best gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lucifers angel, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

What is the best gaming laptop, my son wants one for gaming and for college for in september, he has seen a few and all have been either to slow, or not enough memory,

so what is the best laptop for gaming?

he has a budget of about £900, any suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

talk to me Lucifer,

talk to me...

tell me what he thinks of those numbers

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Laptops and gaming don't mix really. You can get an OK gaming laptop, but it will be crucified by a desktop of the same cost. Just look at a top end video card, ... and then try and think where that's going to fit in a laptop;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So it's compromise time. For college, what does he need to do? Word processing, a bit of web browsing, email? You can get a basic laptop to do that for £300, leaving £600 for a fairly hot desktop for games. Plus he'll be able to backup his work from laptop to his desktop, should it fail, or get lost or stolen.

I guess firstly, we need to know what course he's going to study, and what games he wants to play, and we can work with that.

Oh, and ignore Dragon.

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

he is doing graphic and game design in college, he also has to do a lot of english catch up work, he wants to be able to play world of warcraft, and some other games, he also needs it for internet access

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

he's not here for me to show him yet

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Don't buy a laptop for gaming!! That isn't going to be very good or fun because it just won't do what a PC can ever do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

First things first, the college will provide the machines and software to use, internet access, email, yadda yadda, so dragging a laptop to college is rather a waste of effort.

If he wants to work at his accomodation, rather than in 24x7 resource rooms (and who wouldn't) he's going to need a hot desktop, 'cos 3D rendering, running virtual machines, and game design software are going to need a lot of grunt.

Also, a desktop with a decent sized screen will provide all the entertainment he needs, games, playing music, DVD's, and you can get DVB TV tuners for £30 that turn your PC into a TiVO.

If internet access/email of the move is a requirement, look at some smartphones, they're small, multipurpose (play music and watch films, web browsing, email, yadda yadda), and cheaper than a laptop.

12. draqon Banned Banned

Lucifer when your son comes, show him the info of the laptop.

Laptops are amazing in the aspect that you can carry gaming to anywhere and play anywhere with friends. Laptops are good way to making friends ( I made one friend in my life by gaming =)

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

14. draqon Banned Banned

Enmos, your is more expensive then mine and yours is in Netherlands...not UK

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Or, you can talk to the people you meet at University, and chat up girls at the Student Union Bar, and join societies, and generally actually interact with people, as people.

Laptops being small, are easily stolen, and too often dropped and broken. Oh, and Dragon, one of the things the Internet is great for, is playing games online,... no need to drag your laptop around to someone's house on the bus and get mugged.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Price is in € not £, and Dell sell to the UK too. Oh, and your offering broke the £900 budget.

Wake up.

17. draqon Banned Banned

yeah well...I am in a campus and gaming on campus is not legal on their computers. There is wifi everywhere here. Computers are stolen everyday in dorms. Laptops are heavy thou to carry always around...

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's in euro's, like phlogistician said.
    And Dell is international, I actually believe their headoffice is in Ireland.

19. draqon Banned Banned

yeah ok, I jus noticed that. No need to be rude.

My laptop pick was a nice start thou. Now that Enmos found a better pick, someone find a better pick than Enmos'es.

20. draqon Banned Banned

Umm Enmos, could you post the stats of your laptop? Please.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You can find them when you follow the link.

22. draqon Banned Banned

I know...but I am asking you to post them, for me. please.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8300 (2,40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2-cache)

15,4-inch Widescreen™ WXGA (1.280 x 800) TFT-scherm (220 nit) met TrueLife™

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT met 256 MB toegewezen grafisch geheugen

4.096 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 2.048]

320 GB (5.400 rpm) SATA harde schijf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.