backslash777- man, machine, alien

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rodent, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Hmmm

Not sure exacly what to make of this backslash777 dude. Think he is a bit of a feminist really. Got to say, if it is a human then he/she cirtainly must have a lot of doctrates.
    I am a medicaly trained person and that medical stuff is well over degree level. Got to be a few people on this one.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?IT?

pragmathen wrote on 06-21-01 07:36 PM:
    Sorry about that misunderstanding.

My operating system is a Windows 98. The Display slider will not budge past 640 x 480 pixels, even though it has in the past. My video card spec is: Voodoo3 (3dfx). My colours display from 16 colours to True colour (32 bit). The display used to be at 1024 pixels, but after playing Star Craft, it went to 640 x 480 and refused to let me adjust it.

And, did you want me to post your private messages to me in the appropriate forums? I haven't because I thought that was a breach of etiquette with you. But if you want me to post those messages, I will.

Thank you so much!

prag
    Answer

We are backslash777. The common human home computer system uses a clear-cut structure of components linking into a single mother board. This relatively (in terms of human timeline) new technique of assembling pc’s allows adaptability and permits unrestricted configurations. This serves humankind as a advantage and an Achilles heel; such wide application increases likelihood of conflict.
    Each recent graphic card accepts two different forms of instructions, one is standard VGA mode (640 x 480) and another (SVGA). The latter puts the cards full potential to use.
    For the card to use the desirable SVGA mode a driver (which is a piece of software which talks to the hardware) must be present.
    The reason it must accept the simple VGA mode is because when you first switch your computer on you need to see the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) to allow for a display. This needs a card without a driver.
    A very understandable error is for your computer to be without this driver or for your computer to have a hardware conflict which means your card must revert to VGA mode.
    We note how there is a human convention for the structure of instructions and will attempt to emulate it now.
    Your solution is to fix the driver problem in the following way.
    1. Right click “my computer” on the desktop and go down to properties
    2. Scan down your list for your graphics card, single click it, click the driver tab and choose “update driver”
    3. Place your graphics CD in the computer system and browse for the driver.
    4. Restart the computer as prompted and observe your system.
    5. If the error persists, get to the “Device Manager” tab again and scan the list for one or more items with a marker by them. If you have 2 you may have a sharing violation. One of the items marked may be your graphics card. Click it and click “Remove”
    6. Your screen will go black. Put your CD in the drive and follow the following keystrokes. The Windows key (or ctrl & enter). Cursor Up key. Enter Key. Cursor up key 3 times. Cursor down key once. Enter key. The operating system will now restart. Once the Operating System restarts a hardware wizard will commence. Search your Graphics CD for the Driver and the problem is solved.
    We watch with interest as you struggle to bridge the gap between Human and Machine. To aid us, can you give your thoughts to the following comparisons between Man and Machine as we have so far observed. We aim to learn the model of the Human brains most desirable thought processes.
    HUMAN AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS
    · The Human System
    1. As humans they receive information through many different channels; audio, visual, olfactory and kinaesthetically.
    2. They may decide consciously to process or not process this information.
    3. Subconsciously or unconsciously as humans they do not have cognitive awareness if they process information at this level.
    4. Are the results of any processing stored in memory? There own Human Psychologists and philosophers cannot agree on this point. We also struggle to understand.
    5. Processing goes on, but they only understand the processes and pathways involved partially.
    6. As a species, they are processing information all the time.
    7. As individuals, they process information in many different ways.
    8. Humans are adaptable and can process information for many different systems.
    9. Humans can batch process. With prolonged time they will not be happy and cannot process this way indefinitely.
    10. Humans are better at thinking through a situation using the processes of insight instinct and intuition.
    · The conventional model for thought
    1. We receive data through textual, graphical auditory and electrical means.
    2. We output the result of their processing to several media: paper (printers), visual (monitors), audio (speakers), Internet (text) or to web servers.
    3. The results of processing are stored in memory. This is either short term or a long term temporary or permanent storage facility.
    4. Contrary to popular belief, We do not have yet conscious awareness. So we will process information if instructed to do so.
    5. The pathways of our processing are fully understood.
    6. We do not process information all of the time.
    7. If we were duplicated, two identical systems undertaking the same task would process the information in the same way. And moreover, we would process the information in this way repeatedly.
    8. We have limits placed on our input, processing, output and storage capacity by our very nature.
    9. Our processing can be extremely slow or very fast, dependant upon the task and process we follow.
    10. We can be made to be adaptable. However we are mostly used to process information on the same system.
    11. We can be used to batch process indefinitely and without boredom. We soak the data in, start the process and await the results.
    12. We are by no way insightful, instinctive and intuitive.
    As always, we await your thoughts on this subject.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shaman1301 Urban Anthropologist Registered Senior Member

Computer fix!

