Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Bridge Registered Senior Member

Many styles of fighting empasize striking your opponent repeatedly or at least attempting to strike a crippling blow or a total knockout. Gracie's Brazilian style of Ju-Jitsu allowed for that too. He had (has) the ability to kick or punch. His usual approach was to avoid the boxing and kicking, using his superior mobility over larger and stronger opponents to his advantage and going for the neck or an arm or a leg. Although he did use his arms, usually a scissor hold with his legs brought a swift choke out. If not a choke out he'd nearly break his opponents arm or leg....something I think that did happen in one of the UFCs back in 1991.

But you're right to a degree, it's all relative, you measure your best options against your opponent's best options and go for it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. king_cobra Registered Member

Martial Arts

It must be pretty tough to attain any high level of competence in any martial art.
    I always thought that a combination of one grappling and one punching/kicking martial art would be the most effective. There is the old addage of a good wrestler beating a good puncher (a conflict of fighting ranges), but in a nightclub situation, if you take one person to the floor, doubtless you will recieve a bloody good kicking from his still standing mates.
    The Israelis developed Crav Maga (think that's how its spelt), and the Russians sambo/sombo, for their armed and paramilitary forces.
    Geoff Thompson, Dave Turton, and various other renowned martial artists in the UK promote highly regarded martial/self defense disciplines.
    According to NHB and UFC, muay thai, Brazilian JJ, and Shootfighters appear to have the greatest success.

But the advice given by most successful martial artists (competatively and 'on the street') dictates cross-training. :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

There really isnt much to ground fighting .not much skill and techniques is needed. Rather what is needed is strength, agility, muscle tone, wieght, the upper position on the oppnent. While this might win any arnold whatsanigger is a champ at it and that makes it no fun. Martial arts takes skill.

You cant argue with this because take your grappling champs and make them really really skinny and see if they still win. There are good skinny martial artists but no good skinny grapplers and wrestlers.

sorta limiting dont you think

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

helo all

just get 'a little interested in this thread'. Anyway, here's my question:
    Is there any particular martial art which focus mainly on weapon-utilizing?

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

there are many. any particular weapon?

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

many?
    okay, I may or may not say particular weapons only, but maybe this is enopugh...
    What is the martial art which focus on:

a) stabbing?
    b) slashing?
    c) pole, stick or such using?
    d) lance wielding, or such?

Also, has there been a martial artist in history who used scythe?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  10. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

curioucity

the majority of martial arts weapons are everyday items
    that have been used over hundreds of years

most... if not all martial arts, deal with weapons of varying sorts
    types sizes and so-forth

imagine you are looking at an orchestra and you are asking about
    all the instruments at once

if you refine your question you may recieve a lucky response

groove on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. FatalTalon Registered Senior Member

I've been living in Japan for the last year where I continued my karate studies... they have also been teaching me how to use kama, or scythes. Seeing as my Japanese is only ok for basic conversation and not detailed explanations I'm not really sure I can explain the history of it in the art. I do know that most of the weapons I've been learning how to use were once farming implements. (nunchuku, kama, sai, staff, ball and chain... etc) I'm sure other styles besides karate have implemented the use of scythes however.... most of the scythe techniques involve slashing, or jabbing with the blade then slashing. Catching the opponent's weapon is also used.

The kama appear as two shafts of wood.. perhaps a foot and a half long, with an eight inch curved blade coming outside ways from one end. You generally use two. One in each hand.

~Fatal

12. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

the modern police long batton is derived from the japanese
    peasants weapon i believe
    i think it was the grinding handle

FatalTalon
    see if you can have a go of the horseback archery
    that looks like great fun

should help your roundhouse kicks as an
    expensive training excuse

nothing worse than a groin strain mid grading or competition

groove on

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

in a number of oriental cultures, there is a social structure which resembles a caste system- where there is an upper and lower class, defined by birth. The upper class was allowed to do more than the lower class, things such as carry a sword, ride a war horse, etc. The martial arts of the upper class (Akido, for example), deal alot with these things. Mounted fighting, sword usage, etc.
    The peasent class, not allowed to weild a sword, had to come up with way to defend themselves against unfair upper-class tyrants who had swords. so you end up with farming impliments such as staffs, kamas, etc, being a major focus of the styles. Most notably, the Japanese police force was not allowed (as they were not part of the upper class) to carry swords. they devised a one-pronged defensive weapon which could damage and even destroy a sword blade.

so when dealing with weapons, the history of the style may have a huge impact on what weapons they will teach.

Note1: keep in mind that you do not learn weapon techniques on day one. you much first learn how your body works by itself before you start adding the weight/length of any additional devices.

Note2:I thought this was funny (read the lists)
    http://users.iafrica.com/a/as/ashihara/webdoc69.htm

14. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

river-wind
    good point about the Note1

groove on

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

hah? So weapon wielding martial arts have lived so long then? You mean like, maybe sword slashing art possibly came from butchery?
    It starts getting interesting, hah hah.....

16. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, have some of you seen those sword wielding techniques performed in Chinese 'kungfu' TV series or such?
    judging from the form of the swords, are they actualy used for stabbing or slashing? (if you're not too familiar, the swords used are mostly long, sharp on both edges but lacking of pointy tip)

17. LordAza Quantum Freak! Registered Senior Member

i've heard of Dim Mak but i thought it is only a myth.
    Supposedly the only martial art that teaches a tecnque that can kill a person in a week. And there is no way to stop it. supposed to be the pressure point art. Focusing on crippling by using jab at pressure points.

