Best 90's/alternative songs, and please say WHY?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by DJ Erock, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Although Garbage is a Wisconsin band, singer Shirley Manson is Scottish. They were searching for a singer, saw one of her old band's videos, and asked if she would mind relocating to Madison. The rest is history.

I don't know if the word "queer" is considered as vulgar in Scotland as it is here; you do occasionally hear Brits use it in its original meaning of "disquietingly, abnormally peculiar." There's really no good synonym for it!

The lyrics are all about heterosexuality and the word seems to be used in its original sense, grouped with strange, cold, lame and dumb.
    I think you lost the thread. Those may be big songs from the 90s, but would you call those three bands "alternative?" Aerosmith's first hit was "Dream On" in 1973. After "Sweet Emotion," "Walk This Way" and "Back in the Saddle" it's hard for me to regard "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" as "important."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Since it's a waltz, my friends' band plays it as their slow-dance song. Pretty amusing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well, there is a "/" between 90's and alternative, and I was always taught that a "/" means "and/or". So I think they all qualify under the 90's section.

Although I've often seen the Goo Goo Dolls classed as alternative.

As far as "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" goes, it might not be their first hit, and perhaps not their biggest when it comes to sales, but here it continues to receive more airplay than the other songs and in part thanks to being a movie soundtrack seems far more well known. It also inspires a whole new generation of young Aerosmith fans who wouldn't have recognized some of the songs you listed. I also think it's a more "lasting" song, and can see it being played for many years when some of the other stuff becomes(or already is) considered "dated".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Walk This Way" is a bar band staple and "Dream On" is being played on a Classic Rock station somewhere right now. Nobody can sing it or that would be a staple too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i can sing it.

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

On your side of the Atlantic maybe, but much less so here.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Sally Ann" - - - The Horseflies.

"Jack Gets Up" - - - Leo Kottke

"Odegan Taiga" - - - Huun Huur Tu

Best because they do something difficult and profound with deceptive ease, work on multiple levels, and stick in my head - returning at odd moments to deepen those moments.

Alternative because in my head is the only place I ever hear them outside of concert or purchased copy.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Like Journey. The only bar bands who can do a good job on their songs are the ones with female singers.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I guess the common repertoire of English-language rock and roll is a thing of the past. Nobody here even knows who Robbie Williams is. I had to buy "Intensive Care" on Amazon.com from a British dealer to get "Trippin'," a fabulous song I discovered only by listening to listening to our Spanish-language stations!

12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Very much so, only the few make it stateside these days.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Nikka Costa

Get Off My Sunshine.

She reminds me of Janis Joplin who I adore. So much power in her voice. I wish she were more popular than she is so that everyone could experience her voice.

I like her Like a Feather better, but its not '90s, so I can't list it in this thread.

or can I? lol

14. oleskool7 Registered Member

1. Treble Charger - Red
    2. Superdrag - Slot Machine/Phaser
    3. Toadies - Tyler
    4. Ultraspank - Five
    5. Gravity Kills - Guilty
    6. Stabbing Westward - Shame
    7. Alien Ant Farm - Movies
    8. Babylon Zoo - Spaceman
    9. Live - Lakini's Juice
    10. Oleander - I Walk Alone
    11. Better than Ezra - At the Stars
    12. Collapsis - Automatic
    13. Goldfinger - Here in your Bedroom
    14. Fuel - Sunburn
    15. Deftones - BQAD
    16. Gin Blossoms - Found out about you
    17. Candlebox - Cover Me
    18. Soundgarden - the Day I tried to live
    19. Silverchair - Pure Massacre
    20. Pearl Jam - I Got I.D.
    21. Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
    22. Radiohead - High and Dry
    23. The Heights - How do you Talk to an angel? (is that what it was called?)
    24. Counting Crows - Angels of the Silences
    25. DC Talk - Flood
    26. Buckcherry - For the Movies
    27. The Nixons - Sister
    28. Self - So Low
    29. Kula Shaker - Tattva
    30. Staind - Home
    31. System of a Down - Spiders
    32. Papa Roach - Between Angels and Insects
    33. Huffamoose - Wait
    34. Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

I'm thinking of obscure stuff the radio did play, but not in constant rotation. I could go on forever.

Oh... and anything by Hum.

Wow, music is not the same now. I can think of this many songs I like, but they're all by the same handful of bands. Maybe things will get better soon. I sure :bugeye:hope so.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR * * * *

The instructions in the O.P. specify that we must say WHY we think our songs are the best of the era and the genre. A list with no commentary is not a "discussion."

Please add your reasons to your post!

Thanks,

--F.R.

16. Shamus the Cat Registered Member

90's alt rock, by far one of my favorite genres.

Live-All Over You
    Everclear-Fire Maple Song (all of Sparkle and Fade album is superb song-writing)
    Offspring-She's Got Issues (I know Offspring had some radio hits, but this is uncommon to radio)
    Cake-I Will Survive (off from Fashion Nugget album, any song is good)-I like this cover a lot, because it's a break up song a guy can listen to
    Collective Soul-Heavy, December, Shine
    Everclear-Now That It's Over (another good break up song for guys, starts out soft and builds up near end)
    Nirvana-Lake of Fire (off their MTV Unplugged album, a great cover version of the Meatpuppets)
    Verve-Bittersweet Symphony (kind of a one-hit wonder band with this song, great tune though, nice music and great lyrics. kind of ripped off an old Stones song, and I guess they lost the rights of this song to Jagger and Richards)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-Other Side (awesome song from Californication album)
    Harvey Danger-Flagpole Sitta
    Garbage-I Think I'm Paranoid
    Stone Temple Pilots-Creep (no, I'm not mixing this one up with the Radio Head song)
    Soundgarden-Spoon Man
    Train-Drops of Jupiter (2001, not 90's)

Basically to sum it up, I'd say, quite arguably, the best bands of the 90s were Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Collective Soul, and Everclear. You really can't go wrong with any of their songs.