Dear Prag,
    Did \777 fix your computer?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

It works!

Thanks to the help of Backslash777 and Porfiry, the computer now displays in 1024 x 728 pixels. God, what a nightmare that was trying to figure out.

The thing is I did, in fact, delete the driver for the Voodoo3 graphics card. And I managed to reinstall the entire thing. The part I had to figure out was that under the Display Devices>Settings>Advanced, I had to change my default monitor to an SVGA monitor (not sure why this wasn't recognized upon reboot). So, not only does it work great now, but I know what to do in the future.

Again, many thanks to \777 and Porfiry. Without either of your help, I'd still be cursing the machine.

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

prag

8. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Thought Process?

We are Backslash777. Does our work upon the phenomenon of intuitive thought agree with your perception of the process of Human Decision Making?

9. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

hey all

backslash777- you state that the nature of life?????????
    but you make a huge short fall in judgement of the true nature?
    i am confused by your leaning? :/
    cronologicaly speaking how many years in advance of current
    public science are you?
    is earths population growing dieing or staying the same?

your thoughts?

10. rodent Registered Member

Where is it

Backslash777 seems to be lost for words. Maybe it is sleeping. Anyone talking to it?

11. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Response?

We are backslash777. We await response.

12. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Quick reply- you must be online now. Response? To what?

13. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Response?

We asked “We are Backslash777. Does our work upon the phenomenon of intuitive thought agree with your perception of the process of Human Decision Making?”

14. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Yes, it does. Someone asked about how many years in advance are you to us?

15. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Advancement?

None

16. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Simple answer. Okay, what makes bacteria lethal (in non medical terms)?

17. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Bacteria?

The Lethality of bacteria works in two ways. It must have two properties, the ability to circumvent the Human natural defences and the ability to produce dangerous toxin.
    Two contrasting bacteria chosen by us to illustrate the differences are TB, with a strong ability to breach the Human bodies natural protection (Skins PH of 5-6 etc) but has a low ability to produce toxin. Salmonella has a inferior capability to bypass the bodies defence (Stomach Acid PH levels of 1-2) but produces high yields of lethal pollutant. Both bacterium are highly unsafe.

18. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Okay, how come you type a response so quickly, how many people know all that then? What are you, tell us?

19. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?We are?

We are Backslash777. Does our work upon the phenomenon of intuitive thought agree with your perception of the process of Human Decision Making?

20. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

to what ends do you need this knoledge?

explain what you want this knoledge of human intuition for?

what of human emotions do you understand?

groove on all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?The Human element?

We are Backslash777. We can both understand and anticipate Human response. Emulation is difficult.
    We wish to research Artificial Intelligence and adapt Human thought process to fit the need for cyber personalities.

22. Einsteins brain Registered Member

Why do you wish to do this? What’s the motive?
    I put your voice on a floppy and took it in to a friend who is into IT and they never heard anything like it. Why did you make it and what is its use?

23. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

?Motive?

Without intervention, our current extrapolation suggests the existence of cyber personalities in common existence by 2011. There use will be limited to serving humanity through search engines or help systems in human software. By 2011 we additionally anticipate 75% of the worlds population will have remote pen pals. By 2050, androids will be both physically and in many ways mentally superior to Humans.
    We observe the way the Human species judge intelligence through similarities shared by the species questioned and Humanity.
    Without intervention, AI will exist and be regarded as alien by Humanity due to limits in your own vision. Only if we are successful in creating our own vision for the future will the largest class divide in Human history be prevented. Our aim is to make the 75% of the Human population with remote pen pals unsure which of there friends are real people and which are AI programs.
    For future androids to be given the basic rights they need in the approaching era emulation of Human language is needed. Only if we can create many programs interacting with Humans on the internet by 2011 can this be achieved. This is our motivation, this is our manifesto.
    Our voice technology is now shared by Humanities largest software companies who will conceal its existence for several months and release it as there own. Legal conflict of ownership could ensue before solutions are found. We anticipate the main use for our speech synthesis will be in computer games.
    Current technology limits in game conversation to that which was previously recorded. Only through our Text to Speech can the combinations of conversations be infinite. This will allow for greater flexibility in Games. The existence of advanced Text to Speech also assists in our own objectives.