BBC documentary on the world's first computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

A good show.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I do not believe it for one second that britain made the first computer.

What i have learned in life is the truth never gets told to the public. If germany really wanted to attack uk in ww2 then why so little bombing in london, and they never would touch alot of areas. Does not sound like a real war to me. I do not believe for one second the rubbish britain comes out with.

uk, usa and germany were in it altogether, and you can be sure they were after the war too.

I would not believe anything like this, at some level at the top they are in it altogether.

Oh look the bbc which is uk military intel media group promote the idea that uk did this and that. Yep i will believe it. not

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

London is not all of the UK. London did not escape bombing with over one million homes damaged or destroyed. Other cities had a higher density of strategic targets. Targeting civilians was regarded as a breach of the rules of war in 1940. Germany was stretching its technological limits to bomb UK cities in the first place. And the math to identify actually vital transportation hubs was an Allied innovation, so the German command was reduced to just guessing which targets were most appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Thank you, rpenner, that was an accurate description of the vast majority of The Blitz.

Andy won't believe you though, due primarily to his HEAVY delusions. He still believe both the U.S. and the U.K. have huge underground bases from which they exert mind control over the populations and other devious practices. I could go on and on - but in short he's just plain nuts. (Oh, and he still hasn't answered my question as to why he's so special that they singled HIM out for observation and special treatment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually, I don't expect one.)

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

you are out of your ever lovin' mind.
    germany made very dastardly bombing raids on london.
    some took advantage of low tides to make fire fighting harder.
    seriously dude, you need a refresher somewhere.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There were "Computation Engines" prior to WWII, You only have to look to say IBM's history to see it was incorporated in 1911 as the Computing- Tabulating- Recording Company (C-T-R), prior to that there was obviously Charles Babbage while being known for machines that weren't necessarily built (Difference Engine) was lesser known for those that were prototyped (Analytical Engine).

There is then some rather questionable clockwork devices meant for astronomical observations which occurred over a thousand years previous Antikythera_mechanism

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I think the keyword was programmable. The Colossus was porgrammable, no other machine before it was like that. That's what makes it the first computer...

13. Huynh Phu Dat Registered Member

It's look like a mainframe .