Automotive question

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Magical Realist, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma pickup. When I turn my headlights on, the radio comes on. Why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Short in the wiring. Probably on the radio side.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

3 possible scenarios:
    1. toyota designed it as such.
    2. a previous owner wired it as such.
    3. a short between the headight circuit and the radio circuit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. heytogi Registered Member

Who wired this radio? Maybe the radio is not compatible with your truck model?
    I'm very curious. Listen, i'm gona check it out, i have a good source for that kind of problem.
    Let me a few days, i'll be back to you.
    see you later!

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I bought this truck brand new in 1999 from the Toyota dealer. The problem has only appeared in the last year.

9. el es Registered Senior Member

Do you always leave your radio knob on?

Do any other accessories come on?

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nothing else comes on except all the glowing indicators on the dashboard and the headlights. My radio knob has to be pushed to turn it on.It isn't on when I start the truck. It just turns on when I turn on the headlights. I think I need a new radio/cd player. It doesn't take CD's anymore and the station changing buttons no longer work.

11. elte Valued Senior Member

Many radios sense when the headlights are turned on in order to dim the display at night, if memory serves. A malfunction involving circuitry related to this feature could be causing the radio's power to come on with the headlights, especially since the radio seems to be plagued by other inoperative digital circuits.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Car radios are crap. I have a bloody Mercedes with a Bose system, and it barely works at all. The volume increases to painful levels near a power line--even when playing a tape or CD! And the in-dash single CD-player crapped out so I can only play CDs on the stacker in the trunk.

13. el es Registered Senior Member

A new radio will probably resolve the issue. For now, if you can, reach behind the radio and push away any cable bundle that may be touching the radio chassis.

if you want to, take the radio out to see if a wire is pinched in the chassis.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Tks for your help. Yeah..a new radio is definitely in order. Probably head over to Best Buy in the near future...

15. Harry2 Registered Member

Do you guys/girls not have infotainment diagnostics

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Warning - if the problem is in the wiring harness this won't solve the problem. Check ignition power (not battery power, ignition power) and ground with ignition on and off, and lights on and off. Most cars have a single harness you can unplug from the radio; this will give you access to the harness. See below:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have an aftermarket Pioneer with stereo radio and GPS system and it has been fine for 7 years. Pioneer has been making radios for well over 50 years and they still keep on trucking with good products.

18. zgmc Registered Senior Member

If you just want a working cd player/fm radio, check out your local pawn shops. I got one for $20, that was close to 300 when new. It even has an aux input for your mp3 player or phone.

19. birch Valued Senior Member

sometimes, you need to use your intuition. or in some cases, consider all the variables and how they connect. for instance, my vehicle is an '02 and the radiator cracked because i listened to someone else to get a new cap as the the seal on the old one was worn. what ended up happening was there was no escape valve for excess pressure to release (and the radiator is worn). if i just had kept that original one on, maybe i would just needed to refill the antifreeze once in awhile.