Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. joemama Guest

being in shape and street fighter werstler always wins

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DigitalToothpaste Registered Member

Best Martial Art

In my experience when someone has practiced a discipline seriously for many years, they're going to be very effective regardless of any inherent weaknesses in that system. Only when they come up against someone who has trained equally (or nearly) as hard in another discipline will the weaknesses of their system be highlighted. Having said that, there are some glaring problems in a number of martial arts that present all sorts of unpleasant scenarios in no holds barred streetfighting. Even an experienced martial artist can find himself on the way to the hospital for something apparently trivial.

I bumbled around with Martial arts for ages (Tae Kwon, Karate, Aikido) until I found Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun. After only a few weeks of reading up and practicing some of the principles, I was giving Tae Kwon Do blackbelts a hard time.

On balance, Jeet Kune Do is the most effective form of self-defense I have seen. It was formed from many of the basic principles of Wing Chun, which is also very simple and effective (it was developed by a nun, who being female was obviously smaller and weaker than your average man, yet with her system she could kick dey backsides good) It also incorporates the things that work in western boxing, and Muay Thai. Jeet Kune Do has now degenerated into a strange tangle of wrestling, joint locking and floor fighting that resembles a groupsex orgy more than an effective fighting system, but if you go back to what Bruce Lee was talking about, it was simple and logical. It places emphasis on learning a few simple ideas and practicing until your arms and legs drop off and you're doing them completely reflexively.

In terms of tough, I think any martial art is as tough as you want it to be. That part is up to you. The most impressive to watch are obviously Monkey, Drunken and Caoperia...staged fights utilising these styles by master practitioners will look more amazing than anything else you've ever seen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Deadliest martial arts:

Filipino Stick Fighting called Escrima

Most effective martial arts:

JKD - Jeet Kun Do (34 different martial arts rolled into one system and incorperates Escrima)

No question,

oz

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chiasma Registered Member

I don't know. I have come to think that there is no such thing as an overall best martial arts. I think that there is a best martial art for a person. People have different mentalities and, more important, different body types. So one should fine which martial arts work best for them.

8. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Best Martial Art?

This is total bullshit. Seems like something I'd hear from a Tae Kwon Do (the most worthless martial arts) black belt.

I'll say it again:

deadliest: Escrima
    most effective: JKD

All other answers to this query are unenlightened. JKD is so effective because it incorperates so many systems. A master of JKD can destroy masters of any other art because they can fight in the discipline of thier opponent and then change up to another system (to which their opponent is not trained.)

Only one who can beat a JKD master is another JKD master.

oz

9. Chiasma Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Best Martial Art?

What an enlightened statment. What I said was just an opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its bullshit. This is a question in which no answer is an absolute.

Look at yourself before telling anybody else that they are unlightened.

also, American tea kwon do can be worthless. There are some schools around that still practice the traditional tea kwon do, and it can be a very effective martial arts. These schools are very hard to fine.
    The problem is that most tea kwon do schools have become a money grubbing institution that they will promote anybody as long as they have enough money.

So, I agree that most tea kwon do black belts are pretty much worthless compaired to some other schools. But Not all tea kwon do black belts. Who you learn you art from is really important.

10. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

A accomplished wrestler with some submission/striking skills to compliment will demolish.

Grappling IMO will prepare one the best for a potential fisticuff.

I think you all would be interested in UFC/Pride/K-1.
    They take fighters from different martial arts and pit them against each other. From watching events, gathering information and hearing other's opinions I have found the most sucessfull disciplines are wrestling and brazilian jui-jitsu.

The fight WILL go to the ground if a grappler will want it to, there is virtually no way to prevent this, the best way to adapt to the inevitable situation, is to learn grappling so you can at least semi-defend yourself.

"The Ground is my Ocean, and you dont even know how to swim"

11. Chiasma Registered Member

Hey, wasn't the Garcias, brazilian jui-jitsu artist. And didn't they win the first 5 UFC championships? I'm not sure who it was, but grapling arts are really boring to watch, but are mighty effective.

p.s. I like the quote

12. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Chiasma-

Close....Royce Gracie. He does belong to the Gracie family, which are the premier brazilian jui-jitsu fighters. He won UFC 1,2 and 4 and fought a superfight against Ken Shamrock in UFC 5, which resulted in a draw.

