Being a Gentleman

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstring01 Moderator

Having her children hold the door isn't about what adults need. Odd that you missed that. Learning to have a servan mentality (ie a servant to humanity) is an essential part of teaching humility and morality. It tells the person "you're never too good to humble yourself and do something nice.")

It's called good parenting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mordea Registered Senior Member

Indeed. It's about putting children in their place. I do the same to my dog when I order it to roll over and play dead.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

That was about the single most dense comment I've heard on this forum in ages.

You've attempted to equate a perpetually unequal relationship (humans and dogs) to an evolving relationship (parent and child). Idiotic. What's sad is that you ignored the point about considering one's self a servent of humanity, ignored the point about humility and attempted to spin the entire thing into some master-servant relationship.

Maybe you should pay attention: Like sensory development, many social lessons can only be taught effectively during a certain window. For example, optical reception can only be developed--neurologically--during the first four years of life. If the optic nerve is pinched, and the brain never forms the synaptic connections during that period, they will lock in place. Even if the optic nerve is repaired after that time, the brain will never have the appropriate cerebral mechanisms to effectively process sight. Likewise, social lessons must be imprinted at certain times in life. Humility, being essential to a strong sense of self, is impressed upon children early on. Having a child hold the door for a parent doesn't teach the child to be a mindless slave, it teaches them that, in life, there is always someone to serve and respect. Respecting a person doesn't mean giving one's mind over to them or being a slave to them. Proper parenting, especially at a young age, teaches a child that, in fact, it's more than okay to pause and hold the door for an old lady, the handicapped or--shit--for any person who approaches. Often in life (and I dare you to go out an NOT see this) you'll see people simply walk through a door, cut in line, or take some other socially cold tact, without consideration to the negative effects it has on the person behind them. This happens on account of the fact that, in this age, people have evolved an attitude of "why should I?" instead of, "why shouldn't I?"

Clearly you're a contrarian who lacks the ability to see this. More striking is the fact that you miss the overall point, foolishly ignore the minutia, and attempt to draw some similarity between a human-canine relationship and the parent-child relationship.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mordea Registered Senior Member

Quite the contrary. It's simply an analysis of attitude's held by individuals who expect servitude and slavish obedience from certain segments of society, such as children. In order for the parent to remain the superior in the parent-child relationship of today's society, the child must be constantly reminded of its subservience (much like the dog-human relationship). Hundreds of years ago no-one would have denied this, however today authoritarianism is becoming a dirty word. So parents try and claim that they put a child in its place for the child's benefit. To this I say "Hah!".

I did not ignore it, I simply consider it poppycock. Teaching your child to be subservient does not assist them. Quite the contrary, it prepares them to be a good little worker bee, nothing more. The most successful individuals in the adult world are not the most generous, honest and kind. Quite the contrary, they are deceitful, mean and double-faced.

By the way, I don't appreciate your tone and outright personal attacks. Quit it. Further personal attacks will be reported. This is your only warning.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I like a guy who has dignity and follows his own well thought out code of behaviour.

Someone who is polite, gentle natured but aggressive when necessary, is very attractive.

But those things are good qualities in both sexes. I NEVER expect a man to treat me with kid gloves, or put me first.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I agree with this principle but I don't agree with expecting children to hold doors for adults. I wouldn't treat a much younger person like that, it's like saying they're worth less than me as a human being, so I get to go through the door first.

10. superstring01 Moderator

For a time, it's important for children to learn to serve. Leadership is taught at another age. Failing to teach a child that there is no excuse for snobbery (the kind you're showing now) makes them social malcontents and thankless. As the child grows (as my parents did with mean) the stress on service never ended, but the nature of the service did. In the case of my family--for example--we were required to adopt a family at the holiday times; raise money for the things we provided and then bring them whatever we could. My parents never even remotely instilled a "slave" mentality, but part of great leadership and part of a well adjusted personality is knowing how to serve another human being; by recognizing that YOU are never above anybody.

As manager of HR and executive recruiter for the company that employs me, this moral lesson has kept me on an ethical path that I've seen many, MANY others stray from and subsequently fail. By always keeping the servant mentality in my mind, I'm able to identify those who see themselves as "the exception" who think that others should serve them while they hold a superior position. When a leader can humble himself and serve those who he supervises, you know he/she is a true leader. That is an integral part of the servant mentality.

To this I say, "It's obvious that you either have no children or have no clue what it takes to rear a well-adjusted, ethical, grounded human being."

I see you confused the words "subservient" and "servant". You wonder why I wonder as to your reading comprehension. What part do you consider poppycock? The part about teaching ethics, the part about teaching humility or the part about always holding a "servant" mentality? You do realize that holding a "servant" mentality is critical for any executive position; as they are servants of someone (and the good ones always keep this in mind).

Teaching a person to always see themselves as a servant of humanity (meaning that their life, in some way, should be best spent by always seeing themselves as a servant to the human races; always taking pride in what they contribute to it). I did state this fact.

The fact is, in life, there will always be someone to serve. And it's telling--again--that you missed this point. Even the greatest leaders on earth, from the dawn of time, have had a "servant" mentality. It's one in which the individual is always aware of who they serve and when to stop serving.

Knock yourself out!

~String

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's simply the culture; generally, men ought to protect their ladies.

I am not saying ladies are weak nor am I saying that ladies cannot protect themselves; I am only saying that it is customary for a man to look out for a lady. That's being a gentleman. That's the manners side of it, and boys grow up today looking at ladies as nothing more than objects, and not caring about intellectualism or virtue. At least, that's the way I see it (there are exceptions, of course)

Both genders ought to be taught good values.

