Battlestar Galactica: Best Show on TV

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Oct 21, 2006.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Just because they are not human doesn't mean you cannot rape them. You can rape any object around. They are not blow up sex dolls.

Assuming they are objects, what makes you think objects cannot be raped? Any object you can think of can be raped. Without regard to the show, raping inanimate objects is brain depleted behavior.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

You can't 'rape' a blow up doll. But the 'rape' is irrelevant to the discussion. Even if we are to accept that the skin jobs are individuals and sentient beings, by killing them all, the humans are, at most, killing only a few dozen 'people' since their all clones of the same machine. Even if there was a human progenitor that each of the clones are based on.

A war in which only a few individuals are killed is one that could hardly be referred to as 'genocide.'

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is relevant. It is about raping an inanimate object which is not and should not be part of any military protocol.

There are objects made specifically to be a weapon such as guns.
    There are objects made for other purposes, but might be used as a weapon such as all other objects.
    There are objects made specifically to be sex toys.
    Using an inanimate object as a sex toy is all good and fine. But as a group effort of in a military condition. No soldier should be ordered to rape anything. No soldier should be raping anything as part of normal procedures. No soldier should be raping anything as part of interrigation procedures.

There is no reason for them to be raping a living being. There is no reason for them to be raping a nonliving object. It's pathetic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

And, again, it was a plot device designed to invoke emotion. Looks like it worked.

8. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

As I understand it, there are multiple instances of a particular type around at any given moment. There may be a few dozen 6s, there may be a few hunderd. The storyline doesn't really tell how many skin jobs there are, as far as I know. It only gives us a number of the originals.

Each of these clones has the ability, given different experiences, to evolve an unique personality. Even more so for the ones that die, and download in a new body. Their personality doesn't stop evolving after their body fails, they wake up again and learn from the experience. I would speculate that they would drift more and more from the original.

We do have perfectly natural clones amongs ourselves: identical twins. We don't seem to be counting them as a single life, so why apply a different attitude with other sentient beings?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

And again plot device or no plot device, the objective facts without regard to emoption remain the same.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Frack!
    What happened? I went to check the website, and there were no downloads for #9.

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

There was no ep last night.

12. Thixotropic Registered Member

Daisy chain really! I thought it was a Token ring

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Something I thought they were going to do was to eventually show that the cylons (after the first war and after deep study of the human scripture) they had found the way to earth and had conquered it which would explain the whole
    one god thing. But itseems they are not going in that direction.

Unless they are saving it for a surprise planet of the apes series finale?

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

What does everyone think about Apollo and Starbuck having screwed before the occupation, even if they were involved with two other people?

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think that episode was sort of a waste. It didn't advance the story, just filled in some details.

The emotional connection between them has long been obvious, and their boxing match really amounted to foreplay. Starbuck's husband obviously saw this, causing him to storm out.

No doubt there will be more to this.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I think an interesting twist would be one of them getting killed or seriously injured, perhaps on a mission, from their spurned spouses.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps the spurned lover/lovers becoming a traiter and aiding the cylons?

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Call it "fleshing out the characters" - tho' in essence, I agree.

I didn't think this last episode was as much a waste as the one before, where the guy "escaped" from Cylon captivity. I mean, why would they have trusted him even one iota, given the circumstances ?

Incidental note:
    Laughed my arse off at Adama & Madam President hidin' out smokin' a fattie...

Adama:
    (contemplative pause)
    ...It's good...
    LoL

18. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I actually liked the black escapee episode, on the foundation that it affirmed something interesting about Adama, and itself was cool in that it brought Saul back from the brink. Although it is clear and evident Saul remains monsterously fucked up by the horrific experience he underwent on New Caprica.

But yes, this was definitely a character development episode. The main story was not progressed, but it was a good and interesting repose from the normal manner the show works on.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Gross.
    Why the hell are Starbuck and Apollo banging?

I agree that this episode did nothing for the story. It was a total waste. It was never even foreshadowed, so they introduced flashbacks.
    What a weak crappy way to put some drama into the show. The writers clearly have noting to write about, and so they give us this crap.

The episodes are getting worser and worser. This one was even worse than the black guy episode in which the black guy comes out of nowhere. Suddenly he was a Cylon prisoner all this time. Pathetic excuse for bad writing. Every episode up until the last few were had cliffhangers, and moved the episodes forward. The latest few episodes have done nothing to enhance the storyline. Just introduce some token.

20. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I completely disagree with just about everything you have said (politely, of course). The writing, in fact, is incredible and the acting is on par. There isn't a problem at all.
    If every single episode was about their fight with the cylons this show would not be one of the best shows on TV. In fact, it would have never made it to the 3rd season. It would be completely LAME. Instead its like a good science fiction masterpiece: it uses the science fiction aspect to create a world in which the best and worst of humanity can be displayed. And that is just why its the best drama on TV: Quite frankly, im less interested in if they will find Earth facing near certain destruction from the cylons and more interested in them destroying themselves before the cylons have a chance.

I think most people are so used to the unoriginal, shallow, eye candy of cinema and TV that they lose sight of what a good story is all about. Have you ever read a book that doesnt have intrigue through characters and only has vivid descriptions of explosions and battles and truly enjoyed it? It would be like reading a history book about WWII, except negating any personal character development ("A huge fireball engulfed the ship as it continued to fire. Many people died. But the island was taken. The End").

In fact, I think the last episode (boxing one) was absolutely fantastic! And even better when Adama got in the ring and said what was up. Thats a true leader.

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This has nothing to do with cheap eye candy. What is cheap is lack of development. There was nothing leading up to last episode. They clearly came up with these conflicts on the spur. A sudden romantic relationship out of nowhere between Starbuck and Apollo is not good writing. So is Adama all of a sudden getting upset at Chief for wanting to stay on New Caprica. WEAK and out of character. It was not that they were actually portraying well written conflicts. It was that they intentionally wanted to insert conflict when there was none before, and came up with lousy excuses for conflict. Garbo.

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lixluke:

Starbuck and Apollo were lovers throughout most of the TV series. Don't your remember the first and second season? I was actually shocked when she went off and married another dude, and he married the black woman.

23. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Dude, where have you been? There has been a relationship between Starbuck and Apollow as prince james has already mentioned. Have you even watched the first and second season?

Furthermore, Adama wasnt all of the sudden getting upset at Chief for wanting to stay on New Caprica... Speaking in the time period when they first got there, he did not want to let them off his ship because chief was too important. Speaking in the current time period when he gets in the ring: He does that to prove a point after Chief lets one of the crew watch the fight instead of repairing a fighter - the point being, dont get relaxed, we're still at war.

There was a shit load of development in all the episodes this season... There is no filler at all, thats whats so great about this show. Unlike Lost, where you run in circles all season, and learn absolutely nothing new. They keep people attached to that show by telling them the truth is coming, and never deliver. lol