Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Athelwulf, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'm very frustrated right now about the 40x40 Avatar size limit. All the good pictures I find on the Internet are too big, even after I cut out all the excess. So I have to resize them. But when I do that, they get distorted and don't look cool anymore.

I realize that large Avatars can be distracting, but I propose just a 10-pixel increase, so the limit is 50x50. I've found a way to get a version of my favorite pictures that will fit into a 50x50-pixel frame.

A 10-pixel increase isn't very much. A 50x50 is no more distracting than a 40x40.

Whoever controls the max Avatar size (maybe Porfiry?), please consider this request for an increase in size. I dunno if people here want them larger, but I can settle with 50x50. I'm literally begging.

Thanks for considering . . . or at least reading. Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness to all!

- Âðelwulf

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Honestly? I just use the nearest application to scale any given image to 40 x 40; the only reason it takes me any time at all is because I'm using iPhoto instead of something like Graphic Converter.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I can resize a photo, but it becomes distorted and it doesn't look good anymore.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Photoshop.....pictures gets distorted and pixelated when your blow them em, not reduce em.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

But I don't have it.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I had to make this avatar because my previous were not legible when scaled down to 40x40. PhotoShop Pro 7 you can priate off Kazaa will do it all.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I don't even know how to use Kazaa. Also, I don't wanna risk getting sued.

11. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

Wait...you can download programs from Kazaa? And they work? What kind of programs

can you download? What about pc games???

I can't believe I never knew this!

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes you can. Hackers usually produce a ripped version of official software, be it application or game. They usually take some stuff out such as movie sequences to reduce the size of the game.

I don't like ripped games though. But you can use them sometimes to see if you really like a game before you buy it.

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

14. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

We did have 50x50 avatars in the past. Dave had to reduce the size back to 40x40 and removed the signatures to save space on the server (money). He tried in earnest to get members to donate money to sciforums so that we could have larger avatars and signatures at the bottom, but the donations never materialized.

I had a 50x50 avatar but lost it when I began to rotate my avatars periodically. I see that sargentlard's avatar is still 50x50, but it will probably be reduced back to 40x40 if he changes it.

When I make an avatar, I usually crop the photo in as close as I can (& make it exactly square), and still have a recognizable pic. I then resize the photo to 40x40. It's a compromise, but unless I and others start donating, we should consider ourselves lucky to have an avatar at all.

ps. One other thing, I use my photo editor to bring up the contrast & sometimes adjust the color saturation/hue/value, ect.. It can help a little.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I've always wondered why some people's avatars are bigger than mine. Why the hell?!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

cause they had theirs before the 40 40 limit was imposed. they carried over. ergo ergo ergo.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is not the size that matters but the way you use it.

18. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

use it for what?

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

How can I know? They tell me I am stupid.

20. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

they tell me im stupid as well. so neither of us knows? thats just great........

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe 'wat' is how you express innerself by means of an image.

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

wat?

so your saying ive got no inner imagea? *gets in your face with broken bottle*
    ?

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What I'm saying is that I'm too stupid to know what 'what' really is. Then I made a stupid guess on what 'what' really is. Now you were stupid enough to think that what I said is really what 'what' is. Do I make myself clear?