Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

"One on one fighting, a skilled grappler will take you down to the ground and totally dominate. You can try to land a big kick, but once you lift that leg, prepare to hit pavement. "

I don't agree. If you get a perfect low-kick, you will get it and you want be able to grapple it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

only thing you can do is lift up your leg and block it like that (and break it if you lack training

)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Ive seen it go either way, sometimes the kick gets through, sometimes it is less sucessfull. After watching numerous MMA fights, I've seen some of the best stand up fighters - Mirko Cro-cop, Gilbert Yvel, Ernesto Hoost, Chuck Liddell....not be able to keep it standing. If they are efficient at sprawling then they do have a decent chance.

See, its really hard to keep a beast like Kevin Randleman from doing what he does best.......take you down, and that means hard!

This is from Ohio State University wrestling (one of the top wrestling programs in the nation)

All-time school record for career wins
    Name Years W- L-T Pct.
    3. Kevin Randleman 1991-93 108- 7-3 .928

Hes a good fighter, but not even close to the best

Check out his pic-

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

A chinese boxer is complete because it also includes grappling and wrestling. A complete fighter should win. If we want to compare martial arts, then we have to let fight the very best against each other.

"See, its really hard to keep a beast like Kevin Randleman from doing what he does best.......take you down, and that means hard! "

that's why you need to put another beast in front of him

by preference one who can do it all like a chinese boxer or maybe a French boxer

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

C'est moi-

Good call, i like that one!

This is true, If one were to only rely on grappling, without any striking/submission skills whatsoever then they are not prepared to do serious harm. A fighter that is accomplished in more than one martial art will definetely be better prepared for the competition

We do agree, sorry for the confusion: Soley relying on only one style will not be a good gameplan.

Excellent combination of disciplines, good call.

8. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Krav Maga.

I don't think it's the best because I practice it.

I practice it because I think it's the best.

9. LucidDreamer Registered Senior Member

There are only so many ways that you can punch, kick or throw someone. Theoretically the best martial art would be one that combines all of these techniques. With that in mind, Hapkido would have to be a strong candidate. It combines a myriad of high and low kicks, hand, elbow and knee strikes along with grappling, throwing and wrestling techniques. However, the style takes a long time to learn so it is not well suited for the kid at school who is having problems with bullies.

Another style that combines striking and grappling techniques but is simpler and can be mastered a lot quicker is Pancratium – a style practiced in ancient Greece - and is making a come back with the mixed martial arts crowd.

JKD is no doubt a good style to study if you need to learn how to defend yourself quickly. However, it doesn’t emphasize grappling or wrestling. If Bruce Lee ever met Randy Couture in the octagon, Couture would strangle him into submission in the first round. It wouldn’t even be a close fight. BTW Bruce Lee was not the martial arts master that many believe. He studied Wing Chun for few years and dabbled in western boxing before inventing JKD. His effectiveness as a fighter was largely due to his exceptional physical condition and reflexes.

The one thing that the UFC proved is that size matters in a fight. That’s why in the early UFC matches, where there were no weight categories, big brawlers like Tank Abbot dominated. Once weight categories were introduced, skill and experience took over.

10. Blaah! Guest

Wing chun is a very effective self-defense system as previously stated, especially against larger opponents. Oz, you say in the real world there are guns, knives, multiple opponents and other variables, an extremely valid point which seems to have been missed by some... However, in the real real world, death blows can sometimes equal prison sentence. Fine if you can prove self-defence and/or have the firm control over your emotions required so as not to use certain techniques in the heat of the moment. Probably not a good idea for a beginner to learn death blows without first recieving the full spiritual training to accompany the techniques!
    Just my 2 cents..

11. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the post.

oz

12. Blaah! Guest

Glad you agree. Some people seem to think that having a bad additude equals being tough

My last flatmate used to train with Paul Slowinski (world heavyweight Muay thai champ) Both tough as all fuck but both top blokes. Aggresion doesn't equal strength. Control equals strength.

13. Commandore Zippy Kender Legionnaire Registered Senior Member

Personally, I like using the quarterstaff for self defense. Otherwise, I'd go with akido. It fun using the opponent's own attack against him!

14. river-wind Valued Senior Member

/me bows in respect to this statement.

15. river-wind Valued Senior Member

16. nuzod Registered Member

I'd say military Muay Thai and various Filipino martial arts styles.

