Australian History Lessons

Discussion in 'History' started by lizey, Apr 14, 2004.

1. lizey Registered Member

Okay, I've searched the forum and hopefully this is both the right place and a new topic.
    As someone who's in year 11 in Australia and has just finished her years of Australian History, I'm struck by the slant taken on issues which would *now* be considered prejudice-related.
    Let me clarify. Specifically the treatment of Aborigines, women's rights and the White Australia policy. All of these were judged by modern standards, and while yes, there were atrocities, this is not okay, and we shouldn't forget, we never looked at these things in a historical context.
    Anybody have anything to say about that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

I think you'll find these forums are overrun mostly with screaming lefties who regard anything happening in the past as being something we personally should feel guilty for even now. Get your hair shirt ready - you'll need it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think it was logical to class aborigine's as florae and fauna. A logic we would never see today.
    What was bad was how they treated florae and fauna in general. Thats the problem.
    The native florae and fauna of any country you plan to 'settle on' should be held in the highest regard ahead of everything else. Including the people trying to settle there.
    But if it tries to come into the cities it should be darted and released back into the wild.
    Seriously, aborgine's simply can not mesh with western society, not a slam on them, i can't track kangaroos or find food and water in the outback. Europeans and australian aborigine's are different animals adapted to different environments and lifestyles (which is all I've been trying to argue in the race threads).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.