Benazir Bhutto R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Buffalo Roam, Dec 27, 2007.

1. kmguru Staff Member

You mean those demonstrations against America and Israel? That happens in India too.

Do they have a mosque or hindu temple in Tel Aviv?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

I usually talk to my Pakistani friends. They are a better source than some idiot's rantings or comments by someone from Timbuktoo.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It was right after a rally, a lot of people saw a man firing shots a Bhutto, and when approached by security, blew himself up. Mustafa Abu al-Yazid had claimed responsibility. Musharraf responded by nationally declaring to eliminate all terrorists in Pakistan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Too many conflicting stories

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/bhutto.death.accounts/

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Jeezus, Sam. You should be especially renditioned. You're in Al Quidprollahmadpromojihad, aren't you?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whats that? Sound cool.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

ahmedodmjitqulshiwulla

wait, I'm still working onit.

alqaedakutzumoshforce

anyway, you're one of them aintcha

OK just kidding, you can spank me now, I'll be quiet.

:shrug::itold::sleep:

that was sad, about Benazir.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you talking about the divine Jesus, who was unfairly thrown into Abu Ghraib for his part in inciting rebellion against the oppressive imperialists?

How dare you!!! :itold:

Cute, isn't he?

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It's the eyes :bugeye:He thinks we're all hot like Sandy, sez yahabibti n stuff

13. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Butto assasinated

The news was a real surprise too me. As a person who was following the political events in Pakistan ever since I started listening to and watching the news, I didn't expect her to be assasinated so easily... Her father and two brothers were also killed for political reasons.. and given the bloody welcome she received on the day of her return, one wonders why security measures were so shaky around her. It's interesting to see people rushing to and fro in the scene after the blast with maimed bodies all around, I suppose this country has not heard of something called the police cordon.

Anyway, anybody can jump into conclusions according to their own worldview, but there are more than one possible culprit:

- Starting with the ones to least benefit from her death, Iran and Afghanistan comes to ones mind. Though Afghanistan will have its rightful reasons for seeking revenge on Pakistan, but the last thing these countries would want would be another source of instability next to them. That would be a tragic scenario especially for Iran.

- India may benefit from creating instability inside Pakistan. It is of course the biggest adversary of Pakistan, but the relations was on an improving trend recently and besides, India does not have such a record in its past. Besides an instable Pakistan, however wished for by India, may also pose a threat to India.

- Foreign powers (and I take it as granted that you know what I mean by this term) have long been known to be interfering and even manipulating the politics in Pakistan. The open support given to Gen. Zia-ul-Haq and Parvez Musharraf by these powers is not a secret to anybody. They have virtually managed to affect the politics in Pakistan anytime they wanted (which is always in effect). This is especially important considering the geopolitical significance of Pakistan, its military power and its active Islamic society. Do not forget that many still question the real reasons behind the death of Zia-ul-Haq, and do not also forget the direct threat done by Bush to turn Pakistan back to the stone age if they didn't cooperate on the so-called (I love this word

) War on Terror.

- If you want to evaluate the events in a bigger context, consider this:Benazir Butto had quite a popularity, at least among certain groups in Pakistan, and one should be stupid not to understand that her killing would cause a great turmoil in a powerful Islamic state. Remember the same scenario in Lebanon where a much popular political figure, Rafik Al-Hariri, was assasianted in a similar manner and the great turmoil that started afterwards. And let's remember that the ones who suffered the biggest damages from this killing were Syria and the Lebanese poeple. Guess who gained the most!

- Taliban in Pakistan (and Al-Qaeda) has rejected their participation in this assasination. But if their target is to tackle the pro-American elite, and end the American influence on their country, then they are also one of the main culprit candidates. But the question is what would Taliban gain if the situation slipped out of control and an internal war (not necessarily a civil war) started in Pakistan, that would create the chance for more foreign interference. Also consider the fact that Taliban and Al-Qaeda has a considerable popularity in Pakistan. Butto was a pro-US politician and one who was almost drowned in the allegations of corruption (amounting up to 1.2 bn. USD). But also do not forget that it was in Butto's era that Taliban was created in Pakistan (by ISI & Britain training, Saudi Arabian money and of course the support of the foreign powers

)

- Last bot not the least, comes the current regime in Pakistan. Musharraf seemingly wants to keep his power, I'm not sure how powerful his standing is among the Pakistani military right now, but it seems he liked taking all the power in his hand. It can easily be an assasination organized by the state or some secret bodies within the state (consider the long history of political conflicts and killings in Paksitan starting from Benazir's father). But it seems this murder has put Musharraf in a real uneasy situation. Also let's not forget that Butto was the only leader who was willing to cooperate with Musharraf. I personally fear some other military general may overthrow Musharraf and announce martial law to restore peace. That would mean a farewall to democracy in Pakistan.

14. Vega Banned Banned

what? Bhutto is dead!!!

15. chuuush Registered Senior Member

No. I was talking about mother Teresa!!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  16. Vega Banned Banned

Check the spelling It's Mother "Teresa"...

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You can't win for dying

You can't win for dying. The Los Angeles Times notes:

To the other, I heard the news just as I was arriving at a friend's house to puzzle over a couple manuscripts. It made for an odd morning, I admit. But he made a valuable point that the Times seems to overlook: It was her job to die.

That's just the way it goes sometimes. The situation is so twisted that everyone from "the terrorists" to Musharraf to even our own Bush administration gets something out of this. While the Times acknowledges that—

—it seems to overlook what has been conventional wisdom around the White House for at least the last seven years: Democracy and freedom are nice and all, but come on, dude ....

In other words, those who would advance imperialism and militarism as the only viable cures to the world's sociopolitical ills just received a gift in the form of Benazir Bhutto's corpse.

A couple of interesting notes: I first heard of Benazir Bhutto years ago; her name was given as an example of a female political leader from elsewhere in the world. This was probably about 1988, when she was sworn in as Prime Minister. Strangely, my mother, who generally hides her knowledge of world events in favor of presenting a cheerful "carry on, carry on" attitude, came out of nowhere Friday with the point about corruption charges. I found that interesting, but you have to know my mother in order to feel the greater effect of that moment. And on a more selfish note, this news managed to ruin what was otherwise a fine week. Lastly, it would appear we might have a new conspiracy theory for the ages:

A survivor is overcome with emotion after the attack, which killed at least 20 people in addition to Bhutto.
    (John Moore / Getty Images)

Notes:

Board Editorial. "Beyond Benazir". LATimes.com. December 29, 2007. See http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-bhutto29dec29,0,263348.story

King, Laura. "Taliban blamed for attack on Bhutto". LATimes.com. December 29, 2007. See http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-pakistan29dec29,0,6806852.story

See Also:

LATimes.com, "The assassination of Benazir Bhutto". See http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-bhutto_assassination-pg,0,3714329.photogallery

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

20. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Yes,you're right. Sorry! I was eating while writing that

thanks

21. Sleepless Registered Member

Nice. You missed one out, many people here believe, Benazirs husband might also be behind her killing, since hes the new chairperson of the party, hes corrupt as hell though.

22. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

(laughs), the 13 steps, sounds like one of those martial art movies. Never mind, chuush hasn't followed the 13 steps yet.

23. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, that's quite a news then, though I didn't see any such implication in the Pakistan news sites..