Ban Smoking Right Now

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by TruthSeeker, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You can build a tolerance to drugs(medicine). Isn't it the same principal?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

So?

A strict system should be set up that doesn't even allow smoking to ever happen. First complaint: warning. Second complaint: Fine. Third Complaint: Kick out.

Simple, yes? If this isn't happening in your apartment complex, then either you are too much of a pussy to bring up the complaint or management is too scared of losing a customer. If it's the former, then get some back bone. If it's the latter, then live somewhere else.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Humans have no way of coping with cancerogenic substances, we did'nt evolve in the presence of these new artificial chemicals and hence have no way to cope with cell mutation cause by them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Maybe so. But it was a large study and the only statistically significant result they got was a decreased risk of lung cancer for children of smokers.

The risk of second hand smoke is way overblown.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What is the logic behind the result? How was the study performed? People were asked to smoke in front of the children for a year?

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Cancer takes many years to show up, so clearly having parents smoke in front of their children for a year would not be informative. Obviously it was a retrospective study comparing cancer rates among children of smokers to those of nonsmokers.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

And how accurate those studies are, considering they are not very controlled?

11. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

Look, if I want to commide suicide having some good cigarettes, thats my choice, but if I were you I'd go up and speak to this smoking man, he prolly doesn't even know that you're breathing in his poison.

good luck