Ban the Religion Thread

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Epictetus, May 22, 2012.

?

Ban the Religion Thread?

Poll closed May 23, 2013.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Who is for banning the Religion thread? Philosophy is fine - the queen of the sciences. For myself, I would even prefer to keep Eastern Philosophy, as Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion. Morals, Ethics and Justice? Of course! But all the Religion thread seems good for is encouraging Abrahamists, especially the Jesus freaks to bait us. Seems to me a Science forum ought to be about what is provable. Thread questions like 'How do we Know God loves us?' or whatever are mere sentiment, and I think, a bald attempt to rile up those of us who want to discuss science. Let the Abrahamists go to Catholic Online if they want to discuss such things. Here they are simply and merely nothing but trolls.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I voted no...

I am an atheist, but I do need a laugh now and then...

So, I hope it's always here.

Yes, I may be an old dude, but I still love fairy-tales and myths.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Sure Gremmie. I can understand that. Most of my posts are pure comedy, though not in the religious vein. It's with an effort I ignore such posts that are obviously just atheist-baiting.

Please note, ladies and gentleman, in the interest of justice and fair play, I myself have abstained from voting.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

'Bait' is but what it is.

There is no need to rise to it.

One can just be like an old muskie and lurk in the weeds until something more worthy presents....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

You don't want to see religious threads..then don't subscribe to them..

you don't have to force your own attitudes on others.
    OMG..and here i was arguing that theist were more guilty of that..(see 'should there be a law banning same sex marriages')

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Why do you think it's a bait?

Can you explain?

10. CptBork Valued Senior Member

The preachy types deserve a refuge where they can safely make asses of themselves, so I voted no.

11. Rav Valued Senior Member

We need the religion subforum. Without it, much of it's content would spill over into this forum, and others, even more so than it already does. I suspect that leaving it in place, and relaxing the rules concerning the type of discussion that is allowed to go on in there, makes it a little easier for the mods to keep the rest of the forums relatively free of that sort of content.

12. Xotica Everyday I’m Shufflin Registered Senior Member

Self-discipline is a far better option than censorship. Your mouse and keyboard obviously work. Not interested in something? Don't click on it.

13. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

God is a loving creature from outer space... Alien you might say!

So no, don't ban the religion thread!

14. MisterSelmo Registered Member

Then explore the science of religion, why people need it and what merits it may have toward benefitting the human race. In my personal experience, anti-religious sentiments generally stem from having been burned by religion in the past. It's rarely objective when someone is okay with eastern religions, space alien religions, ninja cyborg religions and the rest, but they're not okay with a very specific, popular western religion. Trolls need lovin' too. Haha.

After a quick trip over to the religion thread... I am perhaps tempted to want to change my vote. I'm only half kidding.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  15. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

No, they don't.:spank:

16. MisterSelmo Registered Member

Well... it all goes back to "how do you kill that which has no life?" Can't argue with them, because they don't take it seriously. Can't ignore them, cause they just try harder to get attention. So agree with them. lol.

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Sure ya can...My Mom is a troll...I've ignored her for years...

What else ya got?

18. MisterSelmo Registered Member

A well-developed sense of humor.

19. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

That helps...

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Either Dick Dawkins has written a new book where he gives the okay to show your communist horns, or you have prematurely ejaculated them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

jan.

21. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Yes. Surely something along that line played a factor in creating it to begin with. Similar to the extra woo-woo forums being added a few months ago, though "Religion" should probably concern Philosophy of Religion rather than drive-by shootings of arbitrary fervor. Centuries of apologist arguments and analysis built-up there rather than Crusader Tater venting about the latest secular bogue that violated or crawled up Sacred Space.

22. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

By not allowing others to talk about what they would like, would only show that your not a very tolerant nor understanding type of person for they don't suppress your thoughts about what you believe do they?

23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

No. Rename it however, religion is mostly pointless, but seeking knowledge of God is important.