Battlestar Galactica: Best Show on TV

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

madanthonywayne:

Yes. I totally want those mysteries to also be revealed. They are fascinating and I cannot wait until they delve into them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That's exactly why I get disappointed when an episode goes off on a tangent like the last couple. Character development is important, but I'd like just about every episode to advance the main story line at least a little.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Totally appreciable. Although we can't have all secrets divulged all at once.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Most definately not. To keep it interesting, they need layers of mysteries. Each new answer yielding additional questions.

8. Girlzilla Registered Member

I borrowed season 1 from my Dad and watched it all. Before this, I had been watching season 1 of HBO's Rome and it was a bit of a shell shock to see how bad Battlestar Galatica looked in terms of camera quality etc compared to Rome. And the dialogue was not very convincing and forced. It's only redeemable quality was that it was sci/fi.

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Lost.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

BSG is good, but I also really enjoy Rome.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

darksidZz,
    Don't you think a race of robots would make human looking agents to further their cause? It brings up all sorts of Philip Dick themes, which I really like. What does it really mean to be human?

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Nickelodeon:

Lost certainly has tons of mysteries, yes.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They totally stole from Minority Report, with the cylons that run the ships, and their stream of consciousness, living in baths...but I forgive them.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  14. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

i hope that was sarcastic spidergoat... if it was... hahahha.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Minority Report was originally a Philip Dick story. They borrow from the best.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So Baltar's a communist now? And people are actually reading his book and quoting from it!? Doesn't seem likely.

Do you think Adama would actually have shot Kali? He never shot Baltar, the man who could well be responsible for the extinction of the human race. But he's going to shoot Kali for doing what her husband told her to do?

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I think Baltar is trying to pull a Hitler and inspire people from behind bars. If he gets enough public support, he might be able to avoid execution or even imprisonment. As he is being given a civvie trial, this means no military tribunal...

Also, I doubt that Adama was going to shoot either the chief or his wife. It was a good bluff, though. And the president and him were smart enough to make some concessions to the fuel refinery.

That was truly an excellent episode in regards to tackling something which is NEVER dealt with in scifi: The shit jobs onboard a space-borne vessel.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Good point. You always picture robots doing all the scut work, or some such mechanical contrivance. By there are always shit jobs that need to be done.

19. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Baltar's trial should be interesting, Roslin gave a general pardon to the collaberators on New Caprica which should make for an interesting defense in his case. Odd that we haven't seen anything about Caprica Six, I assume she's still being held onboard Galactica.

20. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

The lack of robots and high-tech computers onboard Galactica almost reminds me of Dune. Do you think we'll see a similar anti-technology tirade following this struggle with the Cylons?

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

She was show briefly in captivity in the episode prior to the most recent.
    I found the scene where she was conversing with the "imaginary" Baltar she sees quite humorous. At one point, he kisses her, and just as their lips meet, the camera cuts away to the President and a few observers watching Six in her cell. As she tenderly smooches empty air, Madame Presidents asks - What do you suppose she's doing now ? and a brief debate ensues about what her peculiar conduct constitutes.
    Oddly enough, it was Baltar's conversations with his "imaginary" Six which got me hooked on watching the show. Once I heard her going on about the Cylons being "on a mission from God" I just hadda see what that was all about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As for Uncle Balty's sudden interest in "Space Marxism", I get the impression he'd appear to become a just about anything to save his hide or advance his cause - whatever it might be. I did think it odd, though, that people would suddenly see someone who seemed to be regarded as Public Enemy Number as an advocate for the oppressed masses.
    Also, did it seem weird that the Chief could just meander up to "Che Baltera's" cell and have a chat with him ? I mean - I know he's an officer & all, but wouldn't that be rather like any old GI strolling into Herman Göring's cell for an impromptu confab ? You'd think there's be some sort of protocol...

I too found it interesting to see the plot touching on some of the "nuts & bolts" aspects of the "ragtag fleet's" efforts to make its way thru the cosmos. Someone mentioned earlier - or perhaps in the "BSG stinks" thread - that their supply of consumables seemed to appear as if from nowhere. That made me think of the hearty appetite for booze being displayed by the military personel, and I wondered at whether or not such an apparently non-essential item would be produced in such profuse amounts in a situation where there had been acute food shortages...
    Maybe processing algae creates alcohol as a by-product.
    LoL

22. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Excellent episode.

I was wondering when they were going to get around to dealing with the societal implications of a mixed military and civilian fleet.

I must say, if I was the Chief in that cell when Adama was threatening to kill his wife, I would have taken that phone cord and used it to strangle the Admiral with it.

23. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Killjoy:

It seems that military officers and high-rank enlisted people have good access to POWS and other inmates. Saddam Hussein woudl chat it up with American G.I.s when he was still alive, according to an Esquire magazine article on his detention.