Becoming aware......

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Centaurus1, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Empty Dragon.......

I am talking about the emotional energy of passion since love and hatred are realy just examples of passion.

Passion is a word which describes ones state of consciousness and or mind, it only becomes tangible through action of some kind. Emotional energy comes from the person.

Ignorance and hatred are not he same thing.

I’m sorry if I gave the impression that they were the same thing, what I meant was, it is through ignorance that we hate, it is self evident.

Hatred is a passion, Ignorance is having un-concsious mind.

Ignorance;

The condition of being ignorant; the want of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.

the lack of knowledge or education

Can you tell the difference between good and evil?

To a certain degree, yes.

Does good or evil really exist out side our preseptions

Yes, I don’t see why not, what do you think?

is it an inffallible [/B]truth[/B]?

No……I would say they are different degrees of conditioned consciousness, but through goodness one can come to the platform of approach the infallible Truth, God.

Love

Jan Ardena.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Emotional energy, passionate energy what is the difference?
    To me it pretty much has the same meaning

Granted igronace is a vehicle for hatred but even if some one is not ignorant they hate. Hatred is in a form of its self
    Please use your own definitions. I find it allows us to furthere the debate insteed of relying on what some one else has already said. Words are mearly represent truth not truth in its self.

Do you know for sure? Define good and Evil

Just as much as hatred and ignornace

How do YOU know god is the truth?(Use philosophy not theology I wanna hear what you have to say not what some one else has written)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Empty Dragon.......

Emotional energy, passionate energy what is the difference?
    To me it pretty much has the same meaning

I understand what you mean, but upon closer inspection, they play different roles. Emotion is a feeling of some sort (happiness, sadness, joy, elation, love, hate), it is a state of feeling, an expression which is beyond the body and rational mind but affects the body, mind and soul profoundly. It is a higher expression.

When one is passionate about something, it means they have a strong desire to achieve, therefore they are very often self-centered and proud. Usually you will find that a passionate person is never satisfied with his lot and always seeks to achieve more, the more passionate one becomes, the more important he thinks he is and anybody who does not meet with his percieved standard, becomes less important. this is the nature of passion.

When emotion is mixed with passion, then you get a powerful expression, this expression can be fantastically joyful and wonderful for the recipients, or it can be extremely potent and dangerous, it all depends on the type of emotion. Usually though, even if in the beginning the emotion is positive, because it is fuelled by passion, ultimately it is doomed.

even if some one is not ignorant they hate.

If one is essentially good, then the concept of hate has no meaning, because one understands that everything material is only temporary, and though someone may act maliciously toward them, they know it is because they are in the mode of passion or ignorance, and not in full control of themselves. They understand that there actions are fully under the control of the temporal material nature.

Please use your own definitions.

Normally I do, but the posters here are generally so hung up on logic, that while here, I give dictionary meanings of words so they can understand.

Words are mearly represent truth not truth in its self.

Words can reprisent the truth, but not always. Essentially they reprisent the mundane aspect of the person, depending on the personality and character of the individual. Saying that though, there are obviously some who can use words to transcend the mundane, in the form of literary works, poetry and song.

Define good and Evil

Good is acting in harmony with nature, acting in everybodys self interest, directly and indirectly, and forsaking ones own selfish desires.
    Evil is transgressing nature, it is acting purely in ones own selfish self interest.

How do YOU know god is the truth?

Like I know anything else, through faith, curiosity, study, association with devotees, hearing devotees, chanting the names of God, experience, observation, fulfilled prophecy, deduction, further study, humility, and so on.

Love

Jan Arden.

P.S. Check your pm’s.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

If one is essentially good, then the concept of hate has no meaning, because one understands that everything material is only temporary, and though someone may act maliciously toward them, they know it is because they are in the mode of passion or ignorance, and not in full control of themselves. They understand that there actions are fully under the control of the temporal material nature.

But if some one knoes the truth can they still hate? Ultimatly do humans have the choice to pursue hate or love?

Your distintion of passion and emotion is interesting I will reflect upon it. It may be usefull

That didn't awnser my question? You said evil is to live out side harmony but can one choose the way of hate/passion

Normally I do, but the posters here are generally so hung up on logic, that while here, I give dictionary meanings of words so they can understand.

I would agree, I really don't want to debate with a book that has been demmemed infalible. Since i belive only the truth is infalible, what ever it may be(cause i have know clue)

...transcend the mundane, in the form of literary works, poetry and song

I kind lean towards the idea that they put alot more then words into there works for that.

Like I know anything else, through faith, curiosity, study, association with devotees, hearing devotees, chanting the names of God, experience, observation, fulfilled prophecy, deduction, further study, humility, and so on.

I am not trying to discredit any of what you do our believe, but I find it very curious for myself. My knowledge of the universe is so extremly limited whether it be spiritual or intellectual. I really don't believe the ultimate truth is so easily attainable in such limited forms. For me I have allways found that "Know nothing has helped me grow"

See yeah in 2 weeks have fun!!!!

