Banksy's Graffiti

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by redarmy11, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Eraserhead Registered Member

I'm confused is that directed at me? If so those articels are about Banksy's work... When i say Banksy i mean his art.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

No, no, no. Creept's "he's a middle-class leftie with Venessa Redgrave ideals" comments. I'm reading through the articles.

OK, I'm done. Slow reader aren't I?

Well, I think the point about him being some working class lad who hasn't been to art college and is therefore discounted as a credible artist, or somewhat lacking in substance or "mystique" is a fair point. If you're a middle class art critique with a distaste for a clear message.

So they think Banksy's stuff isn't subversive or subtle. So he may not have gone to college. That's beside the point. The articles seemed to suggest his work is like a playschool version of the real deal.

Egadz, this kind of conversation is frustratingly slow. A Banksy discussion needs red wine and good friends and a good pub, like Ye Crack

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know he's popular, but that doesn't discredit him. I know people who like underground material, like hardcore punk, then as soon as more than five people buy their stuff they leave them abandoned by the roadside for "selling out". I also don't subscribe to the idea that his fans don't like conventional art. I think most people don't like art because it's inaccessible, like Shakespeare or Linux. But if they took the time to learn the language a whole wonderful world of expression will open up to them.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Eraserhead Registered Member

There's clearly more to those articles than what you say. The main theme of both is that Banksy's socio-political work lacks real depth and substance. It's not that they dislike him for being working class (Damien Hirst is working class and got a E in art) or populist, they are just pointing out that his work isn't as clever as people want to think it is...

I think the point that his works seemingly cheapens underground culture is interesting as well. I've seen some mind blowing graffiti that blows Banksy out of the water. Sometimes it seems people are simply buying into to the cult of Banksy without actually taking time to deconstruct what it is he actually does. Ironically the kind of mindless celebrity worship that he stands so fervently against.

You're right arguing on here is incredibly frustrating we should prob stop....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I hear what you're saying. It's a completely valid point and I think I'm inclined to agree. I'm not very educated and so I probably eat what I'm given. Obviously there is more to the articles but I didn't want to go on too much, which I do tend to do at times. Anyway, this was fun and interesting. Cheers.

8. Eraserhead Registered Member

Maybe i'm being overly cynical. I don't have a problem with Banksy per se, it's more Banksy fans and those who indulge in his moral sentiment without really looking for any real meaning. I suppose the Nathan Barley 'try hard' type, or even 'Venessa Redgrave syndrome' as you put it. Maybe i'm taking it all too seriously as well, but i can't help feeling somewhat short-changed when i look at a piece of Banksy's work that on the surface screams political radicalism, yet in reality delivers a hash of 'trendy' incoherent notions about nothing in particular. I think i feel more frustrated than anything because i so desperately want to like him.

I completely respect your ability to like Banksy for what he is, but i need something more i'm affraid.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. Eraserhead Registered Member

That's all well and good, a big anti state message with a boy painting it being photographed by a security guard......wow how subversive! I'm changed forever.....

11. Eraserhead Registered Member

Banksy...art for idiots? Discuss!

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Interesting. Art can be fun and pointful. Not the boring stuffy painting's I'm used to.

13. Eraserhead Registered Member

Yeah of course, just so long as it doesn't pretend to be something it is not.

Social injustice - fun?....mmm...