Belgian Chocolate.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Aug 18, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

My dearest friend is in Belgium for six weeks and has sent me, literally, a huge case of every variety of amazing, AMAZING chocolate available there. Even at my increased consumption levels, it would take a month to work through it.

But, damn! They make good chocolate!

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the do make the best choc (though the swiss give them a run for there money) we used to use it at work.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Is it Leonidas?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I bet its Neuhaus.

I purchased from them daily while living in Brussels. Praline divine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. superstring01 Moderator

Côte d'Or.

It's amazing. So smooth. And REALLY high in caffeine.

He sent me every kind available. Small wrapped mixed types. Huge bars. Blocks. Truffle filled bars with flavors like hazelnut, almond, white chocolate. It's insanely good. I had to take the stuff over my parents house and put it in the fridge because I just kept eating and eating.

Now it's safely 2.5km away from me. . . until I get up the will to drive over.

~String

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You might find that they are all gone by the time you return

10. superstring01 Moderator

Good. I avoid junk food like the plague. And while I'd truly miss the stuff, I'd grudgingly accept its absence as being better for me.

~String

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You know what, I'm a gym rat and I'm always obsessing about the odd devastating five pounds that I quickly move to lose but if someone gave me a box of Neuhaus chocolates I would throw caution to the wind and adoringly eat every one of them. Yes, I'd rather do that and kvetch for the rest of the week and not eat another piece of chocolate for the rest of the year.

How can you possibly consider good chocolate junk food?

Its a delicacy.

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

That stuff is pretty expensive, too. You should probably suck his dick now.

13. superstring01 Moderator

Chocolate--in and of itself--is not junk food. But seven pounds of the stuff. Milk. White. Dark. With almonds. With caramelized almonds. With hazelnut nougat. Toffee filled. Moca flavored. Orange-dark chocolate truffles with chopped almonds. And on and on. The shit is exquisite.

Look, I woke up at 4:30am today to get to work. It's now 1:40am the next day and I haven't slept yet. Know why? Well, setting aside my insomnia (which is uniquely balanced out by a long day at work), I'm still awake because I ate two whole blocks of the stuff. Not "bars" or "chunks". Blocks. Europeans put more caffeine in their chocolate than most espresso bars serve in a day. I'm betting I also gobbled down more than 2k calories too.

I ate two bars today. Each with a mass of 200g. I couldn't stop myself. One heavenly bar was given the hideous name "Dessert 58" (which just smacks of non-primary English speakers attempting to find a cool sounding name) and the other is called, "Praliné Blanc" which had hazelunt filling in a white chocolate coating.

Both devoured today.

Well, that would require a trip to Belgium and somehow getting past his wonderful Flemish wife. I'm betting she keeps him happy. Word 'round the scuttlebutt is that Flemings give great head.

~String

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Is your friend in Belgium who I think he is?

15. superstring01 Moderator

I don't know. Who do you think he is? I'm a smart guy, but by no means a mind reader.

~String

16. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Well, someone who used to come here, and who lives in Belgium.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

His wife is Russian, not Flemish.

Menawhile I am orgasming over Schogetten Dark chocolate here.

18. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Can I have some too?:facepalm:

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Only to find an empty box..

Edit: Oh damn, Lucy beat me to it

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't hold your breath..

Face it Bebe, he's not giving any of it away!

21. superstring01 Moderator

My buddy is a Spaniard who married a woman from Flanders. I get all sorts of junk food in the mail (we usually exchange stuff: I send him jeans, shirts and whatnot) and in return I get chocolate. I count myself as the winner.

My favorite is Al Almendro. The chocolate with almonds is amazing.

~String

22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I bring a nice little stash of goodies whenever I come from Brazil. Things like mate tea, dende oil, cupuacu bombons, guarana, and my favourite cosmetics (Natura brand pitanga moisturizer, bath oil, soap etc, and my cocoa butter chapstick) Can't live without these things.

I've shipped cashew juice to places, too. I sent some stuff to a friend in scotland too, but I can't remember what it was.

Maybe we should try a "paypal"/secret santa candy thing here on TPS, where you send a tasty treat from your region to a randomly selected sciforumer.
    The only problem with that would be to trust people with your address.
    In another forum we do secret santa every year, but we've know eachother over there for a very long time.

23. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately not all parts of the world are equal in their offerings.

Anyone want some overcooked beavertail meat? Mmmmm yummy, any takers?