[BBC] How Art Made the World

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Avatar, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I just saw one of the greatest pop sci films ever made, and I've seen lots and lots of those.
    And that is the reason why I wish to suggest the sci folk to see it too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/howart/
    http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/bbcdvd1683&bklist=<venda_bklist1>

[BBC] How Art Made the World
    Information

Embark on a thrilling journey through time and five continents to the heart of creativity. Fusing social history, politics, science, nature, archaeology and religion, this international landmark series unravels a universal mystery - why the world around us looks like it does. Modern-day mysteries are answered by journeying back to the beginning of civilisation via some of the most amazing man-made creations in the world.

A strong narrative thread drives through each film as exciting scientific demonstrations reveal how our minds, and those of our ancient ancestors, relate to art. Beautiful, surprising, compelling and above all, relevant, with a visual ambition worthy of its epic subject-matter, this awe-inspiring adventure will appeal not only to art lovers, but to anyone who has ever wondered about humanity's place in the world.

Programme One - More Human Than Human...
    One image dominates our contemporary world above all others: the human body. How Art Made the World travels from the modern world of advertising to the temples of classical Greece and the tombs of ancient Egypt to solve the mystery of why humans surround themselves with images of the body that are so unrealistic.

Programme Two - The Day Pictures Were Born
    The discovery of prehistoric cave paintings in the last century led to the shocking realisation that humans have been creating art for over 30,000 years. Episode two reveals how the very first pictures ever made were created, and how images may have triggered the greatest change in human history.

Programme Three - The Art of Persuasion
    The visual devices used by Tony Blair and George Bush to get themselves elected and maintain power, come not from modern times, but a world that is thousands of years old. How Art Made the World ventures back to the creation of Stonehenge and the reign of Alexander the Great to reveal how imagery became an indispensable weapon in every leader\'s political armoury.

Programme Four - Once Upon a Time
    Each year over seven billion people across the world are drawn to see the latest feature films in the cinema. This episode reveals how the most powerful storytelling medium ever created exploits visual techniques invented by artists in the ancient world.

Programme Five - To Death and Back
    Today in the 21st Century people see fewer real dead bodies than at any time in history. Yet in the modern world we seem almost obsessed with images of death. In an investigation encompassing ancient Jericho, Aztec America, and classical Italy, How Art Made the World discovers what it is that has compelled human beings to surround themselves with images of death for thousands of years.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Man. I was going to tape those... they came on my local PBS station on days I was at work. I *did* catch the three-part Lost Cities series, that was enjoyable.

I wish BBC had more shows that made it to the states. They seem to have more real programming than the pseudo-documentaries we get stuck with here in the states.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like BBC documentaries a lot better than those of Discovery and PBS,
    BBC's are more serious and tend to not tell the already obvious, you can actually learn something from them. Of course one still has to remain critical.

Anyway, I get my BBC docs from here: mvgroup.org, since I don't have most BBC channels in my country.
    You have to register to browse that site. It's a british website dedicated to sharing documentaries of all kinds, especially the BBC ones.
    It has 'How art made the world' too, but please buy the dvd (I'm addressing all readers) if you wish to support the work those people do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Destroyer Banned Banned

I liked the series, especially The Art of Persuasion, and the Roman Empire.

The BBC sets the best tone for documentaries.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My favourite is the second one, about the theory on how the first 2d pictures appeared.

p.s. I think they are more popular science and less documentary, by definition.

9. If you liked that one, keep an eye out for a series called Ring of Fire - It's a geologists view of how geology has shaped mankind and human development and civilisation. Art, History, the works. An odd tack to take but actually very well thought out and presented.

Yes. These BBC series are a trifle "popular entertainment", but generally all round informative for everyone. Check out shows such as Horizon also. Very well put together films, always worth a watch.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thanks for suggesting Ring of Fire, will keep an eye for it.
    I know Horizon, very good films indeed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!