Battery chargers

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by tostig, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tostig Registered Senior Member

I can understand why most plug-in-the-wall battery chargers require two batteries to be in place. However, why can't solar chargers be designed so they have the ability to charge one battery at a time. As each solar cell don't put out a lot of voltage or current the battery holder in wired parallel would still be safe for the battery.

Am I correct?

In parallel, would it then be ok to put only one battery in a four-battery holder and leave the other three empty? Or would the current fed be too dangerous for the one battery?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It all depends on the best charging rate ( voltage and current) for the particular battery (cell) and the output of the charger which should be matched to the battery. Charging too quickly will usually cause severe damage to the battery.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

I have battery chargers that charge single baterries one or four in parallel. It all depends on the manufacturer. As to charging from a solar cell, that can be done depending on the battery you are charging. Alkaline batteries should be charged at 45 mA or if high charge is used, taper the charge. Duracell fast charge on NiMH used a high current in the beginning and taper charges. So, if you can make a contaption to do something like that...go for it. Do not overcharge as they can leak and make a mess.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.