Basic writing qualms

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Rusty, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rusty Rusty Registered Senior Member

Hello!
    1 I'm an upcoming writer,I would like to know the members' take on their experiences with the literati.How do you handle the experienced editors ego whose mindset is strongly grounded that age is the deciding factor?

2 Will the concoction of simplicity in narration with a tinge of intelligent vocabulary and incisive brevity work?or you're welcome with your views which would hold the the reader to the book.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

One word....BRIBES!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A good thing to do is write what you feel the most comfortable way that you enjoy. Please yourself and others will also be entertained as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Always have your work reviewed by someone who is a good writer but writes differently from you.

Don't tell your editor anything more than you have to. He doesn't need to know your age.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If the problem is that he's making lots of changes in sentences like that one, don't "handle" him - listen to him.

But Fraggle's right - there have been published authors whose editors did not know their sex or nationality, even, let alone their age.

8. Rusty Rusty Registered Senior Member

But Fraggle's right - there have been published authors whose editors did not know their sex or nationality, even, let alone their age.

Can I retain my anonymity?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In my lifetime I have seen a bestseller (junk novel) written by a committee, who invented a pseudonym and at need hired someone (one of there wives) to pose as the author on talk shows.

There is still controversy over who "B Traven" was (the author of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and other novels) , after many years of serious sleuthing.

IIRC Ann Rice published a whole line of books under another name, and many Science Fiction and other less respected genre books have been written under "second identities" and nom de plumes (noms de plume ?) by people who were shy of risking their reputations in serious fields.

Authors are fictional. The books are real.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nom de plume means "name of pen" or "pen name." The plural is noms de plume. The term was coined by British intellectuals, who did not understand that the French phrase nom de guerre is a more poetic metaphor with the same meaning. It was eventually picked up by the French, but pseudonyme is more common.

Authors have many reasons for using pseudonyms. Prolific writers may have more than one short story published in a single issue of a magazine under multiple names. Some may want to establish themselves as a "brand name" in a genre, so they use different names for other genres.

Sometimes it's just marketing. Pearl Grey didn't think his name would attract readers to his novels about rugged cowboys in the Wild West so he changed it to Zane. Charles Luttwidge Dodgson looked pretty good on the cover of a mathematics textbook, but Lewis Carroll was a better fit for Alice in Wonderland.

11. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

You just described my favourite books.