Atlantis was real?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by nicholas1M7, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Andre Registered Senior Member

I can't believe that this thread survives in a scientific forum with all the meta-physics going on here.

How about some down-to-earth fact speculations.

The story of Atlantis can be found in the most original form in latin translations of two books of Plato, the Timaeus and the Critias (unfinished) both in dialogue form with Socrates. The originals seem to have been lost in the dark ages.

Comparisons of earlier and later translations show a true babylonical language confusion. For instance, later translations speak about the continent Atlantis whereas the word "continent" did not exist in old Greek. It wasn't discovered yet.

So that's all we have, but with that you can show the weakness of the logic. Invent a place where you want Atlantis to have been and you can bend the translations any way you like to fit with your favorite spot for Atlantis.

Strongest cases for Atlantis have been made for Thera, the Phoenicians and the story of the sea people as depicted on the temple of Medinet Habu. This could have been the inscripted stone that Solon, the single source ot Atlantis, had seen on which the story was written.

A friend my had found remarkable proof that Plato was distorting the story of the Sea peoples. This is in the names of the ten kings of Atlantis. All of them are homonyms of keywords and names in the story of the sea people. This makes the existence of a true Atlantis very unlikely.

Why I know all this? Because the alleged date of the destruction of Atlantis, 9000 years before Solons trip to Egypt would bring us to about 11,510 years before present, very close to the end of the Younger Dryas, with dramatic climate changes and perhaps glacial lake floodings. So you tend to give Atlantis a little more than a passing thought. Nevertheless, the evidence does not sustain it and we must consider the co-dating just an incredible coincidence.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Ah, Thera! That was the name I was looking for. Damn, why didn't I remember that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Especially since Devil's Reject suggested it yesterday a couple of posts above yours.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm only a layman but I'm convinced. The evidence is too striking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

www.atlan.org/ - 16k , Try this website. It has alot of articles that explain why Atlantis hasn't been found yet

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Apart from the fact that that site is "down" it has large picture of a book cover that specifically states "The Lost Continent Finally Found". That made the news - Previously lost continent discovered, found under the stairs at 33 Acacia Avenue.
    EDIT: not down - off-line

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  9. Novacane Registered Senior Member

I think any one who believes a 'so-called' joke of a psychic like her will also believe that George Bush will win re-election again for the third time.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am shocked. This is typical of the misleading, arrant nonsense that so often appears in relation to Atlantis. Broadbent, et al, 2004 in The Journal of PostCoital Archaeology, clearly show it was actually found at number 31.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Oh Ophiolite, any SERIOUS Atlantologist reads the Journal of PRE-Coital Archaeology. Let's face it, you only read the PostCoistal journal if you're already f*cked.

12. valich Registered Senior Member

I suppose that the reference above to the Aegean Island destroyed by the volcano is Pompeii, not Atlantis. What happened to the underwater evidence of the remnants of a civilization in the eastern Caribbean near the Bahamas? Still, how would it have gotten there if Atlantis existed around Plato's lifetime?

http://www.atlantisinsights.net/Carib.htm

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

A cursory consultation with primary school geography reveals that Pompei is not in the Aegean, was never in the Aegean, and unless there are substantial changes of plate movement, will never be in the Aegean.
    The volcano that is alleged to have destroyed what Plato called Atlantis is Santorini. Atlantis, by this reckoning was part of the Mycenean civilisation, based on Crete.
    Disputed.
    There is evidence, again disputed, that transatlantic trade was in process well before Plato's time. (Early Mediterranean pottery found in the Caribean, for example).
    If we are aquatic apes an early ability to sail long distances would not be too surprising. The aborigines had to have had ocean going vessels 60,000 years ago to get to Australia.

14. Andre Registered Senior Member

Then again, what happened to the symmetrical underwater structures in the Western Caribean, between Cuba and Mexico?

http://www.cuba.cu/ciencia/citma/ama/museo/exmari.htm

I guess that because of the end of the money of the original researchers, and the political red tape, it will still not go away.

Please note that the credentials of the author of these pages, Dr Manuel Itturalde Vinent, needs not to be disputed. He knows what he has seen.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

In science everything needs to be disputed.
    Anyone who thinks they know what they have seen has a poor grasp of the nature of perception and cognisance.

16. Andre Registered Senior Member

Most certainly, I agree; there is way to little disputation going on. But to distinguish Dr Itturalde from the herds of crackpots and visionaries with most ridiculous Atlantis claims, it seemed to be appropriate to elaborate his credentials a little and avoiding ad hominems like anybody-who-thinks-that-there-are-symmetrical-unnatural-building-like-structures-700-meters-below-the-sea-surface-must-be-a-lunatic

17. Novacane Registered Senior Member

What about New Orleans?

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Plenty of well-meaning, well-educated scientists have been wrong in the last few decades. It would seem that such claims of the fantastic generally suffer the same fate once evidence fails to pan out: they simply fade away without further ado. Much like a certain Diaz-Montexano.

(though he lacked any education or intelligence in comparison to Vinent)

19. Andre Registered Senior Member

However there are plenty of examples of cognitive dissonance where a disturbing ugly fact is simply silenced to death like Mexican in situ archeologic tools below a tephra layer of 251,000 years.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Atlantis or no Atlantis, but there are many sunken cities all over the world, probably one of them was the "archetype" (so to say) for the greek Atlantis legend.

21. valich Registered Senior Member

The documentary that I saw on the supposed Caribbean Atlantis was 10 or 20 years ago so I'm sure that these two references are one in the same. The Caribbean location is highly questionable and pure speculation. The fact is that the existence of Atlantis is either pure legend or else refers to Pompeii. This is the most likely location since Plato is the primary source, and his knowledge of Atlantis was passed down to him through legend.

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Pompeii? Pompeii was destroyed in 79 A.D. Plato's story is dated about 360 B.C.

So many sunken cities have been discovered that there can be no doubt that some advanced society somewhere sank between the waves.

23. Novacane Registered Senior Member

It seems like every ancient sunken city they find or discover these days was in one form or the other, an advanced society. However, not advanced enough to keep from being totally wiped out I guess.