17. otheadp Banned Banned

the best single martial art is probably BJJ (brazilian jiu jitsu)
    but to be an effective fighter one must train several martial arts.

for stand up, Thai Boxing (Muai Thai [spell?]) or kickboxing.
    for getting ppl to the ground, either Judo or Wrestling. Myself, I prefer Judo cause i've practiced it for a long time.
    But on the ground, you gotta know BJJ.

btw, to all the Aikido ppl, sorry to say this but [imho] IT SUCKS!!!

at all the demonstrations of techniques, there's like a grandmaster that weighs no less than 2 tonnes, wearing a fancy black skirt or whatever it's called in Japanese, standing calmly being "one with the wind" and his partner is a skinny guy that looks like Ren (from ren and stimpy), has twitches all over his body and looks like he was injected with coffee or speed or something... energizer bunny on crack.
    the skinny dude spearheads the grandmaster like a bull and the master makes a little twitch with his finger and the skinny dude hits the ground like a sack of potatos.

come on.. how realistic is this???

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

How 'realistic' is any martial arts demonstration? I've studied several martial arts, including aikido, and I believe that aikido is very effective if studied seriously. I don’t know of any other martial art that has such an emphasis on self defense against weapons. You get a wide array of self defense techniques against knives, blunt weapons, guns…even some odd-ball weapons like swords and spears that are included for historical reasons. While most martial arts include some defense against weapons, aikido has much more of it than any other martial art that I'm aware of.

As for its effectiveness, although I have never actually used it in a fight, several of my fellow aikido students are police officers and they regularly come in with stories about how effective aikido was for them in a work-related situation. It's also the martial art of choice for the Japanese police force.

That being said, you should keep in mind that it takes a long time to develop aikido skills to the point where they would be useful for self defense. Give the average person six months of hapkido or Brazilian jujitsu training and they'll probably be a much better fighter, while in aikido they would still be learning the basics.

It's also important to remember that there are some really crappy aikido schools out there. Some of the aikido styles have degenerated to the point where they have very little 'realism' left in them. I suppose that's true for many martial arts, but its especially true in aikido. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about it, other then staying away from the bad schools.

19. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

With respect, you are obviously not aware of JKD when it comes to defense of weapons.

The problem with Aikido is that movements are drawn out and time is wasted. Just because it works for your PO friends, doesn't mean its the best. Any matial arts will give you an advantage against those who have not been trained to fight. Here, we are discussing which martial arts is the best when two masters (of each discipline) are pitted against each other.

Aikido masters would be eaten up by many martial arts (including JKD, Brazilian jui-jitzu, escrima, jung fung boxing, etc.) Although Steven Seagal looks like he can kick some ass with the art in the movies, its failure to subcribe to the idea of efficiency of motion excludes it from the list of deadly/effective martial arts.

oz

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I think your ignorance of aikido is showing here. Aikido is all about efficiency of motion. The entire point of aikido is to deliver as much power as possible to the week points of an attacker while simultaneously avoiding his attacks, all with as little motion as possible. If it looks inefficient to you it's probably because you either don't understand what you're seeing or you're watching a demonstration of one of the new 'fluffy' styles of aikido (which unfortunately often are inefficient).

It's also important to remember that in demonstrations and practice many of the joint locks and throws of aikido are intentionally slowed down or exaggerated to avoid injury to the uke.

In my opinion the only weakness of aikido is that it doesn't include ground fighting techniques. Of course, that's a pretty big weakness…

21. ZuLu Registered Member

To Ozmonster,
    You seem to talk about JKD alot, obviously you practise it, but i didnt see if you had said if you were actually a master or an advanced student or what level you are at it?

Do you know if JKD is taught at all in Australia? It seems very interesting style and from what you have said you haev got me interested
    I will search the net for some sites soon.

Also to all those that practise martial arts at a high level what age did you start practising?

Oh Also how do you rate those Shaolin Monks?
    I saw a stage show by them, i relise thats as real as TV Wrestling, but that was damn amazing what they could do and how fast they could move

22. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I give the Shoalin monks in that stage show (I bet it;s the same one I saw on Public Television about a year ago) a 10+ for showmanship, and a 9.98 for kick-ass ability. While they can do some amazing things, they make it look harder than it is for the sake of the show. Not that I can do that stuff (well, I can do *some*, but not much). Very cool stuff. internal control of chi flow is a very powerful tool. I don't know how much their style has become a show and lost the fighting aspect, I would have to spend some time training with them to make that determination. If it's similar to Wushu, then the fighting aspects of it are around a 4.5 better then nothing, and not much else. (IMO)

I've been doing random styles for all but about the first 6 years of life. My Dad took me to a Judo class when I was in kindergarden because I kept getting beaten up at school.

Anyone know anything about the martial aplications of Chen style Taiji? I was talking with some people about it, and am really interested in practical external applications. Any help would be greatly apretiated.

23. ZuLu Registered Member

Just wondering, How powerful is it? In the show i saw the monks hit each other with sledghammers, lay on nail beds and do all sorts of tricks that look incredibly painful, So how much of this is show trickery and like magicians doing show tricks and how much of it is actually real?
    Also the finger handstands look heaps good