Banksy's Graffiti

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by redarmy11, Apr 15, 2008.

1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My favourite one.

8. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Wow, people are watching this thread but no one is offering anything up. I take it there's an interest in him but maybe people aren't too sure what to make of him, or his work. I think he's probably as important as Oscar Wilde. The term "Cultural Jammer" fits what he is best of all. Ah I'll shut up and let you get some, get some. Eye candy baybeh!

10. Eraserhead Registered Member

I like Banksy's humour yet other than the superficial veneer of wit what exactly does his work say? I find it, especially his political stuff, the kind of pseudo subversive/intellectual art only reserved for the most pretentious of art lovers. Yet his work seems endemic to even the most hardeded art crtic. I really don't understand why? His work seems so one-dimentional for someone who claims he's anti-war/anti-capitalist/anti-establishment etc...

Maybe in one sense his work is a paradox that reflects the inanity and mindless nature of western celebrity culture, however i don't think that is by any means the intention!

I have an excellent article on Banksy yet i can't post it yet

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

He's my favourite urban artist!

I have one of his works printed out and taped to the wall at work.
    I wish there were more people like him enriching our cities.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The wall he painted on in Qalqilya; the reisdential areas are surrounded while the agricultural land belonging to the residents is cut off

The competiiton

This month's treasure hunt takes place in sunny Palestine/Israel. Somewhere along the route of the segregation wall you�ll find this rat. At the foot of his shovel is a flat rock with a word written on the underside. The first person to email that word into this site wins a hacked off piece of wall adorned with an original Banksy painting worth quite possibly tens of pounds. Good luck. E-mail your answer to: treasure@banksy.co.uk

Anyone win it?

14. Creeptology Registered Member

My wife bought me the wall and piece book with the "extra crap" in, some of the stuff is genius. Sad thing is the authorities treat cultural jammers and artists who have a socio political agenda as common criminals.

(the white line started in a different place and eventaul leads you to the copper if you follow it, I don't have a scanner or would post scans from wall and piece showing it.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have that book too, it's great

16. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I'm such a "pretentious art lover", or opinionated snob. I hear what you're saying, it's an intelligent case against his work and for that I am more than willing to listen. You've at least considered it and then formed your opinion. Nothing irks me more than a non-considered opinion. Bravo for you having an opinion I don't agree with but fully respect.

17. Eraserhead Registered Member

]

Yeah i have Wall and Piece, and untill i studied it was a distant admirer (as most poeple are), in fact like i said i still enjoy Banksy when he's nt trying to preach his pseudo-subversive message. I find that element of his work lacking real thought and coherence. Banksy to me is nothing more than a glorified comic book artist, a very interesting one tho...

So what does Banksy's work mean to you??

I also can't stand a dismissive opinion, nothing more frustrating! I like your choice btw, that one is in Liverpool where i went to uni....

18. Eraserhead Registered Member

Oh and i have two really good articles about Banksy but this damn thing wont let me post till i get 20 posts...

19. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I wait with baited breath

Yeah, he represents to me a voice. My voice, I suppose. My ideals, my grievances with my government, and the establishment. My love of comedy to overcome the political injustices of this country, and the world at large. A different perspective that the one commonly offered. A big middle finger to the people who want to tell us what art is. You know, I think sometimes people don't know what their opinion is until someone tells them it. And I think that's perhaps what Banksy has done. After all, we all form our opinions about our world from external sources.

I really look forward to reading your posts in the future Eraserhead.

20. Eraserhead Registered Member

That's exactly what i want him to do for me, but sadly i think he lacks subtance. Maybe i take my critique too seriously tho, i'm keepng an open mind either way....

I'll be sure to hook you up with those articles if i ever manage 20 posts.

21. Creeptology Registered Member

In general I like the message behind a lot of the work, although I admit sometimes I agree it can be a bit too much for it's own good and smacks of the middle class trendy anti-government rebel vibe (AKA Vanessa Redgrave Syndrome). It may just be the way the scene is portrayed in the media and how it's getting quite a trendy image and it's following among the middle class activist crowd.

I suspect a lot of the artists themselves are not quite so serious about the message. Certainly they believe some of it but with a sense of humour bits are more tongue in cheek. At least thats what i tell myself since I like the work and can't bear to think Banksy and co are actually like characters from Nathan Barley. I bet this makes me sound like a right classist bastard, I'm not btw (or maybe a little).

22. Eraserhead Registered Member

The first one is a serious in depth criticism of Banksy, the second is a more flippant yet equally relevant approach.

Obviously i'm cheating so just cut and paste and add "www" etc...

arts.guardian.co.uk/art/visualart/story/0,,2118864,00.html

guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1878555,00.html

23. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Is the manufacturer that important? Just because an artist produces a particular canon of work does that mean they're only to be defined by that genre? I couldn't care less [that phrase holds a particular bone of contention with me but I'll save that for the linguistics forum] whether Banksy Plc. was a toff from the House of Windsor, if he's singing my song I'm going to join in. After all, we impute whatever our agenda is on that work. Do we need to like Bob Dylan himself to understand his message and feel he's singing our song? Nah, Banksy isn't that important to me. His work is though.