Battlestar Galactica: Season 4

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Jan 13, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Agreed. But, don't forget, they are robots. Couldn't the location and the very existence of a Cylon home world have been wiped from the memories of the attack force? It would seem to be a prudent measure to prevent a human counter-attack. There could be a Cylon home world with resurrections going on as normal right now and the attack force may simply not know about it.
    Another reasonable possibility.
    Destroying the Cylon home world would have been emotionally satisfying, that's for sure. Who knows, maybe that will happen in 2009? The possible resumption of the "Cold War" in real life would make a little mutually assured destruction all the more poignant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I think there's one very good reason they didn't nuke the cylon home world. They don't have enough Nukes.

Galactica has less then half a dozen

rebel baseship doesn't seem to be all that well fitted out at this point either...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

That rebel baseship could have shown them a cylon version of the ragnar station and how to move their undetected. There could have worked it in.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but BSG isn't about all out war. As Roslyn kept saying in the first episode, "The war's over. We lost."

Although I doubt she's resigned considering she was about commit genocide on the cylons.

8. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

So wait, correct me if I am wrong but...

For season 4 we got 10 episodes that already came out...

mid-season ends when they find earth.

Then we get the last 10-11 episodes in early 09

+ a 2 hour movie after the season ends according to wiki...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yup, and then Caprica, the spinoff series. And some of the last episodes of season 4 might be 'longer than normal', with the finale possibly being up to 4 hours according to Ron Moore.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

a beginning and a end miniserie I like the ID

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I wonder if what was said in Razor is going to ever come true.

"Kara Thrace is the Harbringer of Doom"..

The nuke scene was nice though.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Where do they go from here?

Spoiler Warning: This post contains minor spoiler information; it's not much to go on, but if you want to hit the second half blind, stop reading now.

The question facing us at this point is, Where do they go from here?

I'm not sure what to make of co-executive producer Michael Taylor's comments that Season 4 will be the gayest show on television, including gay Centurions and daggits. Call it an evasion. Or call it stoned. It's funny though.

The only clue I've found so far is from Edward James Olmos, who said of Season 4, "It's ugly. It's not a happy ending. The final season is not a way of resolving anything. Happy would be tying things in a nice bow. There are no bows being tied."

And, of course, it has been ugly, although probably not quite the way he meant. The midseason finale standoff threatening to pitch Col. Tigh into space proved one of the most dramatic conflicts I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was bookended by a nine-episode clumsy setup and a compressed dash to the break. Ideally, it should have been an episode unto itself, examining character response to the potential end of their journey, and then leaving off to delve into disappointment and mourning in the second half. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Nonetheless, we do have a point for considering the last part of the story. Where do they go? How radioactive, exactly, is the planet? After all, during the Cold War, we were told that you could simply scrape off between four and twelve inches of irradiated soil and find clean earth beneath. This probably did not account for natural cycles over the years, such as radioactive particles being carried deeper, into the groundwater, by rainfall and runoff. It spoke nothing of the state of oceans, lakes, and rivers. But the question remains: They could stand on the surface without protection, handle the soil with bare hands. The geiger counter wasn't pitching an insane fit. We can presume that scans taken from orbit did not describe the surface as lethal, else they would not have ventured down.

Can they attempt to rebuild human society on Earth?

And what does the state of the planet mean? This has all happened before: are the Colonials descendants of Earth? Did they venture out into space, spend thousands of years in their new system, flee Kobol, forget their own history until it became nothing more than a religious myth? In other words, has Adama led humanity home only to find that you can't go home again? And if not here, where?

Thus, should they set out in another direction? Will they follow rumors of the final Cylon? Perhaps that one holds the key to where humanity and Cylons can, together, build a new life together?

But, of course, that would tie things up in a neat little package, and Olmos seems to suggest otherwise. Will the humans be defeated in a final battle? Will they starve to death and decay among the stars? Will they be swallowed into the history of the Earth, coming home if only to lie down for extinction?

The first new episode features a scene between Leoban and Thrace. Why this detail was leaked

We are not utterly devoid of clues. The four Galactica-based Cylons (Tigh, Anders, Tyrol, Foster) are officially known as the "Watchtower Four", referring of course to the Dylan song, but also making some hint of their role in future episodes.

The episode titles are now known:

Warning: Minor spoiler information below; highlight to read.

Sometimes a Great Notion — Title from blues song "Goodnight Irene" and Ken Kesey novel; features "scenes between Kara Thrace and Leoban Conroy set in a forest"; this episode could have served as a series finale if WGA strike had forced cancellation of the project; there is nonsepecific plot spoiler information available at Battlestar Wiki.
    A Disquiet Follows My Soul — (no relevant information)
    The Oath — (no relevant information)
    Blood on the Scales — (no relevant information)
    No Exit — Title from 1944 play by Sartre about three people trapped in Hell that ends with the line, "Hell is other people!"; nonspecific plot spoiler information available at Battlestar Wiki; Laura Roslyn appears on a call sheet for this episode.
    Deadlock — (no relevant information)
    Someone to Watch Over Me — (no relevant information); title may refer to Gershwin song that has become a standard recorded by performers including Frank Sinatra, Herb Alpert, Sara Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Dusty Springfield, Donna Summer ... the list goes on—the lyrics seem suitable for BSG interpretation.
    Islanded in a Stream of Stars — Title from a line in Henry Beston's novel The Outermost House; Felix Gaeta appears in this episode.
    Daybreak, Part I — (no relevant information)
    Daybreak, Part II — Nonspecific plot spoiler information available at Battlestar Wiki.

