Battlestar Galactica: Season 4

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Psi Phi Registered Member

Love this show!

Can't wait to see it tonight. =)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

OKAY NOW I GET IT!

Why didn't I (also: we) get it before?

It's so fracking obvious now. The destruction of the resurrection hub** makes all the cylons human. Now that they are human they will need humanity to carry on. Duh.

Loved seeing D'anna kill Cavil. That was just so cathartic!

Overall, this episode was top notch!

**Are there no more smaller resurrection ships out there? I mean, if there are, then they can carry on. Isn't there a cylon world? Was the entire cylon civilization floating around in space? If so, where did they build their ships and where were the shipyards at? They had to set-up shop in a system somewhere. This particular facet doesn't pass the smell test.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So now the "hub' has been destroyed. Apparently, the destruction of this one piece of equipment has rendered all Cylons everywhere mortal? Seems a pretty poor design, if you ask me. Regardless, I'd say the likelyhood of the remaining humans and cylons merging just increased greatly since they're now on more of an even playing field.

And what about Balter, egging on the toaster? He's liable to turn this into a three way Cylon civil war! Maybe we'll end up with the humanform cylons teaming up with the real humans against the toasters?

I couldn't believe Baltar confessed his role in the Cylon attack to the president. And then she forgave him? Because of her vision? He's responsible for the death of billions and she just lets that go?

And a nice call by String regarding Roselyn not being the final Cylon.

Can't wait for next week's show.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think the "hub" is different from the resurrection ships. It's kind of like a router. In the same way my laptop won't work without the router, neither will the various resurrection ships.

8. superstring01 Moderator

That's right. See the amazing fortune teller here! Come all of yee and have your futures layed out before you eyes...

or... um... I'll just guess and hopefully I'll be right every now and then.

I see the logic. I, like you, am not buying it. I mean, we're talking about a race of billions of sentient entities that were able to go from toasters to full-on skin jobs. They went on to build an empire and exterminate billions of people on twelve worlds. Not buying it. They would have a system somewhere and more than one hub. But hey, that's just me.

~String

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Who knows, maybe the Cylon fleet that attacked the 12 colonies doesn't even know where the home world is. They may have erased all knowledge of their home world from the invasion fleet in case the war didn't go as expected. This would prevent a human counter attack. Then, in a few years, they send some scouts out to see how things went.

That would also explain why these Cylons believe the destruction of their "hub" means no more resurrections. As far as they know, it does. Meanwhile, things could be proceeding normally back on the Cylon home world.

Just a thought.

10. superstring01 Moderator

Sorta down-plays the significance of all the cylons acting like the destruction of the hub is the second apacolypse, doesn't it?

~String

11. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I was also thinking that the destruction of the hub was stupid. Granted I can buy that they are now mortal, but perhaps a strategic withdrawal of their still robust fleet is in order until such time as they can build a new resurrection hub. They did it before (apparently) and they can do it again.

The humans can be tailed by some smaller portion of their fleet until that's done. Even if it takes decades...so what? If it took me a few decades to reinitialize immortality for my massive army to fight against the pitiful, mortal, remnants of my enemies, you wouldn't hear me complaining.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

That was an awesome sequence that, if nothing else, suggests something about the depth of his insanity. The bit about the dog, for instance, makes that point. He wasn't talking about the practice of dog-shows in general, but a dog. It was a curious contextual elevation.

One thing he did, though, was instill the fear of God into the centurion shortly before it perished.

The hybrid adds a dimension of mystery to this: The Six is in the stream. Was the time between that one centurion's death and the destruction of the Hub enough for Baltar's message to enter the stream? Is that information in the rebel base star's databanks? Will it filter out to other Cylons in any way? Has Baltar thus provided a new context for the centurions and raiders to view the attempted lobotomization by Cavil's faction?

I don't know if she has simply let that go. It appears it will be a couple episodes before we find that answer. I could not resist looking up the next episode on the Wiki—I've been waiting for something we saw in the preview, Tigh's confession. The only information on the next episode was a synopsis spoiler that suggests the President will have her hands full, and Lee's term extended for a short while.

But the question of renouncing her decision to let Baltar die has to do with something far deeper than the moment. In its context, she has made the right decision. On Earth, we encounter the proposition that how we treat our most despised influences the definition of our civilization. Thus, the Nuremberg defendants had legal representation, and in the modern day we have figures like Jacques Verges, who defends some of humanity's most notorious. Indeed, Baltar stood trial and was acquitted by the rule of law, but this transgression was not among the accusations:

We can safely presume that Roslin is not finished with this. Although it will be interesting to see whether the writers attempt to insert a principle of confidentiality. Other science fiction and fantasy writers (Steven Brust, in Athyra comes to mind) invoke this principle, even among people who are not specifically doctors, for exactly this purpose. But we must bear in mind Pandaemoni's note that I might be giving the writers too much credit in general.

