Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Captain Kremmen, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Is the 3d film Avatar

1. Fair

5.0%
  2. Good

10.0%
  3. Very Good

20.0%
  4. Excellent

50.0%
  5. Bad

10.0%
  6. Woeful

5.0%
  1. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

first of all, i wanted to give it an excellent, but i refuse to give the highest rating to a movie which was so conventional. its a great movie that i'd recommend to anyone who likes an action movie (at all), but theres nothing original about it in my opinion.

its a movie. but:
    sigourney taught them english
    why would the avatars be killed instantly - what motivation do the savages have to do that? living things were valued for their own livingness.
    because its recognisable. this is a "cut the movie some slack" scenario.
    cos humans are teh bestzorz. humanoids are suited to using their intelligence and a variety of tools though, which is conducive to developing culture/society.
    cos they want the rocks (which are allergic to nukes)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I found the movie very throbbing, but there were story line elements that bother me and me alone

1. Pandora: and unlikely world

Its very unlikely that a gas gaint big enough to support terrain moons would form in the Alpha Centauri system, planetary formation models never manage a world beyond 2 earth masses, its a binary star systems its very unliekly it could grow a gass gaint.

2. What with the air?

The claim is the air has high CO2, SH2 and even HCN levels, if so even exposed skin would be irritated by that and more so it could not have high oxygen content and high concentrations of those reducing gases at the same time. Now if they had claimed pandora had double the air pressure and like 80% CO2 that would have made for a breathable atmosphere for humans, under those conditions it doubtful humans could even be adapted to breath that without our blood turning to soda pop acid.

3. Unobtainium: the most blatant metaphor

What the fuck is it? It certainly is no terrestrial element and we got all possible stable elements right her on earth. Sure with a name like un-obtain-ium you know it simple a metaphor for expensive stuff that in this case requires moral sacrifice to gain but still they could have given it a better back story and a less obvious name.

4. To Alpha Centauri in 5-6 years

That 80% the speed of light, even with antimatter as claimed that impossible, you would need at least some kind of physics bending propulsion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The part that made the least sense is why the idiot didn't tell the smurfs from the beginning that they were in danger. He got to the village on his first day out in the jungle. When he woke up, he told the military what happened. Then went he went back to the village, why didn't he tell his smurf friends what the military was planning? It really really bugged me throughout the course of the movie. He was hanging out. Learning, and spending time with his blue friends who should have been told on his first day there what was going on.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

just pretend its in an alternate universe with different physics. its made up man.

Cos he wanted his legs back, cos he knew what their reaction would be - they were going to fight regardless. he wanted to stay with them, with the chick he was with. They tried to kill him then ostracize him when he told them.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The movie was clearly badly written. The protagonist clearly had no character from the onset of the movie. They should have really put way more emphasis on his greed and stupidity as a soldier from the start. Thus it would make more sense that he would do what he be more into the plan of the bad guys that he was working for.

Because any intelligent protagonist would have easily manipulated the whole situation. Informed the natives of the evil operation. Play dedicated soldier. Give the humans something that will satisfy them in order to get his legs back. Then execute a highly strategic plan to nail the humans. But of course, that would have too much sense. Not to mention a bit too difficult for inferior script writers to write a film in that direction.

BTW, has anybody read Call Me Joe?

9. Sirius83 Registered Senior Member

I really liked AVATAR. Sure it could have been deeper but it was still an excellent film. My only irk was that Cameron got away with calling the mineral Unobtainium!

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

He got away with doing alot of really lame kindergarten filmaking crap.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I 2nd that, if he was not making battle angel with this new 3D salivating cinematography I would have found that movie rather bad. All that movie had going for it was great special effects and action the likes of which makes Michael Bay cry.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I think the best action sequence that movie makers have yet to learn from is Trinity killing police officers in Matrix 1. They had alot of action sequences in Avatar, but nothing that really punched the audience. Even Superman getting shot in the eye had punch.

13. kmguru Staff Member

If the aliens would be speaking in a strange language, you would not understand it. It would be a flop and a business loss. Same way, if you try to see the full spectrum of what they see, you will only get half the information. So, consider language and visuals as a presentation only.

Yes kissing and shaking hands is primarily a western custom - again consider that as greeting or affection only. Vulcan salute does not have that impact nor does the hitler salute.

The alien stories can only be told with human base, more like from a western culture POV for a successful business activity...so you have to adjust to that.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

On the other hand, a film totally spoken in an unknown invented Alien language would attract a lot of language geeks. Especially if all the language glossaries were burnt, and everyone sworn to secrecy.
    They could get an audience of thousands.

I've just realised in the past couple of days that the version I saw wasn't the 3D one.
    I thought that it wasn't very 3D at the time, and I did comment to the people with me that it as great not having to wear any glasses.
    There were some bits, however, where I thought the 3D was very good.
    Just shows how expectation can fool your brain!
    Or maybe I'm a bit dim.

15. Sirius83 Registered Senior Member

They would also lose an audience of millions in the process.

General response to the language criticism on the thread:

Wasn't it implied during the movie though that Grace had been there for quite some time teaching the Na'vi the English language? I distinctly remember a scene where the characters were talking about all the things they offered the Na'vi in an attempt to make them move peacefully and among them was an education.

It can therefore reasonably be expected that by the time Jake arrived sufficient time had passed for some members of the Na'vi to have learned our language. I didn't see that as a flaw in the film as a reasonable explanation was established beforehand.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wasn't that mexican girl in his other movie too? Aliens.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No, he just likes Hispanic girls, hey did anyone see any Asians?

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It was never actually spelled out that Ripley and her sidekick has been interacting with them to the extent of getting into the village, and educating them. I don't know why they had to make the whole thing such a mystery. You find out smurfette is speaking English. Then later, you find out "oh, Ripley already went in there teacing them."

If I did see any asians, they weren't featured to be significant enough to be remembered. I did see blacks. Yes they were all dressed up in blue. So it seems in the future, white pople are still large and in charge.

19. countezero Registered Senior Member

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah a common problem in hollywood were Asians are sideline, if you look up that other avatar movie you'll see how bad that problem is.

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What other avatar movie? The one from the cartoon?

22. kmguru Staff Member

Only in Hollywood...what a wishful thinking...

I admit, lately you see Indians working in Computer technologies in the TV and movies. I was told, it is hard to find them without going to Bollywood. May not be trying hard.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The other Avatar Airbender movie is by another director who typically only uses white people in his movies. So it's probably no surprise there will be no blacks or asians in it.