Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Captain Kremmen, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Is the 3d film Avatar

1. Fair

5.0%
  2. Good

10.0%
  3. Very Good

20.0%
  4. Excellent

50.0%
  5. Bad

10.0%
  6. Woeful

5.0%
  1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Anyone seen it yet?

I'm going to watch it on Monday.
    So I can't vote myself till Monday.

From the little I've heard, it'll be unlikely that I will vote lower than VG or EX.

There will probably be spoilers on this thread, so I won't read anything until I've seen the film.
    I'm turning off any reviews on TV so I haven't got any previous expectations.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Nope, but from all the hype it seems that it was done very well with two more movies to follow after this one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm definitely going to see it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Saw it in 3D on Friday.
    Excellent movie, definitely worth seeing.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I heard the 3D wasn't worth it. It added depth to scenes, but nothing popped off the screen like you might expect.
    I want to go see it, but with teh husband all gimpy we won't. And it would be rude to go see it without him

9. Creeping Death Out of darkness came light Registered Senior Member

Its a cartoon!

10. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It's "Dances with Smurfs." Nice visuals and special effects, but they could have come up with a better plot. In fact, to facetiously call it Dances with Smurfs is not accurate, because "Dances with Wolves" had a more nuanced portrayal of both the whites and the Native Americans...whereas in Avatar there is no question that the invading Americans are Evil™ and the big blue natives are a new-agey, noble-savage-connected-to-Nature-in-a-deep-and-profound-way wet dream.

James Cameron supposedly went to all this trouble to create new plants and animals in a "rigorous" and "scientific" way for the film and what did he come up with? Cat people. With human feet. Wow. How alien. Even their voices are human. Despite being 10 feet tall, they are not even unusually deep. They also have their own language, which is often a sign of deepness, save that here all the important blue characters also speak English, so who cares what the unimportant characters have to say. The language is more a sign of the free time of James Cameron than an indication that the Navi have a distinct culture.

The Americans from the Evil™ Corporation are seemingly just as alien, if only because real Americans would notice the heavy-handed symbolism of the Giant Smurfs as Native Americans. I mean, they refer to the natives as "savages" and try to drive the nature loving peaceniks off their land so that we can mine some precious metal (or somesuch, they never explain what the magical resource we want is, save that it is worth a whole lot of money).

As for the blue peaceniks, why does a race that mourns the death of even the animals it hunts for food (God, they are so Nature Loving! Those Evil™ Americans sure have a lot to learn from these Smurfs, if only the humans weren't so greedy!) why do they even have a warrior caste? I don't know, since evidently this is the first fight they ever had, but luckily they are prepared. They still lose, sort of, in that they are losing when the writer pulls a stunning and clever deus ex machina out of his bunghole, and slathers it heavily all over the audience.

That's okay though, because tyhe audience is likely filled with Evil™ Americans too, so they need that shit bath as a wake up call to stop abusing nature and the natives who live in perfect kumbayah harmony with her.

The movie was pretty to watch, which is good because the lack of subtlety in the writing and characterization will melt you brain. By the end, "Ooo! Shiney!" may be all you need to be entertained.

Where is the option below "Fair?"

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I'm going to see it.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

3D or regular? Naked or clothed?

13. LogicalSkeptik Registered Senior Member

Saw it Thursday night, loved it. 3D IMAX is the only option if you want the full effect. I liked how objects didn't 'pop' out at you like most 3D films, it was more immersive. Even though the running time was almost 3 hours it did not feel long to me. The story carried itself well and I was completely satisfied when the credits rolled.

9.5/10 :bravo:

14. draqon Banned Banned

somewhere between good and very good. but neither good or very good.

15. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

What, like the Simpsons? Or South Park, Bugs Bunny? You haven't even seen it!

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

You mean Good + 1/2 ?

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I've seen it; it's very good; it will spawn some of the best selling video games of the next 5 years!

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Saw it in 3D I was fully clothed at the time.

19. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

As much as I agree with everything you wrote, I've stopped expecting (or rather, hoping for) intelligent plots from Hollywood so I've gotten used to judging a movie primarily based on shininess.

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Do you keep the 3D glasses on all the time or just at action scenes?

21. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

its a representation, which is exactly the same as what a camera or your eyes/brain offer.

22. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

yeah the game is coming out in 3d, i played it a while ago, pretty awesome. apparently you have to have an expensive tv to use it though.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There are quite a number of plot holes, but it's an entertaining action movie with special effects that will certainly blow your mind.

How did the aliens learn English?
    Why wouldn't the avatars be recognized as coming from the humans (and killed instantly)?
    Did both culture kiss? That seems a distinctly human custom.
    Why were they humanoid at all? Humans come from Earth.
    Why didn't the humans just nuke it?