Baron Max banned again?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by mordea, Jan 26, 2010.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by cluelusshusbund
    Leave the threds in the cesspool unlocked... an when you feel a ban is necesary... ban the person to postin only in the cesspool for a period of time.!!!

But you havent actualy tryed it an dont intend to... clear enuff.!!!

A-Man.TTT

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, they used to be mostly unlocked. We learned our lesson.

That's never been my intent. If it ever became my intent, I estimate you'd immediately see 5 to 10 regular and prolific posters vanish from sciforums.

There's a lot of mountain-making from molehills that goes on here. I think that every forum like this gets to a stage after a while where some members become more interested in the meta-content than the content - i.e. they spend the vast majority of their forum time talking about the other members, the moderators, the way the forum works or doesn't work, how great things used to be, what needs to change for the forum to return to the "glory days of yore" they remember from when they first signed up etc. This comes at the expense of actually adding anything to the forum in terms of interesting content or discussion.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

At one point, many of the threads in the Cesspool were unlocked. Then the moderators found themselves in the position of having to moderate what was intended as a dumping ground.

The point is that the Cesspool is just that, a dumping ground. Do you really think it is appropriate to have racist threads, as one example, that has been dumped into the Cesspool for the type of messages it conveys (blantant racism), be left open for it to continue? How about a thread about paedophilia? Should we allow such threads to remain open so that paedophiles can argue the benefits of having sex with children?

Most forums don't even have a Cesspool and the offending threads are removed entirely from view and either deleted or deposited in a closed private forum that only moderators and admin can view.

I think you would find that it is more a case of 'been there, done that and the effects were not pretty'. How many times do you have to see and realise that something doesn't work, before you stop?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Thank you. That gives us a point to begin discussion...

Your comments regarding meta-content vs content are quite valid, but on the other hand, this attitude is temporal in nature. It will pass...

Meanwhile, while we are here, is any of this causing unrest amongst management? For example, Bells decision to recuse herself might be an example. Is there an official "plan" in the works? Have the functional requirements been determined? Goals established? Milestones set? Lag time accounted for?

If it's not privileged, are these things already in the works?

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Basicly... Moderaters stay the hell out of the cesspool an make it known that people who post in the cesspool are on ther own... all whinin will be ignored.!!!

The pont is... that woudnt be the pont if the purpos of the cesspool was changed... duh... lol.!!!

Ah... so you played the racist an paedophile card... lol.!!!

In the (free speech) webtv groop i had for about 3 years... ther was a few posters who was blantant racists... they was ignored... laffed at... an educated... an over all it was a good thang to have the lite of day shine on such ignerence... an 1 time som guy suggested that man-boy situatons shud be oK if the child is oK wit it... he got shot down perty quick an that was the las of that issue... yep... all topics was on-topic... but 1 topic that never cam up was unfare moderaton... LOL.!!!

I get you'r drift... it coud be worser than it is...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:xctd:

This groop ant been thar an ant done that... but its true that everbody dont see the beauty of free-speech.!!!

My idea hasnt ever been tryed so you dont know how it woud work... but James wont try it an thats that... eh.!!!

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, it is/has. The main problem has not been the (controversial, in some quarters) banning of SAM; it has been the resulting unrest and disunity in the moderator team.

I'm sorry. I don't follow the corporate-speak here.

10. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I apologize, James. They are all part of "Project Management" an "official" discipline cutting across corporate business, all the way to NASA. In fact, the person I learned from literally, actually, came from NASA, where he was a mid-level "project manager".

I believe Microsoft offers project management software (in fact, I'm sure they do, although last I checked they were still not the "preferred" source)...

Anyway, the terms mostly mean what you might think, in plain English. A "goal" for example, is the ultimate result(s) desired. A milestone marks an important marker along the way to that goal, showing significant progress. Some of the others (and there are many more) are a bit more obscure, but still fairly logical. "Slack" or "lag" time invokes the idea of - well, I expect to reach milestone "x" by July 1st, but I have 9 days "slack" time. Say your particular part of a project involved producing widgets, and the rest of the team's project depended on the widgets being ready by July 10th. In that case, you would have 9 days slack time. Other terms include resources, contacts, managers, etc.