Very true. It was amazing watching Royce fighting HUGE guys and dominating, but it does lack the action I like.

13. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

UFC is not a real streetfight. Although it may be the legally closest thing to it, there are many rules. On the street there are no rules. The biggest difference is that death blows are not allowed (for obvious reasons). Every "move" in JKD is designed to flow into a death blow. This is designed to happen almost intantly in order to defend against multiple attackers. If UFC were a real streetfight, JKD masters would dominate. Royce Gracie would be dead before he could wrap his limbs around anything. (I'm sure you have noticed that although none of the UFC fighters have been JKD masters, more and more are JKD trained.)

Wrestling and grappling are only beneficial in a few situations. A JKD master would not allow the fight to center around those situations. And because brazillian jui-jitsu is one of the systems incorperated into JKD, how to defend against it would also be known.

The bottom line is thisd: Grappling and wrestling also are not effective against a gun or knife wielding attacker. Nor are they effective against multiple attackers. For those reasons alone, wrestling and/or grappling can not be the most effective system.
    Plain and simple.

Chiasma: didn't mean to offend you but I am rather passionate about this topic and don't thing its of the type where everyone's opinion is equal. Its not a matter of what system works best for you, its a matter of what system keeps you alive. There is a very real answer to that question that is absolutely not relative.

oz

14. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

This is true. I was thinking on the lines of one on one.

What exactly is JKD? Wrestlers WILL bring you down to the ground, its only a matter of time. If a JKD fighter is an accomplished grappler I could see them competing. But In all honesty I cant see him lasting very long with a Mark Kerr, Frank Shamrock, Walderlei Silva, Tito Ortiz, Quinton Jackson or any accomplished ground fighter. Ground and pound has left many a bloodied victim.

Im really sorry, I dont know anything about JKD, maybe it is a good martial art, but Pride/UFC have the BEST fighters in the world and they all have to know how to tango on the ground or else its gonna be a real short night.

Dont get mad with your response, maybe the best fighters in the world have been flukes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

please enlighten me about JKD.

15. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I have practiced TKD, and I can say it certainly keeps you fit and strong. However, it's not really the best for self defence.

I have not heard of 'American Kempo', (and tbh am dubious of it because of the name). However, I have heard of Shorinji kempo (its apprent original form) which a friend of mine has devoted himself to (spent thousands flying off to Japan etc).

After watching UFC, it seems the grapplers always win. Which is a shame seeing as it is far less aestheticly pleasing.

16. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

I believe the victor is more often the more skilled.

17. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Yes, this is what I have been saying, but it falls on deaf ears or some are too stubborn to see the connection.

Very true

I personally starting wrestling in kindergarden, and trust me you need skill to compete at the top levels. The wrestlers in UFC are actually very accomplished wrestlers, many were top prospects in NCAA collegiate wrestling and even olympic competitors fight in the UFC. I have been following the UFC and other MMA organizations since their introduction, so I know a good deal about the fighters and their respective styles.

18. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Talk about stubborn. It doesn't mean anything to win the UFC. Those fighters are tough but the fights are not real. Can you get that through your thick head? UFC and its progeny are structured tournement events. There are rules about certain moves and you certainly cannot use death blows.

The true measure of any system is not how successful it is in winning tourneys. The measure is how quickly and successfully it allows you to debilitate your opponent, defend against and use all weapons from sticks to swords, and defend against multiple attackers. The true measure is can the system keep you alive.

I'll say this again. Wrestling and grappling are worthless against a stick, a knife, a sword, a gun, and it is worthless against multiple attackers. Therefore, these systems are not the most effective and deadly systems.

Defskepic: get off Shamrock's dick and open your fucking eyes.

oz

ps I was a four year varsity letterman in wrestling when I was in HS so I know the system. Also have been trained in grappling. Believe me, these systems are good to have in your arsenal but they are only components to the most effective system and not the end result.

19. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

JKD is a sytem that began in the 1960s by Buce Lee. He spent his whole life training in different disciplines and devised JKD to be superior to all of them. And he was successful.

JKD is roughly 34 martial arts rolled into one system. The deadliness of this system is that you can fight and defend against all systems. The moment you switch up the fight to a system unknown to your attacker, you take the advantage and can crush your opponent.

This is from a JKD website:

Jeet Kune Do Street Fighting Philosophy:
    Jeet Kune Do's fighting system was the first "FREE-FORM" martial art to ever be brought to martial arts. JKD is the martial art created by Bruce Lee. It is a simplistic systm that allow the fighter to to be creative in his own expressiont of JKD.

The expression of JKD is like DNA, similar to all humans but not exactly the same from person to person. The are as many expressions of Jeet Kune Do as there are practicioners. They all abide by the basic structure and guide lines set by Bruce Lee, but each adds his one individual twist to his form of Jeet Kune Do.

You cannot put JKD in to a catagory like Tae Kwan Do for instance, you can say that they are feet fighters, but what is the Jeet Kune Do street fighter what is he, HE IS THE UNKNOWN.

oz

20. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Ozmonster-

Not real? Would you rather they fight in some abandoned warehouse? Cannot use death blows????? Holy shit man, you are ragging on UFC cause they dont kill each other. I bet practiconers of JKD can kill each other with their pinkies, correct?

If you want to defend against multiple attackers I suggest using a gun. One on one fighting, a skilled grappler will take you down to the ground and totally dominate. You can try to land a big kick, but once you lift that leg, prepare to hit pavement.

Ok, if you really think you can dodge bullets, take a try. Bringing weapons in, changes the rules entirely.

To tell you the truth I do not like shamrock all that much, but thing is I can respect the fact that he is one of the best fighters in the world.

21. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a real good martial art system. Take it easy man, no need to get rowdy, its just that in my experience a grappler who is experienced has a huge edge over the competition. Maybe the UFC doesnt allow JKD fighters cause they (UFC) are afraid, who knows??? right? Hell, I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of a death blow.

22. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Actually I'm not ragging on UFC. I enjoy watching people kicking the shit out of each other as much as the next man. It is good wholesome American entertainment.

But let's be honest about one thing, it is not he same as a streetfight. In a streetfight, you can't control whether your opponent has a gun, knife or other weapon. In a streetfight, you cannot control whether he has five of his buddies around the corner waiting to pounce.

The true measure of a system is how it works in the real world, on the street, where their are no rules. Where their are no referees. And where you can't tap the floor to end the fight. The true measure is can the system protect you and your family from unknown and unquantifiable harm.

So as much as I like watching UFC, you are kidding yourself if you think those fighters are the best just because they do well in the UFC.

JKD is not a sytem that is designed to exchange punches/kicks and moves with your opponent. Every move flows into a death blow. For example, a defense for a simple jab is designed to block the jab through a counter-attack. Once the attack has begun, it flows into a death move whereby the attacking arm is broken and the spine is severed.

No but we don't trade blows. We are trained to debilitate immediately. We are trained to fight with any weapon and to defend against those weapons when we are unarmed. We also train against multiple attackers.

I suggest mastering JKD.

Obviously JKD doesn't train to dodge bullets like the matrix but it does train against a gun in close proximity. Bringing weapons in changes the rules but a JKD master will adapt to those rule changes.

Not true. More and more UFC fighters are JKD trained. Next time look for it when they go through the fighters bio. There haven't been any JKD masters to date but that may come. My point is that even if JKD masters dominated UFC, they would still be handicapped because they would have to hold back on every move so as not to kill anyone.

As I have said, JKD incorperates grappling into its system. Thus a JKD master will be able to compete against a grappling master. What will the grappling master do when the fight is switched up to jung-fung boxing or escrima?

oz

23. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

I think, if you're talking more in the realms of street fighting, that Chinese boxing is pretty good and effective.
    hard training also!
    I just quit cause it did more bad than good for my body