Battlestar Galactica: Season 4

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Jan 13, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

ALSO-- I love that Saul Tigh never stopped being "essentially" human. He was willing to die, without reservation or malice, for humanity.

I remember hating his character from day one. He's now one of my favorites. He has the most facets of all of them and I love the fact that no matter what his programming is, he has consciously chosen to be who he wants to be.

I'm sure we'll see a similar thing in Tyrol and possibly Anders. As far as Tory goes, she's definitely shed her humanity.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I said from day one that Tory would jump ship at her first opportunity. Who knew I'd be literally correct! If the president's original aide were still around (Billy? The guy who was killed) and he was meant to be a Cylon, I can't see him betraying humanity so easily.

Anders will also stay loyal, I'm not so sure about the Chief.

That whole scene with Tigh and Adama was incredible. Imagine finding out your best friend, a guy you've been to war with, a guy you've known for DECADES, is a machine. It's funny how Adama made all the same arguments us fans did when it was revealed that Tigh was a Cylon (maybe there was some implant, you used to have hair, etc).

I was thinking they could have used a different strategy. Like sending Tigh over to the Cylon base ship with a nuke on his ship, then threaten to blow it up if the hostages aren't released.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Madanthonywayne:

I know. It would be DEVESATING. Everything you hate your friend is. How can that even be?

And yep, exactly: He made the same arguments.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Madanthonywayne:

Cylon Civil War. They're still out there and coming.

If given enough time, they'll make the resurrection hub again. There are billions of Cylons.

8. superstring01 Moderator

I still like Torre for some reason. I can't put my finger on it.

I agree. How about this: Since Tigh was so loyal to humanity, why didn't they just put him on the horn to D'Anna and have him tell D'Anna that he'd space himself if she didn't stand down.

Though, I did love the scene where D'Anna came to Galactica and said just moments after arriving, "I've been in contact with the final five and I've let them know that their family loves and awaits them."

I think it will be interesting to see how the final five got themselves mixed into society. I cannot believe that they didn't do so in-vitro. Perhaps they have the ability to "reincarnate" Themselves through more natural processes!

Note: I'm still betting on the final cylon being Dr. Cottle.

~String

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Isn't her name Diana? Not D'anna?

10. superstring01 Moderator

It's "D'Anna."

~String

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's even worse than that. Think about all the men he's sent to their deaths to defeat the evil Cylons. All along, the man fighting there with him was himself a Cylon! WTF!

What do all those billions of deaths mean now? What is right? What is wrong? How can the Cylons be the embodiment of evil when the human he trusted above all others was actually a Cylon the whole frackin time?

How do you go forward when the foundations of your trust in humanity have been shattered like that? When everything you thought you knew was wrong.

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

OK, so, I have to admit, the ending confused me.

Why was everyone so stunned?

What were they expecting to find???

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

A verdant planet ripe for cultivation. A promised land.

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

MadAnthonyWayne:

If men could be killed by emotional turmoil, that man would be killed by such. That's a fucking cannon shot to the chest.

15. superstring01 Moderator

From Battlestar Wiki:
    ~String

16. superstring01 Moderator

Since we know that the final Cylons can reproduce and more than likely have been with humanity since the days of Cobol, it's likely that they are able to pass their consciousness through human mating onto one of their offspring. If this were true, then it is also possible that one of the "newborns" is the final Cylon. This also is important since there is a lot revolving around Hera and her importance to humanity. Perhaps the final Cylon is her. Just as importantly, since Tyrol is a "final Cylon" and if they are able to pass on something of the "final five" to their offspring, then it stands to reason that his son could also be the final Cylon. This would also explain why the final Cylon, if an infant, couldn't react to the activating tune that the rest of them heard.

~String

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

An interesting idea, but to my way of thinking, the final Cylon is the one directing these events. He's the one that activated the other 4 Cylons. The one who directed them to the viper that pointed the way to "earth". The one who's been manipulating events for millennia.

I suppose that the alternative hypothesis is that the Cylons have an unconcious knowledge that guides them. But the way events have played out suggests a much more conscious level of planning (all Cylon models present on the one ship that manages to escape the attack, Cylons present in key positions within the human fleet, etc).

18. superstring01 Moderator

D'Anna referred to the final Cylon as a "she".

~String

19. Psi Phi Registered Member

Only 4 in the fleet.

I’m surprised no on has mentioned this, but D'Anna also said that there were only 4 in the fleet. Perhaps we haven't actually seen the final one? Or perhaps he was on the Cylon base ship when she stated that. If so, perhaps Baltar really is the last one to be revealed.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here are the odds of various characters being the final cylon according to an online betting site:
    Costa Rica-based betting site BetCRIS.com recently placed odds on its site concerning the final Cylon's possible identity. The most likely contender, according to the gambling site? Anastasia Dualla

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(played by Kandyse McClure, pictured), at 4-5 odds.

Get the full odds for BetCRIS's Battlestar Galactica field after the jump:

* Aaron Kelly: 5-4
    * Diana "Hardball" Seelix: 33-20
    * Tom Zarek: 23-20
    * Anastasia Dualla: 4-5
    * Felix Gaeta: 3-2
    * Brendan "Hot Dog" Costanza: 2-1
    * Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson: 9-4
    * The field (any other character): 2-7

(These are the odds given to us by BetCRIS's operators; if you go to the site and check under the Entertainment heading, you'll see only the money line for placing a Cylon bet.)
    http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/betting-site-la.html
    I must admit, I'm not even sure who all those characters are!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  21. Psi Phi Registered Member

D'Anna said there were only 4 in the fleet. So, that means that Gaeta, Dualla, Doc Cottle, or anyone else left in the fleet are not Cylons. Of course this assumes she wasn't lying for some reason.

The only logical explinations are that either the final cylon was on the base star when she said that and so was no longer in the fleet, the final cylon is someone not introduced and not in the fleet, or the final cylon is already dead.

Since it isn't likely D'Anna has memorized everyone in the entire fleet to know that the final cylon isn't there, it means he/she was likely on the base star or dead. Given the anti-climactic result of an already dead final five, I'd guess they were on the base star.

Since the Hybrid did say (according to the wiki quote above) "...the fifth is still is in shadow, drawn toward the light, hungering for redemption, that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering.", would lead you to think it is Baltar. Unfortunately, this doesn't mesh well with the "Last Supper" picture. Still, it could be he is. Helo was on the Base Star as well. Contrary to popular belief, he is not a minor character. It would also be significant that he and Athena were the first cyclons to make a child together. He is also closest to Adama in the picture (might be significant later).

If I had to guess, I'd say either Baltar, Or Helo.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I thought she said something to that effect, but that it was more ambiguous. Do you remember her exact words?

23. Psi Phi Registered Member

don't recall the exact phrase used, but she was basically correcting Roslin when she said it.