Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by kmguru, Dec 24, 2009.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Didn't somebody say that Dune was the same thing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

If you want absolute terms...you are right. All human expression have prior art all the way back to the dawn of the human expression itself. Then you are discussing philosophy and a priori, a posteroi crap....

When you file a patent, you are required to show prior art too, but people get patents...zillions of them...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mouse88 Registered Member

I am still pretty unconvinced with the biology of the creatures like say bones enforced with Carbon fiber.... But this movie is the best movie I have seen in years.

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Finally saw it, a few hours ago, not in 3D though, they don't have that fancy stuff around here.

9. Henrik77 Registered Senior Member

Extremely moralistic, a waste of time!

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

11. kmguru Staff Member

12. kira Valued Senior Member

It was a bit late, but I FINALLY got the chance too see it yesterday with my boyfriend

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. We watched the 3D version in Köln Cinedom and I absolutely LOVED it! Too bad it was dubbed in German and no English subtitle either, so I don't get to hear the original sound and missed some details :bawl: For example, I don't understand why Neytiri realized that she had to put oxygen mask to the real Jake in that machine box near to her. Did the blue Jake tell her before about his real human body and the whole thing with the machine box..?? I must have missed it...

Anyway, I am looking forward for its sequel, I hope there will be one! Also, before the movie got started, there was some movie thrillers trailers advertisement. One of the thriller trailer was about a 3D movie of Alice in Wonderland (with Johnny Depp in it). It looked absolutely awesome, I wanna watch it. When will it be played, or has it been played already..??

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. kmguru Staff Member

I am glad you liked it Kira. It may take 2 to 3 years before the sequel is done on Avatar. Alice is scheduled to be released on March 19th. It could be a half-assed 3D as word is, some of the movie is shot in a regular camera.

14. kira Valued Senior Member

Oo..oo.. thanks for the info, kmguru, I definitely going to watch Alice! The trailer of Alice was too short, but I was completely shocked when a girl falls down to this hole in a 3D effect

, that was the beginning of the 3D experience.. then I was completely "ooooh.. uuuh.." during the whole Avatar movie.. sometimes I took out the 3D eye glasses to compare with and without glass

glad that there will be sequel of Avatar! Yesterday in the avatar movie, there was this thing that look like Jellyfish floating very near to me, I wanted to catch it

15. milkweed Valued Senior Member

I saw it yesterday also and thought it was a very Fun to Watch movie. I am glad I saw it on big screen rather than waiting for it to be released on dvd.

When Neytiri begins talking to Jake in English he asked her if she had gone to the schools. Remember in the conversations at the base where they talked about having tried to negociate with the natives and setting up schools and such?

When Jake is first brought in front of the chief (dad) and mom, they knew he was a dream person. There had been contact for a few years before Jake gets there, so yes she could have known about the masks.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and somehow missed this thread. I thought it was the best movie I've seen since "The Dark Crystal." They have much in common, basically "sense of wonder," the trait that every reviewer and editor reminds us is the essence of sci-fi and fantasy. Both of those films had non-stop sense of wonder from start to finish. Awesome, richly drawn milieus with constant surprises and very few connections to our reality to allow us to get our bearings. Both stories were basic and archetypal--the eternal battle of good vs. evil--and characterization was secondary. ("Mainstream" critics always blast sci-fi for its thinly-drawn characters but they don't understand that the milieu is the star, not the individuals.) In both the sense of wonder was helped along by technology--CG in "Avatar," Muppetry in "Crystal." Both were big on whimsy and kept winking at us to show that they did not fall into the trap of taking themselves too seriously.

So yes, I loved it. Possibly my second favorite movie of all time next to "Dark Crystal." It's rare to get that consistent, non-stop sense of wonder on the big screen, probably because until now it was just too difficult and expensive. "Star Wars" had it. I thought "The Wizard of Oz" had it, but I was only eight and in 1951 there was nothing like it. "Lord of the Rings' almost had it for me, and possibly the reason I say "almost" is that I wanted it to look like my own mental image of the book, not somebody else's. And because I was waiting expectantly for the final scene in which the world becomes round and all the magical creatures fly off into what was rapidly turning into Outer Space. Such a powerful metaphor for the loss of innocence, and I really missed it.