• • •​

A couple of questions:

• What is Boomer's status?
    • What is the status of Cavil's faction? Can we presume that theirs was among the base stars destroyed when the Hub went?​

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

But consider your idea in the context of my earlier statement regarding the invasion fleet. They may not know the location of their homeworld! Furthermore, they might not have the knowledge to reproduce the "hub" on their own. They may, therefore, have no choice but to pursue the humans until final victory is achieved, or until they're all dead.

Like the AI's in The Matrix, these Cylons (even the skin jobs) are machines. They can only think within the context of their programing. Strategic retreat and regrouping may simply not be an option.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Excellent points. I've generally assumed Baltar's actions to have one unifying principle. Specifically, to increase the chances of him living another day, and maybe to get him laid. But standing there egging on a heavily armed centurion seemed quite counter to those goals.

As you mentioned, it may well serve to further weaken the Cylons, but to take such a risk for that purpose just doesn't fit with Baltar's personality. I think he really believes his own "Cylon god" bullshit and sees it as his mision to convert the oppressed masses. Be they human, skinjob, or toaster.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If you can build an artificial human, their skill is advanced enough to encode the plans for all their technology in every Cylon. Information doesn't take alot of space. It's just a temporary strategic advantage.

16. superstring01 Moderator

Remember when I said that the cylons and humans would be "thrust together" for a reason as yet unexplained? Let's face it, at this point getting to Earth seems pretty run of the mill now! There needs to be something else, right? I'm beginning to think that that thing is going to be a new common enemy: the cylon raiders and centurions. And as if to drive this point home just a teeny-tiny bit: the skinjobs had to actually pilot ships ON THEIR OWN without using the raiders, who were taken offline (a small taste of some forsight into future events-- wouldn't do just having skinjobs suddenly introduced as top notch pilots-- now you've planted the seed in all our heads that they can fight, in colonial raiders along side human pilots and whatnot... if need be). What happens when the raiders and centurions join forces to eliminate all humans and cylons. "All this has happened before and will happen again," Is the quote from the webisode. What if it is very cyclical in that it happened eons ago where the "final five" were created (destruction of Earth?) and happened again 50 years ago (first cylon war), happened again 4 years ago (destruction of the colonies) and just right down the road (awakening of the raiders and centurions)? What would humans and cylons do if the centurions made common enemy with them? I bet they'd come together quite comfortably! Especially so, since the skinjobs are now totally mortal!

The skinjob cylons will make his fate a matter of their cooperation. D'Anna and Six love him. No way they'd just go along with whatever humans do to him. Moreover, I truly believe that Roslin is beginning to see the past as something that must be left behind, overcome and forgiven. I think she realizes that for all his total insanity, he never intended for humanity to be utterly annihilated.

~String

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm not arguing that they left out information due to lack of space, but rather as a matter of security. The invasion force was probably programed only with the info they needed to attack the humans.
    Good points. I think you're on the right track, here. But I imagine it will be the humans and a few cylon skin jobs in the end. Probably one or so of each of the types that aligned with the humans in the attack on the hub as well as one or two of the final five.

They make it to earth and the surviving Cylons become a "new" final five ready to play their part in the next cycle. Until then, they'll assume lives as normal humans. Totally forgeting their Cylon heritage, just like our current final five.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  18. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Anyone else pissed that this Friday is going to be the "midseason finale"?

If I have to wait till 2009, I am going to fucking protest SciFi Channel.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Start complaining, then

I'm expecting 4.5 to occur in 2009. Word before the strike was that WGA labor action would delay the second bloc until next year, and smack amid the strike, reports said that eleven episodes had been filmed, and the remaining nine would hopefully start production in March.

So I'm of the opinion that we should expect to sit tight until next year, even to the point that I will be worried if they hit us with the second half before then. Especially considering that this is an election year. They're not going to fight with the World Series, not going to fight with the election, and they're not going to compete with Christmas. I would appreciate it if they threw us a two-hour movie somewhere in there, but I'm not holding my breath. And, frankly, expecting an Obama victory in November, there's going to be so many special features coming from the news media all the way through January that we might have to wait until after Valentine's Day for the 4.5 premiere.

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

"You're just a slave.... a dog/" It's cute how the cylon looks at him askew.

Great ep, but took em long enough.

21. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Tiassa:

You will then see me starring in Incredible Hulk IIII.

Because seriously, I will turn green, my pants purple, and SciFi channelw ill be destroyed.

I expect no later than August for a return of the show. I am NOT waiting a fucking YEAR after waiting a year and a half for 10 lousy fucking episodes!

9 episodes = NOT A SEASON.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

WHAT!!!!!! Son of a bitch, no good, ................fuck. That's the first I've heard of that.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Then get green

Ain't gonna happen. That much I'm sure of. March-August isn't enough time for a show of this scale.