8. ... Registered Member

full awareness would give you the ability to see the neutrality of all things,to cast off your animal instincts,as animals when we look at a lush forest we call it beautiful,and when looking at a smoldering pile of rubble call it death and destruction,someone fully aware however is able to see the beauty and complex wonder that is all things,not only living things
    as animals we are programmed to favor fertility,the only exceptions are those people who have chemical imbalances or psychological mindsets created from deprivation/mistreatement and so on,yet one who becomes fully aware becomes in control of his/her own thought pattern,the biological program no longer has control,this of course only being theory
    but whos to say there is not many more forces at work,who is to say we have control or free will at all,if our brain is needed for thought,and its inner workings are of this world,as they can be manipulated by physical things,then why,or how,could they be random at all

9. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

First you say that someone who is aware sees that all things are neutral. Then you say that someone who is aware sees the beauty of things.

Beauty is not a neutral concept.

10. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Truth

When you become enlightened you realize that everything matters because nothing matters. All things are everything yet nothing. You are because you are not because you are. God or whichever name you choose to call IT, is everything. There is no good or bad, there is only good so that you can have bad. Only light so you can have dark.

11. ... Registered Member

i suppose neutrality was the wrong word then

Last edited: Sep 18, 2002
  12. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Awake: if there is no logic in being aware, is it at all possible to discuss awareness?

...: then what is the right word?

13. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Anything is truly possible because nothing really matters yet everything matters to bring you to enlightenment. You are and can do anything that you choose to do. I know this all sounds esoteric but in the realities of reality, you realize that the relationship between everything is just there to bring you to an awakening that the relationship is illusion. Once you have that "realization", it is like an epiphany: "Oh! Now I get it!!"

So technically there is no "right" word or "wrong" word, because that is a relationship, a concept that we in our illusion put on a word. The choice would therefore be one of which word would serve us in this situation. Logic-sound reasoning, according to Webster's. When there is that awareness, enlightenment or understanding, the reasoning is sound because it is ultimate truth. Truth-the real state of things: Fact, again according to Webster's, is undeniable.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2002
  14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

15. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Also in response to Empty Dragon: Of course most of us have felt hate or various levels of it, unless we choose not to. There are times when someone says something or does something that we may "judge" as hateful on one day, then on another day we "judge" it as less hateful or not even hateful at all. What is the difference one day to the other? I'll tell you, the difference is our choice of how we "judge" it. Once we realize that it is our choice of perspective of how someone is treating us, then we will conciously choose to not let it affect us in a negative way, unless we don't. It is our "free-will". We can choose all of the things we desire or don't desire in life.

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

17. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

For me I have allways found that "Know nothing has helped me grow"

That doesn't make any sense. Please elaborate.-Jan

I do not know all and since i am not omnipotent, my views are envitably flawed and if they trully are correct I would have now way to be certain. So I continue to search with the assumtion of zero knowledge. Ican think clearer when Idon't have a bunch of crap runing thru my head. I cannot say I know anything untill I know the truth.

About the hole hate think its just a theoritical descusion, and i phrased the question wrong.

Could one draw Qi(chi) from hatred (transform the negative emotion into Qi) and If you where to transform it would you still experience the emotionl thoughts that come with it?

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Centaurus1

No. Awarenes brings peace to your heart. It's like if you were living at night without seeing anything, and when the sun comes and shine you can see that you live in a beautiful world...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Thought this might be of interest ...

How to Cultivate Awareness

There is no Dharma without cultivating awareness. If there is no
    awareness when the mind comes in contact with the phenomena,
    there will be no turning (to the Void); if there is no turning (to the
    Void), there will be no (realization of the) Void (of all phenomena);
    if there is no (realization of the) Void, there will be no concentration;
    and if there is no concentration, there will be no wisdom. How habits
    may be eliminated by awareness may be seen in the following
    stages of its progressive development:

1. When awareness comes after thought, it is necessary to
    do one's utmost to arouse awareness as soon as possible;

2. Even though it comes after the arising of the thought,
    however, awareness must not be evoked by force;

3. Though there may be awareness as soon as thought arises,
    it is possible that in sequence of time, either one may be a little
    ahead of the other;

4. Awareness begins simultaneously with the thought;

5. Awareness is before the arising of the thought, but sometimes
    there may be no awareness at all;

6. Awareness is always before thought-arising and is concerned
    with nothing but itself (awareness) (the above deals with the
    practice of awareness);

7. One should keep oneself in awareness but without being
    conscious of it. On perceiving the reality of phenomena, one is
    fundamentally free;

8. Awareness at this stage of development is always still and
    radiant. To check up the development of our awareness, let us
    ask ourselves "To which of these stages are we progressing
    now?"

Source:
    Buddhism in a Nutshell

See also:
    Buddhist Door

20. axonio98 Banned Banned

What is Awareness? I don't get it. If i see a very beautiful woman and ignore all the others, am i aware? Do i have to notice everything to be aware? That's not my nature people. What's the utility of being aware? It seems to me a perfect waste of mental energy?

21. axonio98 Banned Banned

Somebody once said that looking at everything and at nothing is the same thing.

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

axonio98,

A man is walking in the dark. He doesn't see a hole in the ground, he falls and get killed. If he was aware of the hole, he would be alive.

Another example. A child is in the darkness. He doesn't know what is there. He fears it. He runs away.

Another... A dark place. You are hungry. There is a table full of food in front of you and you can't see. You die of starvation.

Now, how important do you think it is to be aware?

23. axonio98 Banned Banned

I´m not talking about one hole in the dark. I'm talking about all holes in the dark (especially the good ones

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

); a buda kind of awareness or enligthment. I think this is what's being argued here.