17. FUTURISTLIMITED Registered Member

"Alternative" was the term after "Post Modern" cough

PJ Harvey - Down By The Water
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Grey Cell Green
    Trash Can Sinatras - Obscurity Knocks
    The Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
    My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
    Chapterhouse - Breather
    Catherine Wheel - Crank
    The Ocean Blue - Between Something and Nothing
    Placebo - Bruise Pristine
    Eve's Plum - I Want It All
    Breeders - Iris
    James - Laid
    Sugar - A Good Idea
    Throwing Muses - Shimmer
    Juliana Hatfield Three - My Sister
    Sonic Youth - Drunken Butterfly
    Concrete Blonde - (TIE) Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)/Everybody Knows
    Belly - Sweet Ride
    Smashing Pumpkins - Thirty Three
    This Picture - Death's Sweet Religion
    The Wolfgang Press - Chains
    Unbelievable Truth - Angel
    Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
    Dead Can Dance - Don't Fade Away
    Depeche Mode - Halo
    Peter Murphy - Let Me Love You
    Curve - Chinese Burn
    Garbage - Vow
    Siouxsie & The Banshees - Not Forgotten
    The Cure - Burn
    New Order - Regret
    Nitzer Ebb - Lightning Man
    Front Line Assembly - Mindphaser
    Skinny Puppy - Spasmolytic
    Front 242 - Tragedy <For You>
    Nine Inch Nails - Suck

Just a few of the songs from the 90's that got me through. It was to say the least a more confusing time for music since the 80's simple new wave or punk refuge. In my opinion Nirvana shat all over the music business. But punk influenced acts got their chance and it was a huge explosion. Industrial got it's opportunity for a short while too with NIN getting huge. But what I can say most about the 90's is that it all seemed so disposable in that era. Wash N Dry. 80's was a superb and stellar decade for music - you could not pin it all down. The current decade is at it's end and almost all of it takes refuge from the 70's and 80's. It's interesting. I have to say though that my list above...serious tunes for a night with Budweiser some smokes and some cool effin friends. Cheers.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Once again, may I remind you all of the rule in the thread title:

PLEASE SAY WHY

Shamus, please edit your post and explain why you think those were some of the best songs of the era. You're welcome to explain how they all fall into a category and then just say why that category was so great.

But you have to say SOMETHING.

Otherwise this isn't a discussion, it's just a bunch of people yelling "I like this!" We want to know WHY you like it, please.

I AM GOING TO START DELETING POSTS LIKE THIS, ONES THAT DON'T FOLLOW THE RULE AND SAY WHY. CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED!

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Futurist, the same criticism applies to your post. You tried and I give you partial credit for trying; you said you like these songs because "they got [you] through." I might be inclined to let that slide if it was just ONE SONG, but you've got an entire laundry list here. Surely you must have some technical, analytical perspective on music, so you can explain what that assortment of songs all have in common that connected with you.

The same directive applies to you: Please edit your post and say more about those songs.

Otherwise, as I said, I'm going to start deleting. This thread is not providing any value to the other members.

Thanks! -- F.R.

20. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

Would always gives me such a twinge of nostalgia. it was the first AiC song i ever "knew", after deciding one summer that i didn't really like my parents country music, and now that i had my own radio i coud listen to other things... i accidently recorded it on a cassette off the radio (you remember.. that thing we did before p2p networks?) and fell in love with it. funny part is i missed the first opening line. to this day that line always sounds out of place.. like when they adapt a movie for television and parts are changed, becuase id listened to it so MANY times without the first line.

limp bizkit was one of these bands too, that i discovered along with the entire genre of anything-not-country, remember counterfit?

my high school dance team competed with Lump. it turned out pretty good.

i loved the old green day stuff. i dont like their current sound at all. but dookie was a great cd. even us silly jr high girls could rock out to their sound. it was simple and catchy and rebellious all at the same time.

Things I havn't seen on lists yet that REALLY take me back..
    grinspoon - "more than you are"
    Guano Apes - "open your eyes".. wasn't until years later i learned the lead singer is chick!
    Marcy Playground - "sex and candy". i think it was like Orleander mentioned, it seemed so scandelous to sing at the time that you just HAD to like it!
    Oasis - "champagne supernova"
    Our Lady Peace - "somewhere out there" at some point the life soundtrack to everyone's heartache in the mid ninetys.

and saving the best for last, this song reminds me so much of growing up in the 90s and all the memorys i had as a teenager, wave those lighters, cell phones.. cause here it is:
    Candlebox- "far behind".

21. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

It was my first AiC song too. I saw 'Singles' and I was absolutely stunned. I saw the video later (once upon a time, MTV was cool) and then recorded 90-min tape with just 'Would?' on it (there were no CDs or Winamp shuffle back then

) drowning myself into recursion of pure awesomeness.
    Ah the days...

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  23. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Without a doubt the best alternative songs came from the Counting Crows. Their first album, August And Everything After - 1993. The entire album was and is, a sublime feast of haunting melodies and confessional lyrics, all colluding to inspire, invoke and release the creative Geist that dwells inside. G_d knows many paintings were daubed listening to Adam sing. They still are.

Oh yes, and this album helped me heal from the pain of abandonment. Les Misérables. :m: