone trying to decide which fighting system is most effective should use.

Most of the people invited to compete in the UFC were world champions of their respective disciplines...and overwhelmingly it was the wrestler/grappler+some boxing competence that was most effective, IOW, I don't really care how long you've been doing karate, Taw kwon do or other assorted garbage, you will be brought to submission by any competent UFC fighter.

And it's important to note, that training to inflict death blows is about as stupid as it gets, and the effective UFC sytle enabled you to render your opponent imobile without landing you in jail.

UFC, undisputed PROOF that most martial arts are for pansies.
    Btw, I've developed by own basic streetfighting sytle modelled on what I learnt from UFC.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I already know enough grappling and striking to be competent if
    ever I need to use retaliatory force. As for weapons training ? My
    choice is Kenjutsu...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

What is the practical purpose of the weapons training?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

I hope your not as stupid as you sound. Do you think Martial Arts are designed for tournaments with refs and rules?

Martial Arts were designed and utilized as a defensive and offensive system. Tourneys, yes including the article of your obsession ... the UFC, is not the true test of a system. Real life situations are. In real life there are no refs, no rules and weapons can come into play. Turn off your UFC videos and get outside more.

All I can say is your fucking clueless.

oz

8. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Ozmonster

Idiot.

This is sciforums...the sci refers to science, and it's assumed that the behaviour of the forumers in a sci-forum would be of a truthful rational kind.
    Yet we see you launching uneccesary ad hominens.....well my juvenile friend, don't ever expect any meaningful discourse from me, and I'd be surprised if any rational thinker would bother with such a proven low-life.

Oh is that a fact Idiot, LOL.
    Now be a good little boy and answer the sensible question I asked...what is the practical value of the weapons training?

You wouldn't have to do much more to convince me you're a sociopath.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: Excuse me

Is that so?
    And what real training/real world experience can you speak from?

Well, that all really depends on what your purpose and intention is.

If you were approached on the street by someone with a deadly weapon would you want to wrestle the to the ground until they say, "Uncle", or would you kill them if the opportunity presented itself?
    I don't screw around when it comes to my safety.
    If you come up to me with a weapon, I will grab the nearest object and try to at least knock you unconscious and not care if it is a fatal blow.
    If a brick is nearby, I will do my best to see that it meets your head.
    No, that isn't very helpful in a tournament, but I could give a shit less about tournaments.

Like I said, it comes down to what your purpose for the martial art is.

Tank Abbot would just kick Bruce Lee's ass, then, huh?
    Or Ken Lo's?

Do you know what the word "undisputed" means?

*giggles*

10. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, another irate pansy?

Read this thread One raven

Now, IF, and only if you edit your post until it loses it's disrespectful tone, then and only then will I answer your comments.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: Hmmm, another irate pansy?

I already did.
    And I replied.

Read this

I don't think so.

12. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Done!!

No problem, I exposed you as emotionally attached to a weaker style and unworthy of being considered a critical thinker.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

LOL.
    Don't give yourself that much credit.

Simply bewildered that someone who, in his first sentance, launched an ad hominem attack on the majority of the people on this thread, then followed it up with, "Yup. I saw it on TV." and strutted around with his feathers in the air with his pathetic claims that he invented his own street fighting style by watching TV, could actually get pissed off (and surprised) that someone replied to him aggressively.

And, of course, claimed that the UFC is "undisputed proof".

Then, somehow you looked at my reply, and came to the conclusion that it was disrespectful.

No.
    Not irate.

Just dumbfounded how such a moron could be so damned sanctimonious.

(by the way, you can click on the big word if you don't know what it means)

14. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Raven

You're distorting and exaggerating what I said{this is typical}.
    We no longer have anything to discuss as you've been proven as emotionally attached to a weaker style.

But just to reiterate, YOUR representatives had their opportunity to showcase their styles effectiveness, and they failed, as they were overcome by the UFC styles....this isn't my opinion, it's the RECORD, a record anyone can see for themselves, on TV as you've described it.

I'm sorry you've wasted many yrs of training on what turned out to be an inferior style.
    Brush up on your critical thinking skills for Godsakes.

Btw, it may not have been most people in the thread, good point, but it IS ANYONE who defies the objective evidence that the UFC tapes represent{to a critical thinker of course}.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: Raven

You are funny.
    First of all, because this particular fighter beat that particular fighter, that does not offer objective proof that any style is superior to any other style.
    Secondly, as was pointed out more than once, staged arena tournaments (with safety rules) are one thing. Fighting in reality is quite another.
    Like I said, it depends on your purposes.
    Any critical thinkier

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

would recognize that simple distinction.

16. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Of course it does...especially if one particular style showed its hand, and it did, that which I've dubbed UFC style.
    UFC style proved itself over many tournaments as the most effective....this hardly means that a competent exponent of other style is useless, it just proves that a particular stlye {UFC style} is the most effective.

UFC was as close to the real thing as you're going to get, and as it's on RECORD, people can draw conclusions from the "evidence", rather than support someones imaginary HERO worship of other inferior styles.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I am curious...
    Honestly...
    How many "real" fights have you been in since High School?

Oh wait, are you still in High School?

18. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

I'm 35 champ.
    I'm an ex student of Cameron Quinn{1986 Australian Kyoshin Kye full contact Champion...Oyama's karate}
    I knew Craig Peterson, Australian Heavy weight Boxer.
    One of my friends was trained by Petersons coach.
    I have developed a basic style modelled on my yrs of training and knowledge+ the revealing knowledge of the UFC.

My last fight was probably when I was 20-22.

Now all that aside, we're left with the truth of the matter, and that is that UFC style is the most effective style, and when considering effective, we must also consider the aftermath of any action, IOW, perhaps a certain neck strike would enable a person to defeat his opponent, but as the cost of prision time, not to mention how out of proportion most people would consider it.

So the HERO worship of inferior styles especially ones teaching these idiotic death blows is unacceptable to a critical thinker.

19. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Re: Ozmonster

Judging from your previous post I will not expect any meaningful discourse from you. Oh and it is very mature of you when confronted with "uneccesary ad hominems" not to retaliate in kind with "idiot", "juvenile", and "proven low-life".
    And based on one post I'm now a "proven" low-life. That speaks volumes of the level of proof you require for any given belief. No wonder you think UFC is "undisputed proof."

You just said "don't ever expect any meaningful discourse from me" and then you proceed to engage me in an attempt at meaningful discourse. Something is amiss.

I know. It is very evident that one doesn't have to do much to convince you of anything.

I just wanted you to read this again. Hopefully you can internalize the sentiment. (after, of course, you finish practicing your "UFC style" (by the way WTF is that?) on your living room floor in front of your latest UFC vid).

Wait. Stop right there. You just said you no longer had anything to discuss and yet launch into further discussion. You need to learn the follow through with your assertions. You call yourself a critical thinker and yet your posts speak volumes of your weak little mind.

Let me try out your version of "critical thinking". Are you ready:

I'm not going to stoop to unnecessary ad hominems but I have to say it again Mr. David Mayes: you are fucking clueless.

oz

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The point is...

When you are in a "real fight", and your attacker (not opponent, attacker) picks up a pool cue are you going to cry foul?
    Are you going to think critically and try to wrestle him, but not permanantly injure him (to avoid legal repurcussions)?
    Are you going to hope your friends will break it up?

I will use whatever is at my disposal to take him down before he takes me down.
    In a competition, you have to be worried about winning within the rules.
    In a fight, you have to worry about saving your ass.
    I don't worry that I might put the guy in the hospital, I will do my best to do so.

What style is best all depends on the situation.
    UFC style fighting is best for a UFC style tournament.

Just like a bar fighter would get his ass kicked in a martial arts tournament, a Tae Kwon Do fighter would get his ass kicked in a bar fight.

In my humble opinion (as I stated earlier), the dicipline that is most effective over-all for most real-life scenarios is JKD, and it is that much more effective if you are experienced with grappling techniques.

21. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

BFD

Again BFD

Quit saying "UFC style" it makes you sound even more ignorant than you are. UFC style is not a martial art.

Prison time? Now your a lawyer. Have you ever heard of self-defense of yourself or others? And waht do you do if attacked by multiple attackers and you have your wife and kids with you. The blows you initiate better be death blows and you better know how execute them fast. The purpose of death blows is to insure your not at the receiving end of one.

So who is this critical thinker you keep talking about and when is he going to come and speak for himself?

oz

22. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

OZ

I'm convinced you're an idiot.

My worst crime was to accuse some people of not being objective, but YOU waded right in with ghetto talk directly targetting me, that's not the sign of a rational/civil mind.

Delete your profanity, apologize, read my thread on critical thinking and we have a chance, otherwise you and Raven can congratulate each other on your foul mouthed commentry and delude yourselves into believing you've ever made a point that could withstand rational scrutiny.

EDIT: UFC style is what I consider as the most effective style that dominated UFC tournaments, it is "usually" grappling/wrestling+ some boxing.

23. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Re: OZ

I'm convinced you are a kook.

Not a chance.

I'm tired of dealing with your ignorance. Go fuck yourself. (hopefully that will shut you up once and for all you fucking dumbshit).

oz