An alternative to formal Project Management would be JAD/RAD - joint application development, rapid application deployment. Perhaps you know that method of managing complex projects?

I just assumed you would be familiar with it because it is used in the scientific fields as well as business. (I swear, if WillNever comes along and gives me a hard time about any of this, I will stuff him under a milestone.)

*cough* Sorry, anyway, that is the idea. I was wondering if Admin / Mods / Management / Owners actually had produced a plan. A "formal" plan at that. I guess that would have been the logical first question, again, sorry.

Is there any sort of plan established to achieve your / the site's goals? Or are we making it up as we go along?

11. Bells Staff Member

So you want a forum that has absolutely no rules and where you can say or do whatever you please?

Makes me wonder why you are attracted to this particular forum at all..?

I don't think it needs to be changed.

Why should it change to cater to a small minority who simply post to abuse and insult other people?

Nope. I am merely pointing out to you that such threads are usually dumped into the dumping ground called "Cesspool".

That was its original intent and that is what it does. It is the garbage tip of this forum.

How nice for you.

Things do not work that way in this forum. Blatant racism and people who are into paedophilia, for example, is not welcome here. The rules are more relaxed now than they used to be when I first joined. Believe me. We would have rip roaring wars on this forum, but you could only go so far before you would get a non-too gentle reminder. Now you can go a lot further before you get the polite PM asking you to tone it down, and if you don't then you can face a ban.

I cannot understand why people join forums such as this forum and demand it be changed to resemble a forum or group they used to belong to.

/Sigh..

Free speech is always limited, so it is a fallacy at its very core. For example, free speech does not allow you to incite hatred or violence against others. People seem to think that "free speech" allows them to say just about anything without fear of prosecution from authorities. I would suggest you walk into a Government building and say quite loudly that you have a bomb and see how far your "free speech" takes you. Alternatively, you can stand with holding a sign that says "kill all niggers" for example, and see how far you you get by citing free speech.

You are not the first, nor the last, to come up with that demand/suggestion. James won't try it because he has been there and done that many times in the past. Understand that this forum did not come into existence when you first joined it.

It existed prior to your appearance.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Nice strawman... but the truth is... ive meerly suggested a change in the rules concernin the cesspool.!!!

Good for you... you jus beat up you'r strawman... lol.!!!

Noted... Bwaahahahahah.!!!

Anuther straw man... sinse my idea hasnt been tryed you dont know that the change woudnt be benificial to all.!!!

Bah... change is bad... :itold:

"demand"... anuther strawman... eh

I can emagine you'r pane that you want it to be true... but you'r continuin to make that false clame dont make it so... the fact still is... James has never tryed what ive suggested about the cesspool... <ka-peach>

Never insinuated it did... but sinse you pulled that out you'r azz... can you understan that the sun dont rize an set on Bells ether

Focus:::

James wont try my suggeston... ive moved on... will you continue to beat a dead horese.???

A-Man.TTT

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Actually, it has been tried.

When I first started moderating in December 2008 (has it really been that long?) the majority of threads were cesspooled without being locked, however, in Feb-March, the decision was made to re-institute the locking of threads in the cesspool, as had previously been the policy.

A couple of threads arose at the time (eg: here).

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Then i take it bak... so when was the cesspool used as a place to ban people to for periods of time... when they didnt meet the postin standards (desided by the mods) in the other postin areas.???

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Banning is a good thing. I have seen good threads to to hell in a handbag over. And it is the same individuals doing it over and over again.

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What hapens when you report those individuals.???

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't know what the mods do in the background, but usually a good thread gets closed and good discussion ended. It gets frustrating sometimes. That is why I say, ban first, ban a little more, ask questions later.

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

People who dont use the report button often enuff dont have the rite to complane about trouble makers not gettn baned often enuff.!!!

19. John99 Banned Banned

whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010