Best Anime Series

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Is Trigun an anime? If it is, it's up in the top 10. Others are Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Samurai Champloo, Samurai X, Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop and that one show where they have the mini robots fighting in the arena. FLCL is OK, the storyline is lacking though. The Naruto mangas are ok, but the show has to much yelling for me. Actually all animes have way too much yellling. The best three IMO are Yu Yu, Inuyasha, and Cowboy Bebop/Samurai X. If Cowboy Bebop was longer, I would like it a lot more.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

Loved Neon genesis evangelion, afther that I didn't watched to much anime Altough, currently I'm watching: the Avatar the last airbender does this count as a anime?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saliere Registered Member

Dragon: I did mention Gokusen. ^_^;; I admit to neglecting Gundam Seed though. While I enjoy the Gundam series for the politics and character interplay, they’re not for everyone. I’ve heard people complain they’re too slow or convoluted for casual viewers or anyone who is not already an anime fan. Thus, I did not recommend it.

Roman: Your comments are so ridiculously generalized I’m going to assume you are making an awkward attempt to sound cool and dismissive.

As for your opinion on anime series:

Fullmetal Alchemist has long been one of my favorite anime, so I admit to some surprise that it would be so vehemently derided. I would like to ask you, what language did you watch Fullmetal Alchemist in? If it was English, I can’t make any comments with authority on the quality of the dialogue. Also, how far did you get into the series? Could you elaborate on what you thought was “retarded” about it? The characterization? The art? The symbolism, or the symbology of the series? Did you perhaps feel parts were melodramatic, or poorly written?

Naruto is a decent series, in my opinion. It may have some glaring flaws, but it’s fun and addictive for people who enjoy stories revolving around fantastic martial combat.

I didn’t watch Berserk, but I’ve read the manga. I agree with your opinion here. It’s a great series, but rather gory to recommend to someone who is just getting into anime.

I watched a small portion of FLCL, and didn’t enjoy it. Because I didn’t give the series much of a chance, I will defer to your review here.

Orcot: Avatar is not an anime, though it is heavily influenced by anime and eastern culture in general. For further information, I suggest checking out the Wikipedia article on the subject. In the bottom half of the article, they describe the cultural influences of the series.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

And from your little anime face made of carrots, I'm going to assume you love japs and wear a trench coat. You might even own a faux-samurai sword of some sort.

Naruto's childish, overstylized and unimaginative. It's pokemon for preteens. Fullmetal Alchemist is more cartoons for kids.

8. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

lol, wtf? Inuyasha is like a kids show. I agree, it is boring/bad though.

I don't understand the hate for Fullmetal though. It has a fairly good plot, once you get deeper into the series, looks ok, and can deal with some interesting/heavy issues at times. To compare it to a group of childrens shows is a little harsh. Though when comparing Fullmetal to greater anime, it can be subpart(I consider greater ones to be stuff like Ghost in the Shell and NANA).

Never seen Beserk, though I've wanted to. As for FLCL, maybe it was because of all the hype I heard about it before I saw it, but I didn't think it was that great. Yes it was inovative, crazy and unique....but not quite as godly as others make it seem.

9. Roman Banned Banned

Lain's good, as anime goes.

10. Saliere Registered Member

What a cute retort! Is this where I curl into a corner of my room and cry while I lick the wounds your sharp wit has inflicted upon me?

And yes, you’re right. Naruto is a formulaic, childish series. What a brilliant observation. You’ve managed to figure out that it’s a series whose target audience is primarily twelve-year-old boys. It’s a show about a bunch of ninjas beating the hell out of each other with really flashy techniques. It’s not intended for intellectual stimulation; it’s merely an entertaining diversion. It’s good for what it is.

Also, you completely ignored my questions about Fullmetal Alchemist. If your intent was simply to bash the series for the sake of putting something down, then fine. You’ve had fun. If you have genuine reasons for your dislike, I’d like to know what they are.

11. draqon Banned Banned

Mortal Kombat:
    Saliere vs. Roman

Go Saliere!

12. Roman Banned Banned

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Well, that's that then.

13. Saliere Registered Member

Your inability to recognize sarcasm has me in awe.

14. Roman Banned Banned

I got something else that might awe you, girly.

15. Saliere Registered Member

Sorry, I don't have a magnifying glass handy. Maybe next time.

16. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I am a grown man who watches cartoons from the orient! HUZZAH!

Anything by Leiji Matsumoto, the Romantic God of space opera.

Also Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, the original Dragon Ball, Macross, universal century Gundam up to Char's Counterattack, Speed Racer/Mach a Go Go, G-Force, Record of Lodoss War, Fushigi Yugi (the greatest shoujo-shonen mix anime), Area 88, Azumanga Daioh, Ah! My Goddess, Silent Mobius...

I like seinen (adult male) animes almost exclusively.

I also was loathe to include any newer anime, despite my love of many. This is to guage how I feel about them in a while. But in terms of newer animes:

Ergo Proxy, Last Exile, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Full Metal Panic (all three series), and Banner of the Stars (but not so much Crest and Banner II) are all possible favourites.

I also was not including any movies in the above, aside from Leiji Matsumoto. Were I to include movies, I'd be adding many more.

17. Roman Banned Banned

Oh man, how could I forget Speed Racer! That show was hilarious.

The original Dragon Ball was alright. It made up for the poor animation an recycled footage with violence.

18. draqon Banned Banned

OMG! I forgat to mention Chobits!

19. draqon Banned Banned

Chi...she is cute, pretty, and intelligent. She is all I got. She is all I need.

20. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

tough match between Dragon Ball Z and Evangelion

21. river-wind Valued Senior Member

what is it about DBZ? I honestly don't get the draw to that series. Very "Fist of the Northstar"...

22. sderenzi Banned Banned

Chi from Chobits was a sexy goddess. In retrospect I didn't like the series all that much, it was funny to me they put her off switch inside of her pussy and that was supposedly to keep him forever from banging her. It's confusing really because if the off switch was inside her vage then why not turn her off first then when he puts it in she'd turn back on. Better yet wouldn't she turn on / off continiously because he was banging her, that could be kinda kinky.

23. Kagome9393 Registered Member

I personally like Inuyasha, Euerka Seven, and Bleach. They are other Japanese anime like Trinity Blood. You choose what to watch.