Aviation Safety

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by naturallygorg, Mar 29, 2017.

1. naturallygorg Registered Member

Hi. Our family loves to travel when we have time. Next month we are going to visit Singapore. Every time we travel I pray hard that our plane won't crash. I always wonder what the aviation industry does to make sure all the passengers of the planes are safe?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

They follow the FAA mandated rules for passanger planes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The God Valued Senior Member

Well you are not alone in fearing about this.

But I expect that thread will develop nicely and many reasons for air disaster and also technology and safety aspects will be taken up, which may assuage your anxiety.

The general fear is turbulence. Let me assure you that passenger aircrafts are capable of handling quite severe turbulence which is highly unlikely that even a pilot would experience in his entire life. So yes, you will feel uncomfortable, very fearful, but the aircraft will not crash or tear apart due to turbulence. And it is not that pilot is going to fly in severe turbulent weather even though aircraft is capable of handling. There are reliable ways and means to avoid the flying in severe weather.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They use multiple techniques to make sure that the average passenger in an airliner is about 20,000 times safer than the average passenger in an automobile. You could take a flight from any airport to any other airport EVERY DAY and you will still die of old age long before anything bad occurs on your airliner.

Despite 9/11 and all the other crashes, flying on a commercial airliner is still the SAFEST way to travel.

Even if you live within walking distance of your nearest airport, you are 1,000 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, than to die on the plane.

Your life is full of risks that you never think of. The most dangerous animal in the USA is the deer. More than 100 Americans die every year in collisions with deer. If you live in Wyoming, you're more likely to crash into a bison, killing everyone in your car.

If you smoke tobacco, then you might as well stop worrying about dying from any other cause.

American adolescents have a horrible distinction: the only demographic group in the USA, which are most likely to be killed by a gunshot.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You guessed it, they also pray very hard.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Lots of testing. Maintenance schedules. Spare part tracking. Pilot training. Automated aircraft stability and SOE systems. Oxygen systems. Redundant control, warning and communications systems. Use of materials that are stronger, lighter and less toxic than older materials. Real time tracking. Mandated ELT and emergency equipment. Design for rapid evacuation. Just to name a few things.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Your chances of dying in a car accident are way, way higher than dying in a plane crash.

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Nothing at all. It is only by the grace of Aerial, the god of the ether, that such metal behemoths stay afloat, buoyed by her tender caress and pushed along by the gentle exhalation from her kiss. Without the ongoing prayers to her, planes would fall out of the sky like elephants... if they were inside a plane.
    The contrails you see from planes passing overhead are actually the scars they cut into the fabric of reality as the objects hurl through what is possible into the realm of impossibility, save for Aerial's support. Pilots do nothing but pray from the moment they board to the moment they alight, with turbulence being due to the improper thoughts and conduct of the cabin-crew.

Alternatively it could be years of development, education, learning, experience, training, failures, research, and the sheer desire not to kill all their passengers that has led to air travel, as others have said, being an incredibly safe means of travel (per passenger mile), with prayers to a deity so far not having been reported as a major (or even minor) cause of aircraft safety.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  12. The God Valued Senior Member

Naturallygorg,

Pl google search 'gimli glider' and read about it. The competence of pilots and technological beauty even few decades earlier was so good.

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

On the bright side, both the aircraft and the crew were capable of getting down safely.

14. naturallygorg Registered Member

Thanks for your responses. I feel sometimes that it is anxiety that my family feels burdened about it. I have been having this fear ever since I can imagine despite the assurance and all I read online, nothing seems to work for me. This greatly affect my career as well. I could have been sent to a lot of business trips abroad but I beg off. Difficult situation really. I have made some research on aviation safety management, passenger safety and everything else to calm me down during flights but I guess that added salt to my wound.