Belly Piercing for Teenage Girls

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My daughter insisted on getting a belly piercing--she's only 14. Now initially I was against it, but decided that she could have chose something much worse, so my wife and I gave her permission. She and two of her friends are now sporting bellybutton ornaments. It doesn't look as trashy as I had feared; however, I told her that that is as far as it goes. I've seen people who have gone to the extreme with body piercings, and it looks like shit. It's like tattoos, one or two are fine, but people often take it too far.

So what is your take on piercings and such? It's my understanding that piercings are reversible if left alone, so I feel a little less concerned about a belly piercing than say a tattoo. Nonetheless, there is a limit.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

It's a very personal thing, but some piercings can turn into a major health issue. I'm betting if you did a search on "piercings gone wrong" you'd find something to share with your daughter and her friends that might make them think twice about any future piercings.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. seagypsy Banned Banned

I think it would matter more to me, why they want the piercing. If the reasons were purely fashion, I'd say no. Well, I'd say not at 14 in any case, but my daughter is turning 16 tomorrow. And I have told her she can get a small tattoo in a spot that is usually covered by clothing. But it isn't without strings attached. She watches that Ink competition show and she sees how bad things can turn out. She has seen how difficult it can be to get the tattoo you want and how difficult it is to pick something that will be relavant to her for a lifetime. Ultimately she has chosen not to get one. She thinks piercings can be cool looking but she has also seen the infections people can get from them and how badly you can be judged for having one. She doesn't want to be judged as something other than what she is so has also ruled out piercings.

Art is very subjective. A single painting can be interpreted so many ways, She understands that her appearance will give an impression to others and since piercings an tattoos are permanent art, people would judge her based on their interpretations of her body art rather than how she intends the art to be seen. A blank canvas gives her a stronger chance that she will be judged by her actions rather than appearance.

Because I know she has a very mature outlook and fully understands the pros and cons of body art, I am willing to let her make the choice for herself. There are many risks to permanent body art, she understands them and can decide for herself if she is willing to take those chances.

She was not the same person at 14 that she is now. 2 years ago I would have laughed if she even joked about getting permanent body art.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. seagypsy Banned Banned

UV Tattoos

Ok I just looked up an alternative to the tattoos that may be a block to getting a job in a professional field. UV tattoos. They are virtually invisible in regular daylight, but under a blacklight they glow. My daughter and I both like this idea and may consider it as a mom and daughter day.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Poor doggy, didn't get to choose for itself. I also posted this into the amazing animals topic. I feel sorry for this dog but damn it's a cutie.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

She tries so hard in school and brings home good grades, I wanted to give something back, like a little independence. She is happy with the piercing.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

As long as you don't mind it drawing the attention of old perverts like me, what's the big deal? I mean, there's no harm at me staring at her young supple belly is there?

11. seagypsy Banned Banned

Well she will likely be fine. A belly piercing at least is hidden when dressed for most jobs. And if she loses her affection for it she can just remove the jewelry and the hole will be barely noticeable. Just make sure she knows how to keep it clean and dressed until it is done healing. Follow whatever care instructions she was given exactly. If there are any signs of trouble,(prolonged redness, discharge, swelling, localized fever) get her to a doctor. She will need to take special precautions if she is involved in any sports, because it can get snagged.

I doubt though, that the hole will close if she decides against it a couple of years from now. But like you said, sometimes people take it too far. Stick to your guns on the limitations you set and all should be fine.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm more concerned about the boys in her school. Her boyfriend is a 6'4" football player, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

13. seagypsy Banned Banned

I am assuming you are aware that the belly piercing is considered very sensual and often intended to spark sexual curiosity. I hope this 6'4" boyfriend doesn't see it as an enticement to explore her body further than she or you feel is appropriate. Most body piercings have a sexual connotation and are even at times treated as aphrodisiacs. Is a 14 year old girl consciously aware of this? Are you?

