Australia vs US Culture.

Discussion in 'History' started by madanthonywayne, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

no
    i am just very very good at reading b/w the lines

i see
    my lack of understanding is due to my lack of understanding

inerudite and unlettered much?

/snigger

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

you haven't a clue do you?
    just another dumb american redneck who thinks he automatically makes the grade by virtue of some ancestor who supposedly originated from england

the fucking cheek!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I'm actually from my mother's womb. But you get that.

No Brian. I am not from Madagascar. I am curious though about your superiority complex in the manner in which you worded your question. Why ask if I am from Madagascar as if it were an insult?

How racist of you, considering that the greater majority of the population of Madagascar are actually black. I never would have picked you as being such a racist to be so insulting about the very thought that someone could come from Madagascar.

For all you know Brian, I could be your very white neighbour, next door to you, watching you pick your nose through the open blinds in your living room.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Ha! You are desperate.

"Redneck." Yeah, a big gay redneck, with a college degree, who's bilingual by way of a foreign education. 'Cause there are so many of us!

This conversation get's more laughable the more you're in it. I state that there's nothing to be ashamed of because we're from a British colony and don't have super-distinct identities because of that virtue, and you contrive some garbled response that points to your own insecurities, inabilities and instabilities.

Yeah. Such cheek. I'm an American and I'm not embarrassed by it. Perish the thought!

You call other people "noobs", boy, but can't be bothered with cobbling together a sentence using correct punctuation, grammar or even a moment's thought to comprehend that which is in front of your eyes.

I'll say it again for you, using bolder terms: Those of us who identify ourselves as Anglo-Saxon or British culturally, do not and should not have to fret about creating some national identity. It's pointless. People who fret about culture, national identity, patriotism, nationalism usually lack any understanding of who they really are or where they are from. The Anglo-Saxon culture has never been a "single" thing. It grew out of Celtic, Norman, Roman, Jute, Viking and German invaders who settled in one land. Over time, it's assimilating and adjusting to the inclusion of other cultures (Mexican, African, Chinese, etc) to become something new. IT isn't finished forming, like, say, the French or Japanese cultures which are--obviously--considered "set." The richness of "this" culture is that it is not set or defined. It shifts and grows with each generation (at least, more so than most).

~String

8. Gustav Banned Banned

why do you reject your basque heritage?
    is it because they are swarthy?

/saddened

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

That is what you led me to believe on this thread US halts Madagascar aid over coup .
    You are really jumping to conclusions here Bells rather sensitive I may add.

10. superstring01 Moderator

I love the Basques. Little negative can be said about a people who's population is less than 8% of a nation, but who account for more than a third of it's GDP, and more than a quarter of all the doctors, lawyers, actors and other notable citizens. Just as well, one also has to respect the people who speak a language so ancient; so complicated that even [as Castilian legend goes] the Devil himself tried to learn Basque, but gave up due to frustration.

~String

11. Bells Staff Member

How in the world could you have come to that conclusion from that thread?
    No Brian. It was a query to your condescending tone in the manner you asked the question.

Maybe I should have been more overt in regards to my nationality. Make special note of the "we".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Why are you being so Bloody sensitive, I was under the belief you were not Australian born, whence the question mark.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Heh Mel gibson was just on Jay Leno and Leno asked him to sing Australia's national Anthem.

Naturally he started singing Waltzing Matilda, not Australia's national anthem, but should be.

So Mel sings the first parts, billabong and you know the "boring stuff" that only turns on historically minded Australians and just when he gets to the chorus, no one in the American audience joins in and Jay (also oblivious to the chorus) punks him to a commercial.

14. Fifteendaysofbliss Registered Member

Hey Asguard.

sorry, I didn't know that you had written to me until just now. I can't seem to attach URLs on here, so I'll create a playlist for you. Just go to youtube, then add /fifteendaysofbliss to the end of it.

15. Bells Staff Member

Let me guess, you usually don't mind so long as they are white.. right Brian?

16. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

We come in peace, shoot to kill. That is my impression of american culture. They live by the gun, many die by the gun, they have forced, by war, their idealistic doctrine on other nations, eg: vietnam. Their whole basis seems to be that America belongs to god and yet they are very racial in undertones, since the liberating 60s anyway; before that they were blatantly racist, openly. No Blacks allowed etc. I admit having never been there but that is how I see it.

Australia is a country riding on some sort of ego trip. Their men like to give the impression that they are super heroes, macho men, who can leap Ayres Rock on a single bound. They denegrate their women, or Sheilas, the same as they denegrate the aborigine, the TRUE Australian. Like America they shoot and kill for sport. Once it was Abbo's now kangaroos etc. Again, I have never been there, but thats my impression of the land of Australia. Incidently, I would love to visit both, but doubt if I will ever have the chance.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sounds like you've got your vision of Australia from watching Crocodile Dundee.

The number of shooters in Australia, by the way, is far far less than in the United States. Following a mass shooting at Port Arthur back in the mid 1990s, tough gun laws were introduced. Shootings are very rare.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yeah but Ned Kelly makes up for any difference.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I've stood right where that woman in the photo is standing.