Sense of wonder is a bit easier to do on the small screen: "Farscape," "Angel," "Kyle XY," the first seasons of "Stargate SG-1." I was a cynical hippie when "Star Trek" came out but I'll take the Trekkies' word that it had it too.
    It's unreasonable to expect individuals or even corporations to make decisions that will not pay off relatively soon, e.g., anything remotely to do with sustainability or the environment. That is, theoretically, why we have governments, because they are eternal and can afford to take a long-term perspective. Unfortunately most governments have fallen into the trap of short-term thinking.
    Not everyone is an action fan. I enjoyed it for the artistry, and, as I said above, the overwhelming sense of wonder. Incessant explosions would have ruined it.
    So you think Nuremberg will have been forgotten by then?
    Obviously a President who was nothing more than a puppet of the energy industry and who started a war to advance its interests was one of the inspirations for this story.
    This is why the fandom of sci-fi literature and the fandom of sci-fi film and TV do not overlap enormously. A high degree of integrity is expected in literature, whereas in a medium that presents the story visually, "suspension of disbelief" is encouraged. A well-done visual story drags you along so breathlessly that you don't have time to realize you have suspended your disbelief.
    Not to anyone who has been reading the news since the start of the Bush Oil War. Of course I, and hopefully most people, understand that the miscreants who have been put on trial are a small minority, but they sure are a highly visible one, and to anyone who thinks the current war is illegal, immoral, and is doing more harm than good, they are a symbol of everything that is wrong with America since the term of our one and only Flower Child President expired and his eternal nemesis, the Oafish Frat Boy, took over.
    Again, not if you live in America--or any of the other huge countries or many of the small ones.
    You are obviouslly a reader, not a viewer. Suspension of disbelief is difficult for you.
    Perhaps not after all. You're just stepping outside and being clinical. Nothing wrong with that. Still, you need to have more respect for the mechanism of suspension of disbelief. It's the primary difference between literature, which you can re-read and analyze, and visual media, which proceed in real time. Even non-SF like "24" relies heavily on SoD.
    "Sense of wonder."
    Civilization has been an eleven thousand-year project to transcend nature and rebuild our universe the way we want it. (In fact our species and its ancestors have been transcending nature with our tool-building long before the Neolithic Era.) So it was inevitable that one day we'd become so adept at it that we could change the surface of the planet itself.

And BTW, doesn't tectonic activity beat water erosion?
    Indeed. The critics said that the reason we were so able to connect with the future presented by "Star Wars" was that it looked like a future that had been lived in.
    Okay, at least it doesn't violate relativity. But the energy required to accelerate to such a high fraction of light speed so quickly--and then decelerate!--would be... well I'll let one of our math whiz kids calculate it, but I'm sure the cost would be equivalent to the GDP of the entire planet (in any century) for a couple of years. And then there's the problem of carrying it.
    You missed "Heat" and "Ishtar"?
    All together now, repeat after me: "Suspension of disbelief!" The simple fact that they look so much like us is one of the features of the movie that makes it as much fantasy as sci-fi. The rest of their biology pales in comparison. If you read a story about an alien planet on which the creatures are crystals, blobs of goop or flashes of light, you can still find it engaging. But when you see it with your own eyes it has to conform much more closely to the visual paradigms you're accustomed to in order to maintain your interest--or even your comfort.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. Gustav Banned Banned

what is a theater? where can i find one?

18. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

best movie i have ever seen, warning tho once u see it when you come out you will be a bit depressed that we as humans dont have the connection to our earth that they do, and realize how much of our earth we are destroying

19. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Turn left, carry on for 100 yards, then take a right.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Blue girl knew all along the new blue people were actually humans (that can't breathe the air).

----------------

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/aliceinwonderland/

OMG, that looks amazing! Johnny Depp and Tim Burton! The whole movie looks like a Mark Ryden painting.

21. kira Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation. I know that I must have missed some details, because my German isn't perfect yet (the movie was dubbed in German and no subtitle).

OMG, thanks for the link, I am so excited to watch it!! :yay: 3D movie with rich colour and scenery is absolutely awesome!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Alice In Wonderland looks good and I will have to watch it in 3D. But, didn't Johnny Depp look a bit like Elijah Wood? By a bit I mean, he looks exactly like Elijah Wood???

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So I finally saw Avatar.

It was amazing!

I saw it in 3D; it's just so engrossing. I was almost moved to tears. Avatar was superb. Granted, there were some things that didn't make sense. But it was still a brilliant movie; I didn't know which side I was on.