'Bad Mom' Sued

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm in for a world of hurt if kids could sue parents for these reasons. I just want to kick their spoiled butts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Did you know you can sue your parents for skimping out on your childhood birthday gifts? You can, but you'll probably lose. Two years after Steven and Kathryn Miner, both in their 20s, sued their mother, Kimberly Garrity, for bad parenting during their formative years, the case has been dismissed. The $500,000 lawsuit accused 55-year-old Garrity of causing her adult kids emotional distress.
    Their claims about their poor upbringing had more to do with what mom didn't do, than what she did. For starters: she didn't send her son college care packages, or buy her daughter the homecoming dress she wanted. And their birthday cards? No cash or checks, just Hallmark sentiments.....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

While certain types of lawsuits are just frivolous as these are there are some however that are really needed to be brought to the court system. As an example there are certain lawsuits that should be brought to the court system by the children. Am example is when a child is acting in TV or movies and doesn't think that their parents are handling their incomes correctly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

Reading a fuller account, she sounds like a terrible mother, but the courts were right to dismiss it.

The mother, Garrity, argued that she should have sole custody of the daughter, Kathryn, and Kathryn and her brother should be separated entirely, because her son was abused by a female adult as a child. As a result of the abuise, Garrity argued, the son would likely abuse Kathryn if he was permitted to see her.

Who was her son's abuser? According to the complaint, Garrity.

She had better pray she never needs her kids help though, as she's the textbook case of a mother who should fear her kids eventually confining her to some cut-rate nursing home (and paying the orderlies extra to torment her while there). A mother who'd call her son out as being some sort of ticking time bomb of abuse is a special snowflake, just not a legally liable snowflake.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Where'd you find that?
    That's pretty douchy.

Heh, she only hit him once though? wimp. I got slapped around weekly. Dad punching me was rare though.

8. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

9. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

im at a loss for words

10. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I think I smell bad reporting. One twenty something person delusional enough too think they can win a case like the one described is more likely than two twenty something.

More likely still is reporters misreporting the story to make the story more interesting and to give the story an emotional appeal to people chronically upset at selfish spoiled undisciplined people.

Probably the court case was real and the reporters or bloggers did not entirely make it up. The court case was obviously not close to winnable (at least in front of that judge) if the case was thrown out. In the USA if your father beat you routinely for little or no reason and beat you with a two by four piece of wood breaking your hip and your jaw and causing your teeth to need dental treatment as an adult you will still find it very difficult to win damages against your father after an amount of years have passed.

Maybe the children in this story had no intention of winning in which case that should have been part of the story. Probably there were accusations against the mother more serious than lack of gifts given but the reporter lied lied to leave them out or each re-reporting of the story incrementally became further from the true story.

These 20 something siblings may bee too naive to understand that they are embarrassing themselves with their silly lawsuit but more likely the true lawsuit was less silly than what has been reported.

These type of stories rarely check out when investigated. The most famous of this genre, the lady who spilled hot McDonalds coffee on herself was blatant misreporting funded by professional liars but still you would think that in a case so re-reported as that one that people would eventually start reporting the truth and stop retelling the lies but that never happened and the retelling of those lies still continues decades later.

I have seen enough of these type of stories only to later get the rest of the story that I now presume the story misrepresented what the 20 somethings were trying to claim was the bad parenting.

11. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

The father was one of the attorneys for the children and the mother alleges he was the driving force behind the suit, not the kids (though there is bad blood between her and the kids too).

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

do you have a link to this fuller account. I didn't read anything like this

13. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

See post 5, above, it links to the whole mess the court ruled on.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

thank you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!