Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Captain Kremmen, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Is the 3d film Avatar

1. Fair

5.0%
  2. Good

10.0%
  3. Very Good

20.0%
  4. Excellent

50.0%
  5. Bad

10.0%
  6. Woeful

5.0%
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It says that reviews and previews shouldn't be watched for a movie you plan to see. I just watched the trailer for the first time a minute ago. I had no clue what this movie was about or who was going to be in it when I walked in. All I knew was that it was the guy who did Titanic/aliens/terminator/etc, he hasn't made a real movie in a long time, it's a scifi, and it's 3D. Never saw a trailer or even the slightest glimpse or commentary about the movie before I watched it. Not to mention the part about being 3D was total bolloks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. countezero Registered Senior Member

That's not been my experience. I pretty much know exactly what will happen in this movie, just as I did in Titanic, another simplistic plot full of stereotypes, based on previews and reviews. It's not like this movie is complicated.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

saw it last night,the story was big hairy balls but the visuals were beautiful.
    cameron seemed to get confused with what he was preaching about,native americans?vietnam?iraq?some genuinely HORRIBLE lines,"shock and awe" "fight terror with terror" "preemptive strike" if you are going to try an allegory then dont flat out say what you are talking about and basically wink at the camera.some horrible bits about religion aswell,infact the more i think about the story the worse it gets...
    still,very shiny

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Could whoever changed my poll, change it back so that we can see who voted for what.
    It's not something that needs to be kept secret.

8. countezero Registered Senior Member

If they actually used those phrases, then that pretty much settles it: I won't be going to see such tripe dressed up as "meaning."

9. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Avatar looks good, the acting’s okay and the story is crap.
    They’ve basically stolen the story of Pocahontas! We get 2 and a half hours of preachy tree hugging crap. Now I’ve got nothing against environmentalism but I don’t go to Science fiction movies looking for my daily eco-fix!
    But it looks amazing! Its worth seeing it just visually, but why, o why can’t we have an interesting plot as well? Can’t Americans write original screen plays anymore?

10. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

its still worth it for the shiny,just get a little stoned and take an ipod with you.

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Thats what I'm gonna do...Imax!!!!!

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There are 3 versions in the closest cinema, 2D, 3D and 3D XD which is probably the IMAX version....

The working title was Fern Gully with the wolves...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. countezero Registered Senior Member

They could, if movies like this didn't make millions. Or at least, that's the point some of us are making. Trash begets trash. And now the most expensive movie ever made has a story that wouldn't pass in a comic book.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

How come despite creating the 'avatar' the military cannot monitor what it says and does and discover the fact that Mr Wheelchair is a turncoat?

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I agree that the dialogue in this movie was awful. Dialogue is one of the most important things that makes movies memorable. The lines were really really bad including the blatant phrases mentioned above. The storyline was fairly predictable and unintricate. But crying about environmentalism themes is just like crying about any theme any scifi movie has. It's the theme of the movie, so why ask for anything different? This movie is a scifi so there shouldn't be any environmental theme? That's absurd. That's like saying that Star Wars shouldn't be about gay robots following some guy with a sword.

The point is to protect your mfing planet, and kill whoever is doing damage on it. That's why we have ecoterrorism on Earth. To protect our planet from civilizations that destroy it instead of nurture it. And this movie isn't an exageration of the reality. In fact, that village probably would have been seized for much less than "unobtanium". This shit still goes on today. It reminds me of an island my brother lives on. It was taken from the natives who lived there to turn it into a resort. Same goes for a village sitting on gold. They stole the land for the gold, and there was nothing the natives could do about it.

In terms of acting, the worst actor of the movie was the protagonist. Reminds me of the girl who plays Princess Mononoke in Princess Mononoke.

All this aside, it's still one of the best movies made. Even Star Wars ep 1-3 is worth watching. So is LOTR. Avatar will keep you captivated with some really amazing scenes. The shuttile to the planet (moon), landing on the planet, the facility, the training grounds, the jungle, the smurf village, the battle sequences. Even some of the characters were interesting. If you're going to watch a movie, watch this one. Just don't bother with the 3D version. It sucks.

If you want an enjoyable intricate story with fairly decent visuals and some of the most excellent dialogue ever, you can watch this in HD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDFsoymfOPk

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I have given the film an Excellent, despite its many faults.
    The plot could be written on a matchbox, but the film is still three hours of visual wonderment.
    The most beautifully painted hippy camper van there ever was.

The film was very anti military, and anti American.
    Why does America spend so much money putting itself in a bad light?

Maybe Americans can afford the luxury of being anti-military because they have never been invaded.
    We (UK) value and praise our army, even while we hate them being dragged into needless wars.

I don't think such a film could be made in any other country. Or by any other country.
    If it depicted Jews or Arabs or Indians as such brutal moneygrabbing numbskulls, it would be condemned as racist.

Can anyone explain to me, simply, how a three dimensional effect can be shown on an ordinary cinema screen, without wearing glasses?
    I was still expecting to wear some kind of glasses.

I wonder if this kind of technology is backwards compatible.
    I would love to see the Lord of the rings in this format.