By the way, I must say, I agree with String 100% in this thread.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Could be more that your perspective is changing so you notice these things more. Best thing is for peple to live in an area that meets their expectations. For example, you wouldnt (i am assuming) live in a liberal area but many people like to.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

but you are being kind of an idiot teaching people to be polite is not them same thing as teaching them to let people walk all over them. My parents taught me to be polite. I hold doors open for people say please and thank you and will offer to help perfect strangers. I am by no means the docile little worker bee you claim that that will cause.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh sweetie :facepalm:

15. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Why does it need to be gender or age specific? I think the issue is one of politeness and consideration of others vs some traditional concept of chivalry or servility.

I'll hold the door for a man or woman carrying packages or attempting to herd their children into or out of a building. Or for whomever is behind me simply because I arrived at the door first, at the very least holding the door open for them to catch rather than letting is slam in their face.

At the same time I expect these parents to keep their children from running around the dining room screaming while I am trying to have a pleasant dinner, my dining partners to pay attention to conversation and the other diners present rather than taking cell-phone calls and texting, the old man with the hacking cough to cover his mouth, and the gaggle of teens to keep their voices at conversation level.

It's simply being polite and should apply regardless of demographic. If people then wish to make additional gestures of respect, care, or attention they are appreciated but not expected. My wife appreciates it when I assist her with her coat and I appreciate it when she hands me my gloves but neither of us will be upset if it doesn't happen.

~Raithere

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The reasons why are very important

Orleander is actually onto a very important notion:

As a male member of Generation X, I have witnessed the denigration of chivalry. I remember this one time at a Shari's near my school, my mother got upset with me for not holding the door properly. A large woman was coming out, I was going in, and my mother was too close behind me to pull the door open and hold it, so I slipped through and held the door open from the inside. My mother thought this consummately rude, but what the hell was I supposed to do, smack her in the head with the door?

And over time I dated a number of my peers who resented the idea that I should hold the door or move a seat for them. They are perfectly capable women, thank you very much.

So the conflict arose, at least for Generation X, of calculating chivalry within a feminist environment. Much of the "courtesy" we learned growing up has to do with the presumption of frailty and incapability about women. Other aspects have to do with maintaining a woman's appearance. The underlying message of these facets of courtesy and chivalry are that women are incapable and supposed to just look nice.

For many of my peers, this marked permission to abandon courtesy and chivalry. For others, it simply demanded a modification. People hold doors, period, around here; it is actually rather unexpected to follow someone out a door and have it slam back in your face. Instead of simply holding doors for women, many men have become even more courteous, instinctively or explicitly holding a door for the entire train of people passing behind them.

And therein lies the choice between Jedi and Sith. Any number of other factors can affect the decision in the moment, but did we hold doors for women because we were trying to be courteous to our fellow human being, attempting to assist an incapable person, or hoping to impress a chick so we might get a little?

I've known men who hated feminism because they offended a date by trying to be too manly and chivalrous. And if you'd like a glimpse inside the neurosis of anti-feminism, try talking to one of the guys who hates the idea of doing special things for women, but set down that path because he wasn't supposed to go out of his way to do special things for women.

The art of being a gentleman has its merits, but there exists a question of its foundation. For many, being a lady or gentleman is simply part of common courtesy. For others, it's a way of reminding themselves that they are, in fact, better than other people. And when those people lose that leverage, the whole effort of dignity, reserve, and propriety falls apart.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

all agendas aside, i think it's nice when people are cordial, and mannerly, and conscientious of others.

18. kira Valued Senior Member

From my observation, there are men who are genuinely gentlemen, but there are also men who only turn become gentlemen toward attractive ladies, lol! :facepalm:

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

this may be an appropriate thread in which to bring up a pet peeve of mine...moshing. grrrr...

a fairly recent development, predominately enjoyed by young men.

i go to a lot of shows, and i don't feel like i should be assaulted just because i'm at a music venue. put that behavior in any other venue, and it's assault.

not necessarily the "lord of the flies dance" itself, but the act of clearing the way for it. here about 75% of the floor is taken up by about 5% of the crowd. bullshit!

i was at the bamboozle festival in jersey a few years ago, and i was standing around waiting for the next band to start, talking to a friend, when all of a sudden someone shoves me from behind. really hard. i was wearing some capris from hot topic, and my chucks, and a "i <3 dorks" t-shirt. from behind, i probably looked like a teenage girl. i turned around, and confronted the teenage boy who had shoved me. when he saw that i was his mother's age, i could see the color drain out of his face. i walked up to him, and in a very taxi driver kind of way said "did YOU just shove ME?"

"i'm sorry ma'am! i was just trying to clear the floor so we can mosh!"

how is that ok?

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

He was wrong to push you. He should have politely asked you to move.

But I wouldn't say moshing is wrong. It's an accepted custom that a small area at the front is for people to mosh. Most people are happy to move to one side if impact isn't their thing.

I love moshing. Not the wisest thing for a 52kg female, but I do it anyway, and my skeleton does seem to be made or strong stuff...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I always expect my man to put me first. I put him first.

22. mike47 Banned Banned

A gentlemen is a man with principles of fairness, justice and equality to all .
    The rest will differ from culture to culture .
    In some cultures a gay man is a gentleman while in other cultures he is always a trash .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well hell. Gay men can't win can they.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.