14. Balerion Banned Banned

At that age, piercings are really just about fitting in and looking good for potential boyfriends/girlfriends. I got my ear pierced when I was 13 for that very reason, and my first tattoo at 17 for the same. Your daughter is probably no different. As long as you're okay with it, there's nothing to worry about. Belly piercings aren't invitations to get raped, as seagypsy seems to think, so don't sweat it. They're so common now they've likely lost whatever taboo-breaking charm they once had and are now no different than earrings or browrings.

15. seagypsy Banned Banned

LMAO, wow, Balerion. I didn't say it was an invitation for rape. Sheesh, reading a bit too far into things are we? Please do not put words in my mouth. As you have shown as an example, getting piercings at that age is often intended to "look good" to the boyfriend/girlfriend. Why would one want to look good for them and what does "look good" mean at that age? Chili cheese fries look good but do they wear chili and cheese on their shirts? No that is something that looks good for satisfying hunger for food. A modest Sunday dress looks good but most young girls don't wear their church clothes to impress boyfriends because that is something that looks good to old people who think they are impressing god. What drives young people are (though not exclusively) hormones of the sexual nature. Why would anyone want to impress a mate? Why have a mate? oh that's right to reproduce, and how do we do that...ooops that's right SEX! I was only suggesting, that she may subconsciously be wanting sexual attention. NOT RAPE. And too often, young boys assume that the methods of seeking that attention are an invitation to pursue, sometimes aggressively. It may also do good to consider the possibility that if her boyfriend pursued there would be no rape needed to achieve any goals. Please do not mistake what I say to imply she is a slut or anything like that. Sexual curiosity is normal at that age. But being curious doesn't mean that they understand their desires or the consequences of experimenting. People often want some sort of attention to their sexuality but can't control the type of attention the get or from whom the attention comes. It's a trade off that we all deal with. I want to dress in a way that flatters my figure and makes me appealing to other men when I am out with my husband, as weird as it may seem, because it makes him feel proud to be with me. What kind of wife would you want to be seen with, a fat slob who wears house slippers to Wal-mart or classy sexually attractive woman? I'm gonna take a risk and assume most men would choose to be seen with a woman that is smoking hot even when dressed like a librarian, over a fat slob with no class. So I dress in a way to make my husband proud to be seen with me. As a trade off I get checked out by greasy dirty uncouth men who don't have the decency to keep their fantasies locked in their own heads, they stare, whistle, and sometimes make comments. They are rude and obnoxious yes. They are practicing free speech and i return the favor by telling them to fuck off or go take a bath. Did I invite their behavior by looking classy and attractive? No. Should they behave like they do? No. but it is just common sense to expect certain reactions from certain types of people.

There is never any excuse for rape. That does not mean that we should not exercise wisdom and take into consideration there are people out there who will do what they want no matter what. I am only suggesting, that the girl should be mentally prepared to handle inappropriate advances from boys, including her boyfriend. If her dad is confident that she can effectively assert herself against her boyfriend then there should be no problems. And in the OP's case, I am sure he has considered all the points I have made. But some other less experienced parents may be reading this and maybe something I have said will help them in assessing the maturity level of their child before allowing them to get any sort of body art.

16. tashja Registered Senior Member

Piercing attractive and gateway to tramp stamp, after that, you get more tattoos, and then more tattoos until body covered, yes?

17. seagypsy Banned Banned

That can be true, but I wouldn't say it is a rule. I know plenty of people who have one simple piercing or tattoo and they never take it further. As a matter of fact, most of hte people I know who have a tattoo or a piercing only have a single piece of body art. Only a few of the people I know took it further.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I've notice the increasing popularity of tramp stamps, but I guess its just the style of the day, and the twits that get them will hopefully grow out of it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  19. tashja Registered Senior Member

Bowser's daughter should get boyfriend to brand himself with her name.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Come now. tats are more permanent than marriage. Doing someones name is never a good idea. :shrug:

21. tashja Registered Senior Member

True. I'm sorry for many with tashja's name on their body.

22. seagypsy Banned Banned

lol, why?

23. tashja Registered Senior Member

Boyfriend is American bull.