Best country to live in?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Beans, Dec 29, 2007.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Huntsville is a good cosmopolitan city with very large number of engineers and scientists. There are Germans, Chinese, Indians, Russians, Koreans and Damn Britons (just kidding!) with some Salsa thrown in for housekeepers.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. peta9 Registered Senior Member

alabama? :fart:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Ummm... pure capitalism is the only system that truly works.
    What America had/has is more of a mercantilist system.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Syria have an already shit economy straining under the weight of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi refugees? Isn't it inhospitable to foreign women, gays, Jews, and pretty much anyone who is not a muslim? Even though Israel is not my choice for the greatest country in the world, it certainly rates higher than Syria.

8. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Given that, I would much rather live in a Jewish Israel, than a Muslim-run Syria.

And doesn't Israel have the interesting combination of being a "modern" developed country, but also enjoying a high birthrate?

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Only among the dirt poor arab population. But that's a great thing. The changing demographics will force the people to have greater tolerance for one another along with creating a breeding ground for atheism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. triplelite Registered Member

Australia *nods*

11. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Yes, but capitalism isn't really a system, is it?

12. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Sounds more like the US's good friend Saudi Arabia to me.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, I'll correct you. Syria has only an 11% poverty rate (same as America) and a GDP per capita of $5,000

Also, the beach is awesome

No, it isn't inhospitable to foreign women. In fact, there's a good video I'll dig up for you of American tourists who went to Syria, and the women were NOT forced to wear a Hijab, and instead in Latakia nobody did!
    Gays? Who needs 'em.
    Jews live in Syria in tiny communities in Aleppo and Damascus. Just because they move just means they want to go to their "homeland".

You seriously need to learn more about Syria. In Syria, there is a 10-16% Christians and freedom of religion. The religions also live in peace

Here's a video of the American tourist in Latakia, a Western-esque city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38RLnfHWdlA

One street that eventually runs out into a center and it opens up toward the end, basically just shops along the street

AWESOME Meridian Hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kujQmbJAM&feature=related

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Seriously learn more about Syria it's one of the most historic and beautiful countries in the world. Damascus, Latakia, Homs is very western, Aleppo is very conservative, Hamah is nice too.

What does Lebanon have? Oh yea....Beirut.....which is nice but it's only one city, and when you're there relaxing, you'll probs get shot out of nowhere by some loony.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well, if thats your view, so be it. However, I was speaking from a point of emigration, if someone was looking for a suitable country to live instead of their own.
    America has a record (if you will) , Nixon, bush I, clinton, Lying presidents subject to lobbying and deceit. Now, I'm not saying Singpaorean politicians are somewhat immune, but rather that they have a better record. Better than their neighbours anyway.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I've heard that Singapore was really rich
    What about Dubai? Nobody's mentioned it.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The gap divide between the rich and poor, and the treatment of foriengners takes it off my list.

18. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

True Fact: the U.A.E has more foreign nationals than any other nation on Earth

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

And how are they paid and treated ?

You've seen Norsefire's (and others) disdain for non Arabs who speak arabic.. It's not a giant leap to assume that their treatment of labourers is the same.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Labourers, but tourists are a different matter.

21. superstring01 Moderator

Chinese culture is known for its spitting nature. There is a long held superstition that excess saliva is better out than in (something about casting out dirty spit / bad spirits). This culture came with the population in Singapore which is about a third Chinese. In order to eradicate this trend, ordnances were passed in order to end the socially unsavory practice of spitting.

~String

22. Donnal Registered Member

the very best country is not australia and thats a fact

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Neat title Donnal !