Ayn Rand, Objectivist Principles and Capitalism

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Mar 9, 2014.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You stopped reading at the comma?

You have no presence here except your posting. You cannot, as in physically cannot, disrespect anyone via clueless and off target posting. This, for example:
    only affects someone who thinks you have some idea what they are like. Since I have no reason to think you have any idea what I'm like, your posting reads as aimed at imaginary people - products of an imagination crippled by an unwary and inadequately corrected internalization of Rand's.

That take on Rand's heroes has not been running the US Federal Reserve, launching wars and building jails, or motivating the dominant faction of my political circumstances, for my entire adult life. It's a misconstrual of the protagaonists of a couple of teenage boy's sociological SF novels, quite possibly derived from rumor and skim.

On the other hand:
    Why yes. And that fantasy point of view, uncorrected by reality since the youthful years of its acquisition, has been the foundation of (for example) US national banking and financial industry oversight since the early 1980s if not before. The consequences, as in all attempts to govern communities of adults according to teenage fantasies, have been ugly.

At least with the "Objectivist Principles" of Kipling's Jungle Book, say, there was some provision for the raising and education of children by a community of adults, the mutual governance of interdependent people in communities over many generations, some warning of the teenage boy against the hubris that is one of the standard inclinations, that kind of thing. One can object to some of the influences of Kipling's writings as traced through the years of the British Empire, but they weren't all disastrous.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Of course, when I say "I always remember I'm one of them" in some other thread, it often leads to a kind of nauseating despair.
    All to often, this is the kind of... thought... one is exposed to. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.