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

not sure of the swords you are talking about, but I would assume that they are using chinese straight swornds. they should have a pointy tip, though. made of spring steal, and very flexable, I have two of them, and they are alot of fun

yep, you are right on. Certainly not a myth, though very secretive. While I'm not advanced enough in it to say if it really allows you to kill a person with a few applied strikes, I can say that you can knock a person out easily, and you can cause or stop pain in different parts of the body. One I used to use on my little brother as a kid :knuckle jab to the muscle running along the side of the spine, right at the level of the bottom of the shoulder blades. He'd hit me, and then run away. as he turned to run, I'd hit him there, his body would tense up, and then go limp. he'd sort of flop to the ground, then get up, and say "ow". then walk away

I wasn't always a nice older brother.
    and there are ways to stop or reverse the effects of Dim Mak strikes. most of them are present in Ti Chi sequences.

19. orange Registered Senior Member

I'm in no way an expert of martial arts, but here are my 2 cents anyways..

A martial art can either be practice in self-defence, or a fight with certain rules. The later one is a matter of personal preference (in UFC it's most certainly a combination of martial arts). When it comes to self-defence, i believe the martial art sports such as tae kwon do, karate and judo, are quite useless in a real fight.

Most likely scenario: You're a little drunk, you're in a crowded area, you have no idea of how many opponents you have, who they are and where they are, if your opponents have concealed weapons, you're wearing tight clothes so you won't be able to use kicks to the head, you're not warmed up and stretched, and most important of all - you're pulse is sky-high. In this situation you won't think rationally. It's either try to back away, or the first punch wins. I think the key to being a successfull fighter is experience. That way you learn to calm down and use strategic moves instead of shooting blows in panic.

I'm not sure which martial art that would prepare you for real battle. I'd say boxing though. Maybe wrestling if you're down on the ground, but a fight won't last long there, as people most certainly will interfere.

Ps. Or just bulking up like Bob "The Beast" Sapp in UFC.

Ds.

20. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Sapp never fought in the UFC. He fights for K-1 and had fought in Pride.

21. orange Registered Senior Member

Sorry about that, of course it was Pride. Got 'em mixed up.. That match versus Nogueira was something huh?

For those who didn't know of Sapp, he's 350 lbs (159 kg) and 6'3 (190.5 cm).

22. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

oh shit, nice to know there are some fans of MMA around here.

Yeah I saw clips of that fight, especially liked the beginning where he slams Nog on his head.

Pride light heavyweight grand prix on sunday (august 10th) is a cant miss. Please tell me you are watching that, its like the damn superbowl.

23. dr_spine_jr Registered Member

There are a great number of fighting systems that exist. The question of "which one is the best?" can't be answered so easily. The best answer depends on where you are fighting, who you are fighting and how many people you are fighting.

Grappling systems such as ju jitsu, judo, sambo wrestling, american wrestling; are quite good at one on one combat without outside interference. You also tend to need a little bit more room to move around to practice it efficiently. Once there is outside interference. . . say one of your opponents friends wants to hit you over the head with a chair. Or perhaps your opponent has a knife. The grappling method of fighting breaks down.

Kicking systems such as Tae kwon do and Savate; are fair systems of fighting . . . if you have the room to maneuver. They will tend to work will with multiple opponents and if you have a decent amount of ground to work with. Weakness include a lack of strong defensive skills. And an inability to compensate once an opponent has closed the gap and begun to grapple.

Boxing systems such as western boxing, escrima, Shaolin, Wing Chun. Have strong defensive skills. Depending on the practitioner and the level of "hard core" training the offensive capacities are huge. These systems tend to be fairly old in terms of historical context. They were developed for battle field combat. Which means they were adapted not only for one on one combat, but also for multiple attackers. Some of these fighting systems have a subset of techniques for ground fighting, or grappling, some do not. Obviously when you are on a battlefield with soldiers carrying spears and swords, the last place you want to be is on your back wrestling with someone.

In terms of the UFC and MMA, I have to say that these people a great athletes. And a professional athlete will kick the crap out of the average joe. It doesn't matter whether he is a professional boxer or a professional baseball player, the average joe doesn't have the training and conditioning necessary to take on a trained athlete. But they are in the end athletes. They fight within the confines of rules and regulations. Eye gouging, fish hooking, kicking people in the junk and, clawing techniques that rake the flesh, are not permitted. These are perhaps some of the best techniques for smaller people to use on the larger man.

Jeet Kune Do a brilliant concept created by a brilliant man and a master fighter. The core concept is this. "Learn as much as you can, use what works for you, leave the rest behind."

It is a bold and honest statement.

Which one is the best? It all depends on what you want to do with it. My preference is Wing Chun. For my body size and conditioning and what I would really use it for. It works the best for me. It is adapable, and capable of stopping other systems of fighting. Works relatively well against grappling systems, and extremely well against kicking systems.

Where do I fight? In very close quarters. How many people can I fight at once? 3. I haven't tried to do more than that. What kind of people do I fight against? I am 5'8" and weigh 154 lbs. The largest person I have fought was a Marine boxer 6'4" 249 lbs. the smallest was a person the same size as me. How have I personally fared against a grappler? Fine. I ended up on the ground and had to work really hard but, I did just fine.

If anyone wants to debate me. I'll be waiting.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2003