Batman=Bush?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Jul 29, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've not seen the new Batman movie, but I hear good things. Today's Wall Street Journal has an article that makes an interesting comparision between Batman as portrayed in this latest incarnation and George W Bush.
    Mr Klavan goes on to speculate as to why it is that Hollywood only depicts heroism and conservative values in comic book movies or fantasies such as 300, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Spiderman 3 and now The Dark Knight.
    So Batman and Bush both men who did what they had to do to fight evil and are hated for it. What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day and came up with the opposite. Batman is the opposite of Bush because he pushes the boundaries as a private individual. These are things he can be held accountable for as a citizen. But once those things are made into law, and the government is given the authority to do them, we start to lose sense of what's right and wrong. You can't hold the government accountable for something they're saying is right. This is why the power of the government should be limited. Batman knows what he's doing is wrong, the government would say that what it's doing is right.

So I'd say Batman is a libertarian hero.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One who would fight the government if the government were employing his methods.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Only if he is discovered.

Batman is the quintessential conservative hero, depending on no one but himself when thing need to be taken care of.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Sure, but then you'd have to agree that Bush isn't a conservative. Then we can agree that Batman=/=Bush.

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

But like Batman....Do we really know what is behind the public Bush?

He sure seems able, to get congress to do, what he needs done.

We are to close to the situation, 3 or 4 decades down the road, that is when it will be possable to decided as to what Bush really was.

9. Roman Banned Banned

The Batman refuses to kill.
    He's even given the chance to kill Joker, and instead, he chooses not to, though at immense personal risk.

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

He didn't save him either?

11. Roman Banned Banned

He did. Joker was falling, and the Batman harpooned him and pulled him back up to safety.

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

. . . Except Batman is smart, competent and doesn't leave Gotham worse than he found it. He also hires better help.

13. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

But he DID depend greatly on others. Where would he be without:
    Alfred
    Lucius
    Lt Gordon

And he hoped Harvey Dent would become the White Night so Batman could retire.

And since when do conservatives not depend on anyone?

14. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

If you consider the part where 1 or 2 indivuduals decide to lie for what they consider is best for their society, yes I would say that is in line with --- probably not conservatism, but definitly the current administration. I guess movie audiences are much more forgiving because they are watching a COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO MOVIE. Most of us (I hope) realize that the line between good and evil is more distinct in Gothem. The Batman is good, and the audience are the only ones who know that for sure.

Bush is no Batman. Bush is only an idiot.

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Again, even that doesn't apply. This wasn't a government policy of secrecy but a pact made by two individual men. That makes all the difference in the world.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Sorry I didn't make my self clear, yes we depend on friends and family, but not the government.

17. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Like clan societies? Dibs on the name "Highlander".

18. superstring01 Moderator

LMFAO!!!

So true. So, so true.

~String

19. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Batman is actually a Democrat. He's against the death penalty and he favors gun control.

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

1. He's against murder, not necessarily the death penalty. We haven't been given any indication on what he feels about a criminal being put to death by a jury of his peers in a fair trial.

2. I'm sure Batman wants guns out of the hands of criminals, I don't think it'd be easy to find a Republican who doesn't want the same. Keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens though is a totally different issue that Batman hasn't tackled.

Nothing at all to indicate he's a Democrat.

21. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Depends on what kind of conservative. Social conservatives depend on the government to enforce their values, such as keeping gay marriage and abortion illegal, or kicking gays out of the armed forces.

22. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

If batman had been warned by the governments of many, many countries that a threat was coming very soon he would have taken it seriously. If Batman was in charge of the government he would not have idiotically said that 'no one considered the possibility that they would fly planes into skyscrapers' - a hallucination repeated by C. Rice. - when in fact this had been considered for years by many parts of the US government.
    Batman would not have close ties some familial to the people who armed and trained Bin Ladin, Noriega and S. Hussain. He would have been savvy enough not to trust these people, at the very least. Batman, unlike George Bush and the Commision to investigate 9/11 would have considered it important that a certain Pakistani official sent the leader of the terrorists $100,000 shortly before the attack and would have wondered why this official was meeting with members of the US government on the day of the attacks. Batman would not have seen 9/11 as a profit making opportunity.

You are describing 2 fantasy figures.

23. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Yep, that's why Batman refuses to use guns, he's a pacifist when it comes to crime enforcement. Now the Punisher on the other hand is definitely an N.R.A supporting, pro death penalty Republican

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Chicago Tribune covered this very subject recently. Check here to see the political affiliations of our favorite hero's.

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/red-superhero-politics,0,1753398.photogallery