It's not much to go on, but the line from Beston is gorgeous enough that I'm going to read the novel: "For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars — pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time."

At any rate, let the speculation begin. It's probably more entertaining than thinking about the election.

A note for "Daybreak, Part II" states that, "Regardless of the length of the aired episode (the season finale is planned to run 3 hours, split among two or possibly three episodes), an even longer cut will later be released on DVD."

(Okay, that's hilarious what happened with the links.)

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Not long now. I'm getting excited to see how this all plays out. Tiassa has me concerned these last episodes are going to suck. I seem to recall that the reason the series was ending so soon was that the authors had a certain story to tell and felt it would be a waste to stretch it out beyond what was needed to tell that story. Well, that implies there should be some kind of satisfying ending, doesn't it? Oh well. We'll find out soon.

PS I just watched the first webisode. There are ten parts and they come out every few days between now and the new season. Check it out:
    http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Er ... um ....

How about that hanging sentence fragment? I have some idea of what that was supposed to be. Why this detail was leaked is beyond me.

Anyway—

—That's what I'm hoping. However ....

Thanks for reminding us it's there.

To the other, I'm not sure what I just saw.

Then again, I suppose it explains something I've noted in the past. But I still don't know what it means.

15. superstring01 Moderator

Holy Shite... Felix Gaeta is gay: Webisode.

I'm actually... impressed. That's a sizable risk considering that this show's core audience is composed mostly of boys and men.

~String

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm so surprised.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

What the hell is/was going on between Gaeta and the Boomer cylon?

18. superstring01 Moderator

Some kinda' conspiracy. Maybe he's the last one of the Final Five.

~String

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Gaeta as the final cylon? I don't think so. In Webisode four (spoiler) it looked like he was trying to find somebody (the guy he kissed?) while back on New Captirca and the Boomer Cylon helped him with this. But it also seemed like there was some sort of bond between them. Maybe Gaeta is bi? Or maybe Boomer is just sweet on him. Anyway, why would a way home need to wait untl everyone else was asleep? Unless the plan was to kill them all to stretch out the O2 supply.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Face of what enemy?

Spoiler Information: Highlight to read

Well, sir, it turns out you're prophetic. Well, okay, not quite. There are only so many things you can do with a plot like that. Still, though, good call.

• • •​

Perhaps this, too, is spoiler information, but the way the webisodes are developing leaves me wondering about the meaning of the title.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You Will Know The Truth

You Will Know The Truth

Or so they say. I'm late to this, but so is the discussion. You Will Know The Truth is the latest web addition to the Battlestar Galactica hype, a site devoted to giving out clues regarding the final ten episodes of the show, and the identity of the last Cylon. There are sixteen clues posted so far, in the form of video clips, text quotes, still shots, and audio playbacks. The final clue is due tomorrow.

A quick rundown of the clues available so far is posted at Battlestar Wiki, but a couple worth noting here:

• Quote: "You have heard my voice countless times, yet you do not know my name."
    • Video clip: Lee Adama answers the press regarding the fifth Cylon. The answer is edited out. (Anyone able to read lips?) The press corps goes nuts. Tom Zarek is angered.
    • Photograph: A fetus floating in smoke, its spine glowing red.
    • Photograph: The "Last Supper" image of the Battlestar cast, minus Laura Roslin.
    • Video clip: Adama demands a sidearm from a Marine, angrily enters a room. Scene goes black, and Adama says, "Sit down, Cylon."​

They've done a good enough job of obscuring the final Cylon, making obvious allusions to multiple suspects. Of course, it's a marketing ploy. Still, though, it's doing its job. I'm starting to itch for Friday to come 'round.

On another note, it's worth pointing out that Felix Gaeta allegedly survives until at least the seventh episode of the cycle. This is apparently derived from an interview published in May, during the filming of the eighth episode of the cycle. I make the point because it further confuses the context of the webisodes; for instance, wouldn't it be strange if the entire final run plays out over the course of six or nine or ten days in the Battlestar universe?

Anyway, the last webisode is due today. The last clue for "You Will Know The Truth" is due tomorrow. Have fun, and make sure to gather 'round the telly on Friday. Well, okay, you in Britain make sure to pirate the episode on Friday night/Saturday morning.

I'm almost sad, but this can't go on forever. It will be good to get this thing started. And it will be good to get it done.

22. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

At last the wait is over. New episode tonight :yay:

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Intreguing episode. So Starbuck did die and was resurrected, along with her ship. Yet we also have Tigh's vision which says his wife if the fifth Cylon. This suggests that there is an active resurrection hub of some sort on earth and that, perhaps, it works for humans too. Alternatively, there could be someone lurking around who resurrected Starbuck via cloning, gave her a new ship, and sent her on her way. If there is an active resurrection hub that works for humans, expect Apollo's wife to be resurrected.

Another interesting tidbit was Tigh's statement that "The 13th tribe, a tribe of Cylons, came to this planet and called it earth". This leaves open the possibility that the nuked planet is not the real earth, just a cylon replica based, perhaps, on the stories told in the religion of the humans.

I'm really starting to wonder if all "humans" aren't actually Cylons built, perhaps, by the humans on the original earth. This would explain why a resurrection hub on "earth" apparently worked for Starbuck. Perhaps the "humans" carry within their genes the information to ensure that at least one copy of each of the "final five" is born every generation.

PS I'm a bit confused about the webisodes. Did that stuff happen already? Or is it yet to come? It seems as if it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009