Best games in the world

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Dudish dude, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Never played Freespace, but if it's close to MS Freelancer I'll definitely look for a budget edition. But X2 comes closest to that Elite feeling. (Man I loved playing Elite). Hard to get into, though. Maybe because I'm used to Freelancer's physics and multiplay now.

"DUNE... land... of sand... the noble Atreides, the evil Harkonnen, the insidious Ordos..."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. I read the books at school, and couldn't believe my ears when the game came out. I thought nobody else knew about it (I lived in my own fantasy world). But all the Westwood games were brilliant. Did anybody else play Lands of Lore, and Kyrandia 1 and 2 (never could find number 3)? I finished them using encyclopedias, since I had no manual to identify the birthstones. Same with Conquest of Camelot (that Sierra game from the stalls of King's Quest, Space Quest and Hero's Quest - finished all of them as well, by the way).

Stunts, yeah. Me and my brother also used to make obstacle courses for each other, then hold competitions. But the graphics were crappy. I heard they were working on a new one?

And the Microprose flight sims. Nothing ever again came close to sitting in the cockpit of F117, going over your mission plans, hearing those engines scream into action, and wondering if you'll ever see the base again... Games felt so much BIGGER then, didn't they? It seems everything since then has been a race to recapture those first impressions.

But Doom. The first ever multiplayer sensation. "Hey guys! I got a serial cable! Let's see if this actually works!" then, hours of tuning, loading TSRs and configuring COM ports later... "Hey! Is that you!? It's YOU!! Quick! Jump up and down!" LOL.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I usually play standard unit size or slightly above it. As long as it doesn't take 2 turns to make a unit. I don't like that.

And I forgot the best game ever actually:

TETRIS

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nuttyfish Guest

Best game ever? Well, that would be Final Fantasy X.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

The 2 turns is part of the fun because it get harder to pump out soldiers *cough*mercs*cough*, but when you finally have them retraning is so much better.

the battles also get better, the AI handles the larger units better, but on the world map it sucks.

tetris multiplayer

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

jenyar,
    Freespace is more of a linear story oriented single player experience than freelancer. I know freelancer had a campaign but that wasnt its strong point....I thought freespace was a better game despite being made several years earlier. It was more polished.

A new stunts would be interesting!

I made it through some of the kings quest games also.

Speaking of flight sims...i still think the best was aces of the pacific. First time you got stats & medals & rank and all. It was a milestone. I actually purchased a new computer so I could play this game when it came out. Back then there were always games coming out that required the very latest in processor speeds, memory, graphics, etc.

I havent thought about that 1st multiplayer gaming experience in a long time. Hilarious. "Dude is that you?" Right before he turns around launches a rocket at you. It was so complicated with the ports and all.

9. Arditezza Banned Banned

Starcraft-Broodwars

Age of Empires-I&II

Age of Mythology-Titans Expansion

SimCity (All of them but SimCity II)

Fallout Tactics (a great game with friends)

Doom (the Original)

Overlords (for the Amiga)

Nuclear War (for the Amiga)

10. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

the final fantasy series is the most over rated pile of crap ever developed...

11. Bruce Wayne . Registered Senior Member

unsound, you blaspheme!

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

wayne, do not doubt me, you cannot win.

13. Bruce Wayne . Registered Senior Member

FF7 was great.

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

FF7 was shite.
    any of them after 3 were terrible.

15. Bruce Wayne . Registered Senior Member

I guess by 3 you mean 3 u.s and 6 j.v. I keep hearing it's great.

And 7 was really awesome.

16. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

17. Facial Valued Senior Member

Second that.

18. Facial Valued Senior Member

FF7 WAS GREAT. It is LOGICALLY UNSOUND to say that it wasn't.

19. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

gothic 1&2
    morrowind

20. Dudish dude Look out behind you...ZOMBIE!! Registered Senior Member

Tetris Is the most rubbish gameEVER

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

22. Arditezza Banned Banned

Final Fantasy 3, was really the best of the FF series hands down. But, Final Fantasy 7 comes in a very close second. Good story, involving characters, and rich graphics. Gameplay was really fun, except that saves can too few and far between. The cgi on the cut scenes was well done, better than any other game of it's time.

23. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

*very long sigghhhhhh* followed by:
    NO ONE CAN DOUBT THAT FF7 SUCKED.