17. countezero Registered Senior Member

This is a puerile rant that may or may not excuse terrorism. I'm not sure. Either way, it's filler like this that makes me want to steer clear of a movie that so appeals to your sort.

Meanwhile, back on my theme of what Avatar says about the business, we have reviews like the following from Time:

"(Avatar) will define what movies can achieve, not in duplicating our existence but in confecting new ones. The story may be familiar from countless old movies, from those made out of Hollywood such as Dances With Wolves (an American grows sympathetic to the tribes he was meant to annihilate) to Apocalypse Now (and any number of anti-imperialist war epics), through to those made abroad, like this year's District 9 set in South Africa (where a human becomes part-alien and is hunted down by his old own kind). Some of the dialogue in Avatar's opening sequences may be on the starchy side - Cameron was never a great director of actors nor sympathetic to their sensitive needs - but objections shrink to quibbles, and then simply disappear, in the face of the picture's unprecedented visual flourishes."

So in other words, story, dialogue and originality do not matter when set beside the visuals $200 million can buy. . .

It's one of the joys and pains of having an incredibly liberal society, wherein people are allowed to trash the nation and its most honorable institutions. It's also the product of a Hollywood culture that has disliked what America is and what it does since the mid-60s.

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Everybody is anti-Anerica because America is an evil militaristic country. It began as a country that fought for freedom from British militaristic domination, and turned into a monster of even worse proportions.

Intelligent people are anti-military because it uses its guns and fire power to kill people and destroy lives instead of protect them. Nobody hates the Swiss military. Switzerland has the world's dominating research facility, and financial center of all world banks including the Federal Reserve.

Everybody wants to be independent of America's evil, but cannot because America goes around and takes what it wants. And will kill everybody in site for no reason.

That's why it's time to establish an independent nation of freedom from American fascist oppression:
    "When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

If that was your village being killed like that, there's only one solution. Strap on some firepower, walk right into the military base, and unibomd they're ass.

Liberals are just as dumb as conservatives. They're not intellects. They're pseudointellects that have no concept of the real issues at hand.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I thought they were monitoring him, they were watching what he saw on a screen.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

They were too busy working on the ability to mindlink bodies and travel through spacetime in suspended animation to learn how to embed bugs and tracking devices into the multimillion-credit avies that they engineered. Not to mention they decided it would be more fun to use satellite surveilance from the 1980s than implement technology to actually listen in on everything that is going on in the village with eyes unclouded by hate. Yes, it's clear that the creator of this movie had no idea what the hell he was doing, and BSd his whole way into a final product. If somebody can land a job with a fake resume, and a politician can BS his way into the presidency despite being completey unqualified to do anything, then no doubt, a director who can't write more than a cheap thriller if his life depended on it can get away with really really cheap writing.

This movie has some of the cheapest writing ever. When you don't foreshadow. When you don't do things that actually make sense, you can use any cheap trick to make things convenient for the sake of the story. The protagonist is fighting the antagonist, and is losing. Suddenly, a lightning bolt comes out of nowhere for no reason, and kills the antagonist just to move the story along.

Even the whole battle was cheap bullshit. Let me write a story where the character prays to Jesus. Then I will make the good guys start dropping like flies and losing the war. Then make Jesus send all the animals on the planet defeat the bad guys. Why? Because I'm an idiot director who does exactly the opposite of what it would take to make the audience say "Wow. What a brilliant movie!".

Avatar was anything but a brilliant movie. What I can say is that this movie accomplished something that alot of movies especially Eyes Wide Shut could not pull off. Clocking in at 2 hours and 41minutes, this movie packed in all the sequences it needed to satisfy the audience without being another long boring pile of superfluity. Even Titanic which was about 15 minutes longer left the audience feeling like the movie was too long. Conversely, just when you're feeling like you're getting half way through Eyes Wide Shut, it ends. Leaving you in the state of wtf. If Avatar resolved right at the destruction of the village, it would have been really screwed up.

Move on to the scene where the 3 of them get thrown into jail for no reason. Let's not forget, it was Donald Trump's idea to let them go into their avies for an hour to bring about a diplomatic solution. So when time's up, the bad guys decide to just unplug them even though the sidekick told them it was too dangerous. Why? Just because the writer could not find a better way to put them into prison.

What should have happened? They go into their avies for an hour. After it doesn't work, the bad guys destroy the village. And the bad guys tell the scientist to wake them up according to proper procedure. But because the writing sucks, they needed some cheap reason to put them into jail. So instead, the bad guys wake them up, and the scientist gets into a fight. Then they all end up in prison. Wow.

21. countezero Registered Senior Member

Brilliant post.

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Mmmmhh..... A 3D version of Noah. I like it.

As regards using long distance missiles and surveillance equipment, one of the effects of the Unobtainium was to disrupt communications.

23. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Princess Mononoke in Princess Mononoke, or Pocohontas! Same story Whatever! It's unoriginal, If your going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars making a movie at least have an original screenplay.
    I know lots of really good writers who could have done something really memorable with the Avatar concept.
    Avatar is a pretty nothing of a film. OOOOO Shinny!!